PodFitKit for Apple earbuds announced | iLounge News

PodFitKit for Apple earbuds announced

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Tuesday, November 1, 2005
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageinSight Concepts has announced the PodFitKit, a new product that aims to turn the Apple-supplied iPod earbuds into custom fit earphones. “PodFitKit consists of a unique, moldable silicon material that, when fitted properly, becomes integrated with the iPod’s earbuds,” explains the company. The PodFitKit is priced at $9.95.

“You get a totally customized earpiece that is quite similar to molded hearing protection, hearing aid fitting material and prosthetic inserts that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars,” says inSight. “Your iPod earbuds suddenly fit! And not only do they fit, they’re actually comfortable, and they stay put! The special silicon formula in PodFitKit hardens to the precise shape of your ear, while maintaining the earbud’s optimum positioning. Yet, it still remains slightly pliable on the surface for comfort.”

« 5G iPod supply limited by component constraints?

Download Now: iLounge Holiday Buyers’ Guide 2005-2006 »

Comments

In other news, Silly Putty would probably do the same thing at $0.99USD an egg… It’s a pretty neat idea though. Good price point too.

Posted by Maurice on November 1, 2005 at 8:41 AM (PDT)

Gross.  I can hear it now…

“Eww! What’t that on your ear?  You need to get that checked!”

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on November 1, 2005 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

Well… great idea… IMHO they should make the cured-silicon white instead of blue… it will blend will with the earbud and look less like BluTac smile

Posted by floridante2k on November 1, 2005 at 10:39 AM (PDT)

I am a fan of the Jabra Earbud that Jabra just recently discontinued. Since I blew through several Earbuds, I also accumulated packets of the actual earbud ear pieces that fit into your ear. They come in both left and right, so I took an Exacto and cutout the main portion to allow the speaker portion of the iPod’s earphones to remain uncovered. It worked as there is enough stretch to hold the earbud piece around the Apple earphone piece. This allows for a secure fit and hold in my ears of the Apple iPod earphones.

The PodFitKit price point, as mentioned by Maurice, is very good for custom formed earpieces. I must warn people though as I have custom-made earplugs for riding my motorcycles and I stopped using them (they were very expensive to make) as they blocked-out too much noise from your surroundings, and I am sure that the PodFitKit will both do this and allow intense sound from your earpiece.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on November 1, 2005 at 12:15 PM (PDT)

Good idea, very reasonable price (is that a first for iPod accessories??)

But I’m with floridante2k on this, white would be much better.

Posted by Kloan in Toronto, ON on November 1, 2005 at 4:02 PM (PDT)

Our product is not Bluetack at all. Bluetack is a resuable adhesive. See http://www.blutack.com. Our silicon permanently forms to the shape of your ear for a customized it, and it is not an adhesive.

John

Posted by John on November 3, 2005 at 5:17 AM (PDT)

No one said it WAS Bluetack. They said it LOOKED like Bluetack, which is an obvious flaw. Your silicon should’ve matched the earbud.

Posted by Hassan on November 3, 2005 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

There’s a technical reason behind the color. Unfortunately, it isn’t as simple as just adding, or omitting, a drop of dye to one of the component chemicals. (The catalyst actually is white.) We’re working on it though.

John

Posted by John on November 10, 2005 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

I bought a pair and they arrived yesterday. There’s not a whole lot to it really—just two littel plastic containers with the silicons.

The instructions were easy to follow, but not included. You have to go to the web site. I’m not sure why they aren’t packaged.

I don’t use the ipod earphones. They’re ok, but I sprang for the e2c at $100. Some of the best money I’ve ever spent. The molds I made wer for these high-end ‘phones. I suspect it would be easier with regular ear phones. Here are my results:

Pros
Enough material to easily do 2, maybe 3 pairs of regular phones. I got 2 pairs for the e2c.

The mold really does fit well, and does isolate sound nicely. It rates somewhere between a low-end sony in-ear isolation and what I get with my Shure foams, but foams are pricy considering they aren’t reussable for too long, and are $10 for 5 pairs.

Reasonable price/value. I wouldn’t have taken the chance if it were more, since for $20 I would have simply gotten more foams instead. Much less expensive than typical custom mold methods, though I have never used them so I can’t compare on quality.

Cons: Can be a little unsightly. I don’t much care, since the e2c aren’t really low-profile to begin with. Color choice might help a little for standard ear phones.

For long-term use, these are not as comfortable as the foams I am used to. Much better than what I remember of the (highly uncomfortable) apple buds.

Wishes: It would be nice to make an impression of my ear and make the mold based on that. A more complex process, certainly, but the result would be better, at least with my e2c, and perhaps more sightly.

Overall, I am very satisfied with the result, and would recommend these to others. I just hope that if this company is successful, they don’t follow other accessoy makers into the price gouging arena.

Posted by Promethean on November 13, 2005 at 2:46 PM (PDT)

I am a professional musician, and I have custom molded earbuds (used with shure E3’s in an axiom personal monitoring system) they make a huge difference. It’s honestly worth the extra money for E2’s/E3’s and custom molded buds…. they sound amazing.

Posted by jonny on January 5, 2008 at 9:55 PM (PDT)

Sounds great. Would love to buy this. But the PodFitKit web site gives you no idea as to where to find them.

Posted by Brian on July 2, 2009 at 8:17 AM (PDT)