Play random MP3s on iPod and avoid iTrip files | iLounge News

Play random MP3s on iPod and avoid iTrip files

There has been lots of discussion about how to play random MP3s without playing the iTrip tuning files. Well, I think I’ve got it figured out. If you delete the ID3 tag information from the iTrip mp3s (artist, album, and genre), they won’t show up if you browse by those categories.  You can set your iPod to random play however you prefer and those files won’t be in the pool of songs that get randomized.

« iPod 10GB 2G at BestBuy $199

Macworld Exhibit Guest Pass Giveaway »

Comments

Why not simply create a smart playlist on your iPod where the Composer or whatever is not Griffin Technology.  Then just select that playlist and go random.  Easier than erasing ID3 tags.

Posted by Oly on June 12, 2003 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

Couldn’t you set your iTrip to the prefered frequency, led mode etc. and then just delete the mp3’s?

Posted by Chris on June 12, 2003 at 5:03 PM (CDT)

To answer those 2 comments:

A. Actually, erasing the tags is easier, at least in Musicmatch.  You can select the files, select edit tags, select all, then erase the tags you don’t want.  I can do it in under 10 seconds.

B.  Sometimes you need to change the frequency in the car, especially around larger cities.

Posted by Eric on June 12, 2003 at 5:08 PM (CDT)

Actually you do NOT have to worry about it at all.

You CAN use the random function with the iTrip tracks.  The iTrip tracks are 5 second MP3’s that start with a sound, then silence and then another sound.  I read on a forum site (can’t remember where) that the second sound is a cancel command, so…

1st sound tells the iTrip what frequency to adjust to, then according to the instructions you need to pause the track so the iTrip accepts the command.

If you DO NOT pause the track then the second sound plays and tells the iTrip to ignore the previous command of frequency change.  It’s actually quite clever.

I’ve tested this out and it works.  Try tuning to a station and then going through all the rest of the iTrip frequencies….you’ll hear each one over your radio that you tuned to your original frequncy.

So you can use the random function, sure every now and then you get a strange blip through your speakers…annoying, yes, but a small price to pay I think.

Posted by stephen on June 12, 2003 at 9:55 PM (CDT)

I’d probably just reduce the number of iTrip tracks. Maybe down to 15? (Some FM tranmsmitters only have 3!) You still have the ability to retune—just pick a broad selection (and include the ones you need in your region) and delete the rest. They’d come up in rotation, but far less often.

I almost exclusively play Smart Playlists anyway—which makes it easy to eliminate the iTrip tracks.

Posted by nagromme on June 13, 2003 at 2:15 AM (CDT)

Is there any software for windows that will create smart playlists in the same manner as iTunes does?....or am I being really dumb and winamp does it anyway?

Posted by thejameater on June 13, 2003 at 7:49 AM (CDT)

I think Oly has the best solution. As least for people with iTunes. It would also take less than 10 seconds to create that play list saying anything but Griffin Technology. Sorry of MusicMatch isn’t as easy. But Apple is supposed to have a Windows version of iTunes out this year…

Posted by Sabon on June 13, 2003 at 12:29 PM (CDT)

Dump MusicMatch on Windows—use JRiver’s Media Center instead. Smartlists work great with the random attribute on. I hate having the iPod’s randomizer on, ‘cause it’s a pain to turn back off when I want to listen to an album in order.

Posted by Greg on June 13, 2003 at 12:57 PM (CDT)

Oh, and another thing I like about using JRMC’s random playlists. They are randomized at sync time, which means the random order remains constant until the next sync. Nice for me, as I switch back to a playlist at the same point I was listening before, and not have to hear the songs I already heard in that playlist.

Posted by Greg on June 13, 2003 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

If you delete the ID3 tags off the iTrip files, then how can you play them on the iPod to change the frequency?

Posted by billysardar on June 14, 2003 at 7:42 AM (CDT)

i have an idea…not being able to try this with the griffin files, but, what i did is made a smart playlist for all songs with either no rating or at least 2 stars, and limited it to certain genres or something to keep it similar…as the songs play, if i rate one 1 star, it drops out of the playlist!

Posted by ian meyer on June 16, 2003 at 10:32 AM (CDT)