PodsPlus intros aluminum case for 2G iPod nano | iLounge News

PodsPlus intros aluminum case for 2G iPod nano

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, November 17, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

image

PodsPlus has announced its new Aluminum N2 case for the second-generation iPod nano. Made of aircraft grade anodized aluminum, the N2 case features a clear plastic screen protector and a colored, play-through silicone click wheel cover. It also has neoprene lining, a removable neck strap, and access to all ports. The $30 case is available in black with black, red, blue, green or pink click wheel covers, or silver with black click wheel cover.

« Paramount sues to stop loading of DVDs onto iPods

Jonathan Ive awarded Honorary Doctorate »

Comments

Nice! I like the blue clickwheel cover against the black case.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 17, 2006 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

Do you think?  I’ve really been thinking about ordering one of these.  But that tab sticking out kinda scares me a little.  I’m afraid it will pull apart.  I slip mine in my pocket when jogging and I’m afraid that tab will catch and pop open.

Posted by Jim on November 17, 2006 at 11:29 AM (PDT)

I have one of these for my 5G and love it.  The wheel protection is very sensitive.  It does not fall out of the case.  It’s snug, but easy to pop the iPod out for use in my Bose Sounddock.

I’m very pleased with this case.

Posted by Laura on November 17, 2006 at 11:39 AM (PDT)

Good point, Jim. I had glanced right past that tab. My eyes were focused on those cool colors. smile

It sounds pretty good according to Laura. My last Nano (rest in peace) had an iSee clear protector on it that ultimately failed to protect it from being crushed. It continued working for a few weeks with a damaged screen (kudos to the iPod interface—I could use it without any visual feedback) before it finally died.

I used to use the iSee while I ran. I’d want to see this in person (or hear a review from someone I trust) on how this handles moisture. I’m not looking for waterproof (the iSee had an open bottom to the ports as well). But when I spring for a 2nd generation Nano (soon), I want it to be well protected.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on November 17, 2006 at 3:01 PM (PDT)

Not a very good deal though, considering you can (soon) get the new Core Cases aluminum case with a removeable belt clip for $20.

Posted by Railrider on November 17, 2006 at 6:27 PM (PDT)

I bought the EZ Armour for my 1G nano and used it for over a year.  No catches.  It didn’t have clickwheel protection, but I had never removed the original, clear-plastic cover that the nano shipped with, so it didn’t matter.  I bought an iSkin from PodsPlus a few months ago for the 2G nano, but since I break stuff, I was really waiting for a metal case.  I liked the clickwheel protection of the iSkin, though.  So I have been looking at this case for awhile, but also the concept for the Core Case, as Railrider mentioned.  So, I just preordered the Core Case for the 2G.  They say they’ll ship clickwheel protection, but I’m not sure if the case will have it built in, or not.  I’ll let you know what I think.

Posted by jim on November 19, 2006 at 9:09 AM (PDT)

I recieved my PodsPlus Aluminum N2 case today for my N2 Nano. I am very surprised at the quality of the case and the protection. The silicone cover over the click wheel works well but takes a slight more pressure. But no problem. It is to be expected. There is still sensation in the touch. The clip on the side snaps securely. The plastic cover for the screen is high quality.  My only complaint is that the neck strap is not very good . It is very thin where it attaches to the case. As far as the case I would highly recommend it.

Posted by birdkeeper on November 25, 2006 at 8:06 PM (PDT)