Pioneer intros AppRadio touchscreen auto receiver | iLounge News

Pioneer intros AppRadio touchscreen auto receiver

image

Pioneer has introduced its new AppRadio touchscreen automotive receiver. Designed to work in conjunction with an iPhone 4 or fourth-generation iPod touch running iOS 4.2 or later, the AppRadio works with the Pioneer AppRadio app to enable access to Google Maps, as well as various third-party apps, including INRIX, MotionX-GPS Drive, Rdio, and Pandora Radio, and also uses Apple’s iPod Out feature to display the familiar iPod navigation menu, displaying album art, song title and artist, and offering direct access to custom playlists and Genius Mixes. Other features include a WVGA (800 x 480), 6.1-inch capacitive touchscreen, three physical buttons—volume up, volume down, and home—built-in Bluetooth for hands-free calling, an AM/FM radio with RDS text information display, an input for an optional vehicle mounted rear facing back-up camera, a 30-pin connector, an external GPS antenna, an external microphone for hands-free calling, a wired remote steering wheel control adapter, and an external amplifier via one set of preamp outputs. Pioneer’s AppRadio automotive receiver will be available in late June and is expected to sell for less than $500.

« Apple sued over videophone patents

Twitter acquires TweetDeck »

Comments

Now, if only someone would produce an automobile that allowed aftermarket radio swaps.

Posted by Farnsworth on May 26, 2011 at 8:01 AM (PDT)

lol,.. I’ve swapping head units all the time.  It’s very easy.  Once this one comes out then I’ll most likely get it and install in my F150 2008 truck :D

Posted by dennis on May 26, 2011 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

@Farnsworth all cars and trucks allow stock to aftermarket radio swaps, it’s easier than changing your headlights. (on certain brands)

This actually looks good, but can be probably be done with half the costs with a DIY Carputer either running Win xp/7, Linux or Mac OSX.

Posted by Joe on May 26, 2011 at 3:51 PM (PDT)

I’ve got a Panasonic HU in my Scion tC and it’s a darn good radio - one of the first to actually boast true iPod integration - and it’s a 2006.  Panasonic does well with Apple devices and I would love to swap that out in my car!
The controls also work through the steering wheel and while that might sound “so-so”, there were almost no cars that accommodated the iPad (now iOS devices) as well as that one did in 2006.  Looks to be a good upgrade.

Posted by sb on May 26, 2011 at 4:31 PM (PDT)

Oops, that shoulda been “iPod” in the next to last sentence…

Posted by sb on May 26, 2011 at 4:32 PM (PDT)

Have any of you seen a GM made in the last 10 years, or the current or previous Mazda3? (There are more examples. These are ones I’m familiar with.) The “radio” performs 100+ non-radio functions, which are lost if replaced with an aftermarket unit.

Posted by Farnsworth on May 27, 2011 at 4:43 PM (PDT)

i think there is too much generalizing going on here.
Farnsworth is partly right, there are a lot of higher end vehicles that either do not allow or just makes replacing nearly impossible and expensive.  Case in point 1st generation Nissan Murano.  Yet my previous generation Altima was not difficult at all to replace with an Alpine Digital Reciever. The newer Altima looks quite a bit harder.

Posted by Scottrey on May 27, 2011 at 10:34 PM (PDT)

I’ve replaced stereo head units from several vehicles and I agree that at times, the manufacturer requires additional plugs or connectors to have a 3rd party head unit to work correctly.  But you have to see the other end too.  Care stereo manufacturers manufacture brackets and slots specific to the vehicles specifications.  I do agree that a simple steering wheel adapter box is pricey.

Posted by dennis on May 31, 2011 at 5:32 AM (PDT)

I have a 2007 niisas murano. I want this radio AVH-P4300DVD. It wont fit. The stock one is wider and alittle less taller. How could I make this fit with out going crazy and paying alot of money. I would love to put it where the top display screen already is.

Posted by billy on June 7, 2011 at 7:45 AM (PDT)