podSERVE CD encoding service launched in UK | iLounge News

podSERVE CD encoding service launched in UK

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Friday, March 5, 2004
News Categories: Digital Media

“We take your complete CD music collection and convert it to Apple iPod compatible MP3 format. Why? Because you have better things to do than feed CDs into a computer. Because you’d rather have someone else add all the track data. Because you’d like the added comfort and security of having a copy of your valuable music collection. Because you’d like to kick-start your digital music library. Because you’re a music lover not a geek.”

« Mac: iVolt 1.0 iPod battery meter hack

The iPod mini is a hot seller »

Comments

I wouldn’t trust those guys. Digital studio encoding haha. And 1 DVD for 100 cds?? If you want decent quality you can get 1000 songs on a DVD. And 100cds is about 1400-1800 songs

Posted by Vincent on March 5, 2004 at 8:16 AM (PDT)

Also, this would be a breach of the UK copyright rules.  There is currently no licence available from PPL (who would normally issue a dubbing licence) that would enable a company to do this.

Posted by Andygrif on March 5, 2004 at 8:25 AM (PDT)

any way to make sure these guys dont make a few copies for themselves?

Posted by meatmcguffin on March 5, 2004 at 8:37 AM (PDT)

Posted by Stylescraper on March 5, 2004 at 8:44 AM (PDT)

“I wonder which genius came up with idea to start a company that offers worthless services! These guys must think that the general public is either too LAZY or too STUPID to rip their own music! Good Luck with your company! I see Chapter 11 in your future!”

Well, the bottom line is there ARE people out there who’ll pay for this service. Remember, time is money and some people have loads of money and not much free time in their lives to sit down and rip their CD collection.

Personally I wouldn’t use the service, but there are people out there who will.

Posted by AndyH on March 5, 2004 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

I reckon it would take longer to get all the CD’s out of their boxes, wrap them up and take them down the post office than just to rip them yourself. Ripping CD’s in iTunes has the be the easiest thing imaginable, since you can set it up to do it automatically when you put the CD in.
Also you have to put them all back intheir boxes after, and copy the MP3’s over, which might take a while depending on your DVD drive.

Posted by billysardar on March 5, 2004 at 9:03 AM (PDT)

I’m with you, billysardar! It would probably cost me over $75 US Postage to send my entire collection to this company. In response to the time is money issue - what’s the turnaround time, or rather, how long will I have to live WITHOUT my music collection? It just seems like a worthless endeavor to me!

Posted by Stylescraper on March 5, 2004 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

No thanks… I guess i’m a nerd….

Posted by Alan Wegrzyn on March 5, 2004 at 10:34 AM (PDT)

Having a company enter the data for each track? What’s to stop them from putting useless clutter on your ID3 tags and completely screw up your genre/playlist organization?

Posted by Stylescraper on March 5, 2004 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

“Because you’d rather have all someone else enter all that track data for you.”
I guarantee that they’re licensing the same Gracenote CDDB data that iTunes uses to automatically assign ID3 tags. In other words, you’re paying them to put the same wildly unreliable crap in your tags that you’d get put there by free software.
“Because you’d like to kick-start your digital music library.”
The fact remains that you can still rip CDs vastly faster than you can listen to them…ridiculous.
And for one last point, I think it’s important to do the math on this one:
128 Kbps MP3: a horridly low bitrate in its own right
128*1000*60*45= 3.456*10^8 bits for one LP…mind you that many cds are significantly longer than that these days.
3.456*10^8*100/8 = 4.32 gigabytes, which is greater than the formatted capacity of a DVD-/+R… I assume they’re not doing a custom-press DVD9 for each customer.
This means that they’re encoding below 128 Kbps MP3…in other words, customers will be paying these clowns to encode their music at a bitrate so low that it doesn’t even appear as a default setting in iTunes (which is free: this is an important point).
Your time had better be worth quite a pretty penny (or equivalent legal tender) to make this actually worth it.

Posted by crushinator on March 5, 2004 at 11:22 AM (PDT)

I certainly won’t leave it up to some company to determine how my music is organized and what genre it belongs to. It renders the cusomizable organizational features in iTunes and the iPod useless.

Posted by Stylescraper on March 5, 2004 at 11:37 AM (PDT)

I appreciate the thought..I ‘hope’ thier heart is in the right place of truely wanting to help people but there are too many holes in this.

Organizing a large music collection can be a pain but we all have different ways of doing it and that is lost here.

Plus,I wouldn’t drop off my cd collection if the place was 2 blocks away much less in another country.

Posted by knotme on March 5, 2004 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Don’t be too surprised, there is already a similar service available here in the US, referecne: http://www.ripdigital.com/

I guess there are some people out there with more money than brains… heck, I’ll rip your music for you for a buck a disk. smile

Posted by jkcoon on March 5, 2004 at 12:46 PM (PDT)

the general public is stupid and lazy..

Posted by bojangles on March 5, 2004 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

My problem with this is that its “time is money” principle seems inherently contradictory: If you haven’t got the time to rip a large CD collection, how have you got the time to listen to and properly such a collection? If you’re that short of time I can’t envisage that you’d be that keen a music fan to want to have all your CDs ripped for your iPod straight away. I can only see this as being useful to rich idiots who aren’t really that interested in their music but just want to be able to go, “Ya, I really have got 10,000 songs on it” for the sake of it.
But maybe I’m just operating on stereotypes.

Posted by pomegranate on March 5, 2004 at 1:05 PM (PDT)

no, you have an amazing point pomegranite

Posted by billysardar on March 5, 2004 at 1:37 PM (PDT)

Everything you guys distroy. I think maybe you are a little jelious of evryone doing something and you just sitting on your fat ##### dreaming of maybe one day. Great idea, way to do boys. Keep up the good work. I would use them and recommend them to my friends.

Posted by Big Bear on March 5, 2004 at 2:49 PM (PDT)

I agree that the idea “Time is Money” is an evil one, but it is something to which we all subscribe, in different degrees. A large music collection would take a long time to rip. This service would probably appeal to those who have extensive libraries, have discovered digital music for the first time, and want to make a quick conversion.

This being said, I wouldn’t use this particular service—they are targeting the wrong segment with their ‘one DVD for 100 CDs.’ Audiophiles who would be attracted to a service like this would care about sound quality. A similar service in the States had a better idea: they placed all your music on a hard disk that they provided, and presented everything in a ready-to-go package. The service is legal because the files are deleted as soon as they are copied to your hard disk.

Posted by Questioner on March 5, 2004 at 3:20 PM (PDT)

Think about it: Sony makes a 400-disk changer. If you are used to listening to music in this way and then want to listen to it digitally—that’s a sh—load of discs!!

The only way one would even consider a service like this is if one have a SL of discs. That’s why it’s such a better idea to provide the hard drive—most people live within the upper regions of their HDs, and would need to find room as well. This service says they will give you CDs if you don’t have a DVD player. Ha!! What’s the point? You might as well rip them yourself.

Posted by Questioner on March 5, 2004 at 3:37 PM (PDT)

There are way too many people out there with pretend jobs.  I blame the 10 year economic upswing.  Bring on a recession, see if the people at podSERVE stay in business.

Posted by KidSampson on March 5, 2004 at 3:43 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >