Poll: Did Apple screw up on iPod touch storage? | iLounge News

Poll: Did Apple screw up on iPod touch storage?

Before Apple introduced the new slate of iPods, we ran a poll asking which potential new iPod interested you the most. The responses were clear: 80% of iLounge readers most wanted a hard disk coupled with a large touchscreen display.

Now that Apple has revealed the iPod touch, coupling an iPhone-like screen and interface with iPod nano-like memory capacity, we want to know your thoughts. Did Apple drop the ball on this product, creating something you wouldn’t buy, or have you decided that you will be satisfied with its 8GB or 16GB or storage capacity? Cast your vote now in the iLounge Poll, found on the left-most column of the iLounge.com home page!

Our prior poll, which way would you most prefer to play your iTunes media, is now closed. The majority of readers (62%) said that they would prefer either an iPhone-styled Cover Flow interface (34%) or an iPhone-like scrolling list with finger gestures (28%), while 19% preferred the classic iPod Click Wheel and scrolling list interface, 12% liked a mouse-style interface with iTunes, and few people preferred computer-based Cover Flow (4%), Apple TV interface (2%), or any other control scheme (2%).

« Gecko Gear debuts Gecko Ice for 3G nano

ezGear rolls out cases for iPod classic, touch, 3G nano »

Comments

and I want at least 80 GB iPod touch.

Posted by Sushi on September 13, 2007 at 12:12 PM (CDT)

I wouldn’t say “dropped the ball.”  They probably had a targeted release date of about that time, and that simply wasn’t enough time to integrate a HDD.  I would imagine their full resources were on iphone, and the fastest way to get an ipod touch is to carry over as much parts and technology as you can.  I would not be surprised at all if a HDD version has been in development for some time and will be introduced in 2008.

Posted by Karajabola on September 13, 2007 at 12:18 PM (CDT)

honestly, 16 GBs is nothing when you count in a respectable sized music library, movies, and pics not to mention any games, software, or cache for web browsing.

give me an iPod touch with 80 GB hard drive and you can even take away the web browser. don’t get me wrong i think it’s great to have WiFi but i think more people were looking for storage rather then the web on their iPod

Posted by hydra-calm on September 13, 2007 at 12:19 PM (CDT)

Actually, I’d prefer a 16GB iPhone…don’t know why they just didn’t get rid of the 4GB, drop the price on the 8GB, and add a 16GB model.  I imagine the 16GB model will happen right after the holiday season…so I think I’ll wait.

With my library as it is/has been 32Gb is optimal, especially with movies and video podcasts, but 16GB would work as well.  Flash prices will have to continue there steady decline for this to happen, and it will eventually.

Posted by franticnomad on September 13, 2007 at 12:20 PM (CDT)

Every time a new model is released they start off with small storage and year by year the storage gets bigger on the same model. Its how to market a new product. Why is everyone SO shocked ????

Posted by Jerry on September 13, 2007 at 12:24 PM (CDT)

well i received today my 160gb classic, niiiiiiiice very niiiiiiiiiiice

Posted by gonzalo on September 13, 2007 at 12:24 PM (CDT)

@Jerry: Everyone is so shocked because the Touch has literally 10% of the capacity of the top Classic. For a device so geared toward video, this is just silly.

Posted by dchadwick on September 13, 2007 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

Hard Drive+ 3,5’ display+wifi= No battery life at all!!!

C’mon you can’t have it all!

Posted by Guillaume on September 13, 2007 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

Sure I would of wanted more storeage. 16gb would be enough to carry my essentail playlist, a movie, and some Simpsons epidsodes. I don’t need to carry an entire music collection.

Posted by GUTIERREZ on September 13, 2007 at 12:35 PM (CDT)

it is fine. Really. WiFi eats up the battery so when it is time to recharge you are ready for new music.

I think we all like our 80gbs or 160gbs, but on your coffee break, yes I am about to say it, it is just too much.

Posted by Johnny Dill on September 13, 2007 at 12:38 PM (CDT)

They did it right. What they really need is a connector between the new skinny iPods and the old hard drive kind. The best of both worlds.

Posted by Pepe on September 13, 2007 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

16GB these days is nothing.  I’ll wait for at least 80GB.

Posted by William on September 13, 2007 at 12:42 PM (CDT)

People Apple does it´s best for their Stockholders, my guess is that they have all the versions we wish but they will be delivering them slowly avoiding the product line to canibalize itself and since no ipod killer has arrived yet they have all the time in the world to throw us whatever they want not what we hope for, look at me I going nuts trying to decide which ipod to buy, gonna buy some for sure this season, it´s disturbing

Posted by Osmac on September 13, 2007 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

There are only two possible reasons I can see for not making the touch with a high capacity hard drive.
1. Battery life
2. Some sort of interference with the wifi or touchscreen.
Really, what other reason could there be? It does’nt have to be that thin. Hell, I would’nt even mind it being as thick as my old 2G, 20gig (as long as it had all the features).
Seriously. Does anyone else find it funny that they’re trying to sell you more content (at higher file sizes), while shrinking the capacity on the flagship player?

Posted by MirandaKali in D.C. on September 13, 2007 at 12:57 PM (CDT)

16gb is ridiculous for a video/audio. I’m currently at almost 30g of audio and will pass on the new itouch. At the rate my collection of video and audio grows I’ll never get an itouch. I understand flash prices are steep, and that’s a pity because I love that whole iphone/touch interface. I’m in no way switching to AT&T, the iTouch is too small so I guess I’ll be a classic man for quite some time.

Posted by BW6168 on September 13, 2007 at 12:58 PM (CDT)

Yeah, it boggles my mind why Apple didn’t make it HD based player.  I was fully prepared to spend $500 or possibly even $600 for a Touch with, at least 100 gigs.  16 gigs is outright laughable.

Posted by Mike on September 13, 2007 at 12:59 PM (CDT)

The flash memory they use in these things is EXPENSIVE!  As prices drop, you will see new iPod touches with new capacities.

I am sure that Apple wants to leave the Touch with flash memory from here on out. iPod classic is just a hold over for people that want bigger hard drives until the price of flash memory goes down.

Posted by phunkysai on September 13, 2007 at 1:00 PM (CDT)

As badly as I would love an iPod Touch, I’ve decided to wait until capacity increases. I just bought an video iPod 5.5 (80GB) last year. I don’t expect that kind of capacity in the Touch anytime soon, but it has to be at least 30 GB before I’ll bite.

Posted by bookcase on September 13, 2007 at 1:27 PM (CDT)

I sooooooooo want to get an iPod Touch…but there is no way I am going to buy one now.  I cannot believe they only intro’d a 16Gb version.  Like Mike above, I was fully prepared to spend a bundle on the new Touch, assuming I could get at LEAST 100Gb…was hoping for more like 160 - 200 Gb.  There is no way I am going to spend that kind of money without the (relatively cheap) storage.  So yes, I think Apple was stupid for creating only the 8 and 16 Gb versions.  I bet they did not talk to their hardcore iPod consumers before they did.

Posted by Rich on September 13, 2007 at 1:31 PM (CDT)

Yes.  They screwed up.  It should have a minimum of 30 GB for the iPod touch device.  Anything less is useless and only a cool toy.  Although I would like an iPod touch, I’m likely to not get any new iPod in this round.

Posted by Craig on September 13, 2007 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

Page 1 of 3 pages  1 2 3 >