Pod People and “the iPod swap” | iLounge News

Pod People and “the iPod swap”

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, February 11, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Time was, if you met someone cool and cute, someone you wanted to know better, you might make that person a mix tape. It was the perfect courtship calling card: a neat little package of songs carefully selected to say something about both you and your understanding of the recipient.

Today, such compilations are an anachronism. Most stereos don’t even have tape decks anymore. Countless couples will probably trade mix CDs this Valentine’s Day, but the point-and-click process of CD burning is rather sterile; it’s possible to make someone a mix CD without having to listen to a single song. As an inveterate trader of cassettes, I’ve been in steady mourning for the mix tapes of my youth for some time now. However, I recently acquired both an iPod and a boyfriend–who’d just gotten an iPod of his own. We were debating whose library had more songs when he had a brilliant idea, one that could replace the mix tape for the 21st century: the iPod swap.”

« Vote for iPod at Lovemarks.com - showcasing your favorite brands

iPod 40GB for $450.09, iPod 20GB for $359.99 »

Comments

Blah, blah, blah. They are “in the club” because I “spotted their withe earbuds” on the subway.

Sorry, white earbuds suck, and subways really, really suck.

Posted by Bored_by_it_all on February 11, 2004 at 8:56 AM (PDT)

lame…

in terms of music exchange, nothing beats the intimacy of a mix-tape.

IT JUST AIN’T THE SAME

Posted by eric on February 11, 2004 at 9:00 AM (PDT)

True.  I remember making tons of mix tapes to give to people.  It’s a long process of deciding what to put on it, and where to put it.  Making Cd’s can be the same, although you don’t have to listen to each song.

Posted by chrisnorton on February 11, 2004 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Borderline psychotic ex-boyfriend offers attractive stalker benefits

The package that I’m offering is more extensive than any other stalker ex-boyfriend package seen on ebay..  After the auction ends, I’ll create a blog (web-journal)  that recounts the details of our “relationship” and then our “breakup” and then the following denial of the breakup.  Not only am I an experienced blogger, I’ve also listened to more than a fair share of drippy emo-music which will give me an edge when writing such a blog.  The emotion that fills the blog will run the gauntlet from passionate anger to bitter mourning to puppy-dog love

In addition to the blog, I can provide the following:
1 mix cd full of aforementioned emo to convey my emotions.

Posted by stalker on February 11, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

Yeah and we should all go back to film cameras too.  Oh brother.  Custom made CDs are no less intimate than custom made tapes.  They’re just a hell of a lot easier to make, which is NOT a bad thing.  The quality is also much better and they last a lot longer.  All my old tapes are warped and long gone.

Posted by george dubya bush on February 11, 2004 at 9:56 AM (PDT)

This was a very well written article. And I too miss the days of trading mix tapes. After I gave it away I always knew what was on that tape because I spent so much time making it. With mix CDs I make them so quickly I can’t remember if I put a certain song on it or not. Having a side A and a side B was also import. It allowed a tape to come to a natural, progressive intermission and end. It allowed you to have a favorite side that you played more often than the other. I love my ipod and wouldn’t feel comfortable about trading it with someone, but I would like some better way to share the songs on it…

Posted by digitaltrapper on February 11, 2004 at 11:33 AM (PDT)

If you want somebody else’s songs just backup your library and upload his/her songs on your iPod via iTunes. The price of the iPod is just way too expensive and delicate to be “swapping”. A Compact Disc costs less than a nickel, which makes them disposable.

I’m not swapping my 40G model with anybody unless I get an insurance deposit made to my account along with the person’s social security number and driver’s license!

Posted by Stylescraper on February 11, 2004 at 12:42 PM (PDT)

Why do these optimistic articles try and make the iPod seem like something that almost everybody has? I know one person who has one, and have probably seen about 3 other people in my life, quite a selection to swap from….

Posted by Adam on February 11, 2004 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

You should come to NYC if you haven’t seen a ton of people with ipods… Even for the size of the city, a lot of people have them.  First of all, I know about a dozen people who have them, and I have seen probably a hundred of them on the subway on my way to/from work.  I’m not saying that they’re everywhere, but they’re pretty popular.

Posted by ipodboqi on February 11, 2004 at 2:21 PM (PDT)

(cheapest) 800 CDRs is roughly the price of a 40GB iPod - that’s worth it if you want to give your collection “away” to the ones you love

Posted by voodoo on February 11, 2004 at 3:46 PM (PDT)

Sorry Adam, but I never leave the house and I know about 20 people with iPods.  Where do you live, Siberia?

Posted by stark23x on February 11, 2004 at 5:10 PM (PDT)

I just need to relate what just happened to me.

I was standing on the train platform in Philly, listening to my iPod and reading Shakespeare sonnets on the same.  I looked next to me and there is a lady standing there with an iPod reading it intently as well.  We looked at each other, I held mine up a little and said “Reading Shakespeare.”  She held hers up and said “Reading the news.”  We both paused, looked at each other’s iPods, looked at ours, and without another word we just traded.  We both stood there for the next 10 minutes waiting for the train reading each other’s iPod.  Train came and we just handed them back without a word.

I thought it was kinda cool.

Posted by Felix Leech in PA on February 11, 2004 at 5:35 PM (PDT)

Sounds kind of freaky to me.  I wouldn’t want some stranger manhandling my baby.

Posted by people are dumb on February 11, 2004 at 5:46 PM (PDT)

Yes, very freaky!!!

Posted by Bill O'Reilly is a PIMP on February 11, 2004 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

I live in Sydney, hardly a backward city. Even at central station where the are hundreds of people, I might see one set of white earbuds along with a iPod in the hand every now and then.

As I have said before, and will say again, not everybody lives in the US.

Posted by Adam on February 11, 2004 at 7:11 PM (PDT)

I hope you got her number Felix! wink

Posted by digitaltrapper on February 11, 2004 at 7:38 PM (PDT)

She held hers up and said “Reading the news.”  I held mine up a little and said “Angling the reflective screen to look up your skirt”. We both paused, looked at each other’s iPods, looked at ours, and without another word she sprayed mace in my eyes.

Posted by Chris Matchett on February 12, 2004 at 12:46 AM (PDT)

and not every iPod owner uses the white buds wink  (I’ve never even opened the packed mine are in. ok, so i did use white ex70s for some time though, but now it’s d66 eggos with black cable).

I find these articles interesting. Yes it’s hypey, and yes it’s a little over the top (I could never get over the whole ‘jacking’ thing… ridiculous), but it does show a genuine culture around the iPod. This forum is an example of it in itself. Is there a “NomadLounge” with such a feverish community behind it and a gallery of people taking their Nomad’s around the world? How about a Muvo one? And there is that silent acknowledgement of other “podders” in public, even in a relatively small city like Adelaide. Sure it’s not to the intimate level of “jacking”, but there’s a little nod of that “aha! you think alike! you have good taste” (or something to that effect). And it’s one that extends beyond an existing clique of computer people, or audio junkies.

Posted by Nathan on February 12, 2004 at 1:08 AM (PDT)

The community for the Karma is certainly exploding. Even the firmware developers are speaking with the community about features ect. Much better than what I have with the iHP, and certainly better then the iPod. I wish I could be there only for that aspect.

Posted by Adam on February 12, 2004 at 1:24 AM (PDT)

Chris, same good old humour I remember from Neue.DR ;D

Posted by Nathan on February 12, 2004 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >