PlayDock MP3 speaker system announced | iLounge News

PlayDock MP3 speaker system announced

imageCambridge SoundWorks has introduced the PlayDock MP3, a new portable speaker system for iPods and other MP3 players. The $199.99 system features an integrated dock that works with select devices, including the iPod, iPod mini, Creative Zen Micro, and the Dell DJ and Pocket DJ.

The PlayDock MP3 has a rechargeable battery that offers up to 10 hours of cord-free playback, a 15-watt powered subwoofer with 4-inch driver, and a three-driver amplified speaker design that “delivers rich, full-bodied sound normally associated with larger stereo systems.”

« Apple to hold Tokyo music event; Japanese iTMS imminent?

Poll results: How much space is left on your iPod? »

Comments

That thing’s pretty ugly. Not sure I could picture it sitting on my desktop.

Posted by Derek on July 26, 2005 at 2:16 PM (PDT)

I guess Creative Labs (a.k.a Cambridge SoundWorks), are finally trying to kiss up on Apples’ Butt! I wounder if you have to use the Headphones Jack with this Dock? Or does Apple ‘licence’ the Dock Connector to just anyone these days??

Posted by Ichijoe on July 26, 2005 at 2:30 PM (PDT)

This thing is pretty butt ugly.  We need something thin, light, attractive, and sounds good.  So far, there is really nothing on the market like that yet.  Bose is cool, but $300 is too much to cough up, and it’s not even that thin.  The front is deceiving since the base is thick.

Posted by cellphonejunkie on July 26, 2005 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

I am sticking with my Boise Roommate II portable systems that I purchae 5 years ago.  It is a portable system that still sound good to day.  Can see paying $300 for a systems that has have 1/2 of the watts of my Boise Roommate System.  My Boise system has travel around the world and it still kicking.

Posted by Charles on July 26, 2005 at 7:52 PM (PDT)

Maybe its just me…but I wouldn’t use anything that is also made to look good with a zen micro…and especially with the dell dj?!

Posted by Cody Barnett on July 26, 2005 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

Boise? wink

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on July 26, 2005 at 10:49 PM (PDT)

New?! I’m sure I’ve seen it before. Yes, it was companion for first Creative Jukeboxes five years ago! Just look here: http://itpro.no/omtaler.php?op=Maskinvare&id=477

Posted by poet on July 27, 2005 at 4:36 AM (PDT)

I own it. It may not be as good looking, but has a much better sound than the Bo(i)se.! Isn’t it about the sound?

It is portable and sounds great on the back deck.

Posted by pds6 on July 27, 2005 at 5:11 AM (PDT)

That thing is ###.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on July 27, 2005 at 6:27 AM (PDT)

Very humidifier-looking. Or space heater. Does it come with a HEPA filter?

Seriously, IF IT SOUNDS GOOD, what does looks really matter? Considering that almost all of the “really intergrated and cool-looking” powered speaker solutions have sonic drawbacks, where is their real advantage?

The ‘fugly’ posts here only goes to prove the iPod is more about fashion than anything else.

Posted by flatline response on July 27, 2005 at 10:45 AM (PDT)

I doubt it uses the dock connector, since it won’t charge an iPod (according to the story).

Posted by tc on July 27, 2005 at 8:10 PM (PDT)

I just bought one and it fried my IPOD, literally.  I purchased it online, it arrived yesterday evening.  I unpacked it and set it up this morning.  Plugged in my IPOD and poof, my IPOD stopped working.  My IPOD had been fully charged, and functional (I used it to show vacation photos to friends at dinner last night and this morning, it served as my alarm clock to wake me up.)  It was fully charged since it was docked all night.  My IPOD won’t reset and it won’t charge.  I don’t even know if the Playdock works.

Posted by jsr92 on July 30, 2005 at 9:46 AM (PDT)