Podolock iPod mini security product announced | iLounge News

Podolock iPod mini security product announced

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Monday, February 20, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

imageThe Podolock is a new product for the iPod mini that helps secure the device to prevent theft or unauthorized use. The Podolock consists of a hard case and cable system, provides full access to the iPod, and can be used with other iPod cases. It will ship next month for $20. Cables range from $10 to $20.

“Simple, quick and secure, Podolock frames your iPod in a beautiful, acrylic case,” says the maker of the product. “Insert a cable at the top, lock to a table at your office or dorm, or attach to your car’s steering wheel and your iPod is protected from theft. Any place your iPod might be left alone for even a brief moment of time, protect it with Podolock.”

« PopXpress to open second London iPod shop

iPod Access for Mac, Windows updated »

Comments

Interesting. At first I thought it was a little silly, but put into context (“PODOLOCK is the perfect solution to prevent opportunity thefts at work, your car, dormitories—any place your iPod might be left alone for even a brief moment of time.”) it seems useful enough.

But that picture of it being used in a car is ridiculous. How are you supposed to steer with that huge lock system around the wheel with an iPod hanging off of it?

Posted by JackBauer on February 20, 2006 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

re: picture of car - theirwebsite/carpix.jpg

Posted by Jack Bauer on February 20, 2006 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

It’s made from acrylic!!!!!!!????????

I work with acrylic a lot and it is hardly the most secure substance in the known universe - give me 10 seconds and one pair of electrical snips or even good scissors and all it takes is snip snip from the outside edge through that obround slot holding the security bolt and hey presto you got no iPod.

Sorry but it looks more like something some marketing smurf dreamed up sooner than something designed by someone who knows about security and the correct materials to use to make something secure.

Posted by Nigel Oulton on February 20, 2006 at 11:05 AM (PDT)

I don’t know why they are targeting this product only at iPod mini owners, as i’m sure it would fit the fullsize ones as well.

Posted by tom on February 20, 2006 at 12:16 PM (PDT)

This is to dissuade the casual thief, not a devoted criminal.  ANYTHING will get stolen by a devoted thief, but many personal electronics go missing because the caual jerk sees them on a desk, a bench, the shelf on the treadmill, the front seat of your car…this can slow them down and most of the time that’s all you need.  Neat product.

Posted by stark23x on February 20, 2006 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

what if u stole someones ipod then locked it to somthing funny like there closet

Posted by nick on February 20, 2006 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

Seems sorta lame to me. Why not just bring your iPod with you or put it in a real safe if you’re not going to be using it. To have it locked in your car seems really stupid. If you really need to have it while your in the car, bring it with you when you get out. If for some reason you can’t bring it with you when you get out, then you really didn’t need to bring it with you at all.

Am I making any sense?

Posted by Werewolf on February 20, 2006 at 6:16 PM (PDT)

If I ever saw this attached to a greyscale Ipod, I would wet my pants…...

Posted by jamie 360 on February 21, 2006 at 7:12 AM (PDT)

Seems more practical in a retail/classroom/museum environment.

This is a great product, just misdirected.  Unfortunately, most products fail due to poor marketing.

Posted by Gordy. in Atlanta, GA on February 21, 2006 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

I have a new accessory called an iPocket, an amazing invention that will actually let you CARRY your iPod with you at all times- therefore obliterating any need for expensive ridiculous add-ons like the Podolock… best of all, you already have one (or six) on your jeans, coat, etc.  Look there- I saved you twenty bucks…

Posted by antwan on February 21, 2006 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

I just love the fact that this ridiculous accessory is only available for a discontinued model of iPod - perfect.

Me? I use the iPocket that antwan talks about. Works pretty well, and I don’t yank my headphones off when I leave my desk…

Posted by BradPDX in Portland, OR USA on February 22, 2006 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

I need help unlocking my ipod. I tried holding the menu and the center button for 8-10 seconds.

Posted by Adrianne on February 22, 2006 at 10:32 PM (PDT)

Retarded product. If I’m using my iPod, I’m with it. If not I can lock it in a drawer.

Posted by Zen on February 23, 2006 at 7:10 AM (PDT)

Adrianne,
  YOU MIGHT HAVE IT ON HOLD….
  IF NOT THEN IT’S DEFINETLY DEAD!!!
  THROW IT AWAY & GET A NEW ONE!!

Posted by STEVE JOBS on February 23, 2006 at 6:20 PM (PDT)