Podcast pioneer asks Jobs for iPod recording feature | iLounge News

Podcast pioneer asks Jobs for iPod recording feature

The Unofficial Apple Weblog reports that Adam Curry, a former MTV VJ and key player in the development of podcasting, recently spoke with Apple CEO Steve Jobs, offering his thoughts on future iPod features.

“The highlight of the day was, without a doubt, about an hour and a half that we had with Steve Jobs, which was really fun,” Curry said on the May 23rd edition of his popular podcast, “The Daily Source Code.” “Just a private conversation, and that was great. Of course I can’t tell you everything that we talked about, but I will say that I was able to provide a lot of input. The number one great piece of input that I was able to feed back was, hey, I want to record on my iPod. And I can guarantee you that’s going to happen some time in the near future.”

« iPodStyles offers new line of iPod charging gear

Mac: iPodderX 3.0 released »

Comments

“The number one great piece of input that I was able to feed back was, hey, I want to record on my iPod. And I can guarantee you that’s going to happen some time in the near future.â€?

Just as long as we get an optical input and output!

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 27, 2005 at 1:00 PM (PDT)

I want recording just so the iPod has SOME form of input—when someone tells you a phone number or a meeting time, or you get an idea—instead of NO form of input.

That little difference makes an iPod all the PDA I need… and no pencil to carry smile

And in fact, voice recording is the EASIEST possible form of input, on the spot. When you get home, you must deal with typing the data in, but that doesn’t bother me at all. I want instant input on the road, without messing with Graffiti.

Posted by Nagromme on May 27, 2005 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Add wireless networking and you get Instant Podcasting…

Posted by pelappoid on May 27, 2005 at 3:00 PM (PDT)

I know the Iriver HP320/340 doesn’t compare to the iPod, but as far as a hard drive based player is concerned, the Iriver does have input for Line-In or Mic-in (yes 5V Mic Preamp). As an amature field recorder, i’ve tried it. And it has recording capabilities rivaling MiniDisc and DAT for amature Live recordings. It records to WAV or Mp3 up to 320kb/s. I would like to see this flexability in the iPod.

If they do this, you will hear amature recorders around the world dropping their propriotary MiniDiscs and heavy field recorders for the iPod. I know i will.

Posted by ILoveMusic on May 27, 2005 at 11:46 PM (PDT)

I know the Iriver HP320/340 doesn’t compare to the iPod

But you can run a GameBoy emulator on the iRiver (under Rockbox!). You’ve got to admit, that’s pretty cool. The ipodlinux people have been talking back and forth about porting this for ages, I hope they do!

Posted by Demosthenes on May 28, 2005 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

Ugh… Cough… (is this thing on? OK!

WELCOME TO THE WORLD OF TOMORROW-LAND! Where your dreams of wonderfull new features for you iPod are at your fingertips TODAY!!!

You’d think these People never heard of the iTalk (or other such Devices),.

Mr. Curry go back to your Mtv Day job!

If Apple really wanted to go all World-Of-Tomorrow on us. They’d start off by dumping that lamearsed ‘Click Wheel’ and do another redesign of the 3G! And offer IEEE1394’b’ support! ‘b’ as in FireWire800 that is!!

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on May 28, 2005 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

->Demosthenes

Would you care to desribe how you’d be able to actully play a ‘Game Boy’ Game on a ‘x-Wheel’ xG iPod? And actualy make it playable at that?

That’s why you will not see ‘Game Boy’ Games on an iPod. (at least for now),.

But unless Apple totaly revamp the UI of ther iPod line I can not see this fact changeing anytime soon…

Posted by Ichijoe in Deutschland on May 28, 2005 at 1:04 PM (PDT)

You are missing the point. If you control the firmware,then you control the operating system that gets loaded when the iPod boots. Then you can control the UI. Then you can turn the scrollwheel into a 4-way clicker, or anything else you want (within reason). The Apple UI is okay for music (although a bit tiresome when you have to scroll through several thousands of entries!) but fails a bit for random, PDA-ish access. That is why being able to replace the Apple UI with one more suited for a particular task is key.

Think different!

Posted by Demosthenes on May 29, 2005 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

Ichijoe, you’re missing the point. The iTalk records at 16mb which is crap. With a line in and the ability to record wave/aiff the iPod becomes as useful as a miniature DAT recorder. Apple is losing a lot of people to the Iriver b/c of this feature alone. I know a lot of people that have bought irivers to record their dj sets.

Posted by mscot on June 1, 2005 at 11:48 AM (PDT)

Apple’s deliberate crippling of the ipod recording quality is making me question my loyalty to a company that makes very elegant products. I’ve tried using the griffin iTalk and it is totally useless. My hope was to use the iPod to help in producing my own music and next small hard drive/music player I buy will come without these insulting obstacles

Posted by Ebert Jones on August 3, 2005 at 9:12 PM (PDT)