Podner iPod video app forced to change name | iLounge News

Podner iPod video app forced to change name

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 22, 2006
News Categories: Mac Software

Splasm Software says it must come up with a new name for Podner, its Mac-only iPod video conversion application, following emails from Apple requesting a name change. Splasm is giving away free Podner registrations to those who submit one of the top five new names for the software.

“Twice in the last week, the kind folks at Apple Computer have asked us to change Podner’s name to something without the word ‘pod’ in it. We don’t see more than a passing family resemblance, but we can’t say we blame them,” the developer says. “Podner is an awfully popular iPod video conversion tool and if we were Apple we might circle the wagons round little bits and pieces of our trademark, too. When companies like Apple Corps can sue Apple Computer over a trademark dispute we think it might be time to saddle up and move along to a new name. C’mon now, who’s got the money to stand up and defend a cute cowboy hat?”

« Mix: Featured podcasts, NBC viewers, PortalPlayer, Burt Bacharach

Griffin ships TuneFlex for iPod nano »

Comments

I want to slap apples legal departmant for being a bunch of ideots.

Posted by Peachey on February 22, 2006 at 9:18 AM (PDT)

Just the word “Pod” now?

This is a new low.  Apple has become worse than Microsoft.  You don’t see them suing their own user base over software named “Win___”

Posted by stark23x on February 22, 2006 at 9:43 AM (PDT)

Holy cow… Is anyone keeping an official list? Off the top of my head (ok, and a bit of Google):

Podner → ??
ThoughtOut’s iPed → Ped
iPodder Lemon → Juice / Juice Receiver
iPodlounge → iLounge
iPodderX → Transistr
iPod Essentials → mp3Essentials
iPodWorld → iWorld
Matias’ iPodArmor → iArmor
iPodSubwayMaps → iSubwayMaps
DLO TransPod → TransDock
PodGear → GEAR4

Apple… you’re totally justified in doing this, but why not be fair to everyone’s Google rankings and just do everyone at once? There’s quite a few more… websites, especially wink

Posted by noble on February 22, 2006 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

To all those who still think that apple is a benign wonderful company who really cares….. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Apple is a corporation, it exists to take your money for its stockholders.  All corporations are in the business of making money—plain and simple.  They will try anything to take your money—including making you feel like part of the “family”, a happy partner trying to make your life better; like the mafia.  I own many iPods and i love them, but I am under NO false assumptions that apple “cares” about anything other than my wallet.  [Disclosure:  I own apple stock] smile

Posted by ILaughAtYou on February 22, 2006 at 11:00 AM (PDT)

Why doesn’t Apple threaten the pea industry for using “pod”?  Why doesn’t Apple hunt whales because they travel in “pods”?  This is insane.

Posted by M. le Pod on February 22, 2006 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

Apple used to only go after i- products

Posted by LukeA on February 22, 2006 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

it’s about time apple go after that dimwit thief (retarded delusional) bill palmer at ipodgarbage, too.

Posted by cross on February 22, 2006 at 2:06 PM (PDT)

I can understand them going after anything that says “iPod” in the product title…I think they have a reasonable right to control the license to that name.

But going after related products with the term “Pod” in it seems to be pushing it.  But they know that these little guys won’t fight them…and they know they can piss off a few people who are producing acessories because they know there are 30 more who will jump in to fill the game

Posted by bluecow on February 22, 2006 at 2:56 PM (PDT)

WOW! Major censorship here at iLounge. It too is becoming more like Apple…sad, very sad.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on February 22, 2006 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

FahrenheiPod 451,
? “Major censorship” ?
What has been censored here?

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on February 23, 2006 at 2:42 AM (PDT)

What about the HP iRiver? Have they tried to take any action about that using the “i”? Also, did Creative sue over the use of Nano, which they came out with first, with Zen Nano?

Posted by Ollie on February 23, 2006 at 4:13 AM (PDT)

”...the HP iRiver”

I’m sure the folks at HP and at iRiver are wondering if you know something that they don’t. They’re separate companies; HP DOES use the ‘i’ in iPAQ (inherited from Compaq), if that’s what you meant to refer to.

Posted by flatline response on February 23, 2006 at 5:34 AM (PDT)

...Open the pod doors Hal…I need to upchuck on the shoes of some overzealous trademark lawyers…you’d think they owned the moon or Jupiter or something…

Or some ramblings akin to that (heavy sigh with regards to the greed of corporate America).

Next thing we’ll know, Apple will be filing cease and desist orders against Authur C. Clarke, the estate of Stanley Krubrick, MGM Studios and everyone else remotely related for using the ‘P’ word in their motion picture masterpiece 2001: A Space Odyssey, never mind that it was made years before AAPL even existed and a certain Apple CEO’s mommy was probably still wiping his nose for him at that time.

Posted by flatline response on February 23, 2006 at 5:47 AM (PDT)

Very strange; took me FOREVER to post that last one. Actually, I tried serveral times to post the two above together, only to have your system continually deny it. Even after I split them in two it still denied the latter post until I finally tried deleting the quotation marks around MY version of Dave Bowman’s plea with Hal.

It’s getting to be WAY too much work to ramble these days; the brain cell expenditure is TOO costly, particularly for me.

Posted by flatline response on February 23, 2006 at 5:58 AM (PDT)

flatline,
I just duplicated your ‘problem’ post - it was accepted straight away.

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on February 23, 2006 at 6:13 AM (PDT)

Ollie,

I think the issue of trademarking a word which was first brought into use by the Greeks has already been discussed when the iPod nano first came out. If they have called it the iNano it might have been a different case…..

Posted by Bob Levens in UK on February 23, 2006 at 6:23 AM (PDT)

POD POD POD iSue me you iTards. Ill take a bite out of this apple, oops thats a trade mark infringment.

GROW UP APPLE!!

Posted by Peachey on February 23, 2006 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

“HP DOES use the ‘i’ in iPAQ (inherited from Compaq)”

I have an iPAQ. Coolest thing ever. I actually used it as my mp3 player until I realized that I had worn the battery life down to about an hour of music play. Then I bought an iPod nano after I realized that I needed something smaller to ride my bike with. Now I’m happy.

Posted by Werewolf on February 23, 2006 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

Splasm has to have a case here since “podner” is a word that goes back in use to at least the ‘40s (where if you Google it, it was mentioned in a TIME magazine article). Aren’t there any copyright attorneys out there who want to make a name for themselves by taking this on?

Posted by Craig on February 23, 2006 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

Apple is becoming full of themselves these days. I would take them on and keep your name, and I bet you win as any jury will look at Apple and laugh at what has become Apple’s immense arrogance. Spend as little money as possible in legal fees, as this is utterly ridiculous on Apple’s part. I’ve been in enough courtrooms to tell you that the Judge will even say Apple is pushing it. Go to court and teach Apple a lesson on a shoestring budget as it has been done before to great success in these types of stupid cases. Tell the “kind folks” at Apple to kindly meet you in court. I’ve been purchasing Apple products since 1984, but what I’ve started to see over the last year has made me seriously consider if and when I purchase another Apple product. I only hope that those who have used the word “pod” waaaaaaaaaay before Apple ever used it, come out of the woodwork with lawsuits against Apple.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on February 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >