PodPal: Personal iPod Assistant Service Launched | iLounge News

PodPal: Personal iPod Assistant Service Launched

iLounger Rob has launched PodPal, a New York based service to help would be iPod owners buy, configure, accessorize, install and load music onto their new iPods. Think of Rob as your Personal iPod Assistant.

« Griffin ClearChoice iPod Connection Kit: $11.99

iLounge.com Appeared on TechTV’s Tech Live »

Comments

Why didn’t I think of this?
;)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 1:07 PM (CST)

isn’t giving someone an ipod loaded with someone else’s music considered stealing?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 1:31 PM (CST)

The ad says “load it with your music”.  Doesn’t sound like stealing to me.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 1:36 PM (CST)

nice scam.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 1:57 PM (CST)

Where’s the scam?  I think its a neat service.  Certainly your average joe isn’t going to want to do it, but someone who cares little about money might be more than happy to spend a few extra sheckles to get everything setup for them.

Of course this guy could easily be copying the client’s music to his computer for his own use too!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 2:22 PM (CST)

Wow! Have to agree with huh and mcdj on this one. What a deal that would be… an ipod already loaded with the type of music I like!!!!  That would be a real easy hookup!!!

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 2:26 PM (CST)

Here’s a good angle on how to get tons of free music with this: start up your own iPod “config” service, borrow the person’s CDs saying that you will rip them for the user and return them to him/her. Give the person the ripped files on CD. “Forget” to delete the copy that was on your hard drive. You don’t even need to take that person’s iPod from him/her.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 2:51 PM (CST)

I suppose this guy is going to charge people for this?!?! What a laugher.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 3:12 PM (CST)

The problem is that he needs to advertise somewhere mainstream… This service is certainly not intended for the iPod gurus who frequent iPodlounge.

Before calling it a scam or a stupid idea, consider the fact that we’re not really who it’s intended for.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 3:23 PM (CST)

Isn’t the point of the iPod to be user friendly?

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 3:23 PM (CST)

I thought part of the thrill lay in building out your iPod

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 4:05 PM (CST)

this is a joke. apple prides itself on being easy to use. “setting up the ipod” is not something people should pay for. i realize perhaps this is not meant for us ipodloungers, but anyone who would be getting an ipod who is not smart enough to figure out how to use it, should not be getting an ipod, period.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 4:16 PM (CST)

There are tons of people that NEED to have an Ipod or similar like item that may not know how to get into this…

I have done similar things for people for free and gladly so. People (like older folks) that shy away from computers but have tons of music need a solution like an ipod to help them be organized..

This whole people not being smart enough to use an ipod is an insensitive comment

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 4:20 PM (CST)

Yep.  My mom got herself a 15GB because she thought mine was so cool.

Who imported all her CDs onto her iBook?  Set up her iPod?  Worried about a good case?  Certainly not her.  It may be easy, but many people just want to USE a product, not spend hours upon hours setting it up.  Some just plain don’t have time.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 3, 2003 at 4:25 PM (CST)

I can’t imagine this would be a profitable endeavor—I understand people having money to burn, but really to load up an ipod from ripping CDs to syncing I’m guessing this has to be about 2 weeks worth of work to fill a 20GB.  I guess if he has multiple workstations ripping at the same time, this could be faster, but seriously—I’m thinking for this to make any sense at all the guy would need to charge $10 an hour, and this work could take him 80 hours (guesstimate) per 20GB ipod.  $800 to set up a $400 ipod?  The economics don’t work for me, but possibly there are people out there who will want it done this way…

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 4, 2003 at 7:23 AM (CST)

This is a great idea for New York City—Really, do you picture a Paris Hilton slaving over her PC for hours on end ripping CDs? I think not. Do you picture her paying some guy $35-40 an hour to do it for her? Hell yeah. This guy is my new hero. :)

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 4, 2003 at 8:08 AM (CST)

who gives a crap about paris Hilton…

I can’t stand that she has become a media darling… Blahj

rant over

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 4, 2003 at 3:20 PM (CST)

...media darling…

heh, I wouldn’t use those words exactly…  >;->

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 4, 2003 at 3:30 PM (CST)

Maybe this is a service for people without a computer. He could turn it into a subscription service - bring me your CD’s once a week and I’ll reload your iPod.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 4, 2003 at 3:42 PM (CST)

... or even better, have people tell you the music they want, buy it off from the iMS (at the Apple discounted price), load it on the iPod and then burn the CD’s for their backup.

Posted by Dennis Lloyd in Irvine, CA on December 4, 2003 at 3:47 PM (CST)