Poll results: How much would you pay (max) for a video-equipped iPod this year? | iLounge News

Poll results: How much would you pay (max) for a video-equipped iPod this year?

The most recent Lounge Poll, “What’s the highest price you would pay for a video-equipped iPod this year?”, is now closed.

With nearly 5,000 votes cast, the single most popular response was $399, with 36% of respondants choosing this price. Roughly a quarter of those surveyed were willing to pay $499 or more, while 37% said they would pay $299 or less ($199). The numbers were surprising in that they suggested that a majority of respondants were willing to pay some premium for video functionality on an iPod.

Complete results are available in Read More below, and at the Lounge Poll archives. Our new poll, “Will you buy an iTunes-compatible phone?”, is now open. You can find it on the left column below Ask iLounge.

image

« Forums: iTunes Phone forum, Podcast guide, In Car iPod

New Podcast: iLounge Week in Review 8, enhanced »

Comments

I had to abstain from this vote because my option “I will not buy a video-equipped iPod this year” was not available. So here’s my vote: I will not buy a video-equipped iPod this year.

Posted by jm on September 2, 2005 at 6:22 PM (PDT)

I voted $399 in the video iPod poll. But the new iTunes phone poll is already showing me results, as if I’ve already voted. I have not. Cookie error?

Posted by kernelg on September 2, 2005 at 6:40 PM (PDT)

If other people want to voice that opinion, we’d like to see it in this thread. Its omission was an oversight, though of course you could have voted for an unrealistic number like $199. grin

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz in East Amherst, NY, USA on September 2, 2005 at 7:32 PM (PDT)

I thought the most obvious option for the new poll would be “only if it has enough storage!” I wouldn’t be buying an itunes phone that has 512meg of memory, but 4gig? you betcha!

Posted by jono nolan on September 2, 2005 at 9:07 PM (PDT)

I wouldn’t buy one.  The only reason my current iPod has a color screen is because my black and white one failed and they had no more to replace it with.  I just want to get rid of the headphone wire…that is the most annoying part of using the iPod! Give me a bluetooth iPod and I’ll be truly happy with it.

Posted by Jason on September 3, 2005 at 3:47 AM (PDT)

Count me in as another person who is not interested in buying a video iPod.  What am I going to watch on it?

I suppose if I could download shows from my TiVo quickly and easily, it would be compelling. But lack of standards and cross-company bureaucracy, not to mention the greedy and fascist nature of the entertainment companies, will guarantee that won’t happen soon.

Posted by Michael Portuesi on September 3, 2005 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

I sold my mini last summer hoping to see a video ipod… but have now realized they would be useless.
I second bluetooth headphones. They would be so nice. I also bet they would cut the ipod muggings down drastically.

Posted by Joe on September 3, 2005 at 9:53 AM (PDT)

Not interested in a video iPod. I’m happy with a monochrome screen. Just give me a radio & more GBs.

Posted by XX on September 3, 2005 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

Video iPods would be overpriced, and a short lived gimmick.  They should add an FM Radio and bring the price down.  Although I like the iPod, it is vastly overpriced for what it is.

Looking ahead to next week, I am more interested in the possibility of a flash-based iPod mini, with no moving parts, vastly increased battery life, being smaller and lighter than the existing HDD version.  Ohh, and a nice colour screen.

Posted by Dave on September 4, 2005 at 1:20 AM (PDT)

... Plus, can you imagine Joe Public yuppie twits walking around with their iPod Video hanging out.  Muggings and attacks will go through the roof…

Posted by Dave on September 4, 2005 at 2:22 AM (PDT)

Not interested in a video iPod at all.

Posted by Peter on September 4, 2005 at 5:20 AM (PDT)

Years ago, I purchased a Casio small portable color LCD TV with a screen comparable to what would be on one of Apple’s iPod’s today, and can say that I lost interest in it after time as it is simply too hard to watch; great for companionship in the a room where you are working alone (synonymous to late night studies that one had in college where you only needed to hear voices), but little else. A video iPod might prove to be Apple’s dud in the iPod line.

I’ll join the growing crowd for the bluetooth earphones as the next big and desired iPod feature.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on September 4, 2005 at 5:41 AM (PDT)

I truly fail to understand the animosity towards the video iPod. An iPod is nothing more than a glorified mpeg decoder, period. Whether or not you take advantage of it or not doesn’t change that all they’re doing is coding some new firmware to support a format that’s already basically inherent to the hardware in the first place and adding a screen that can support the refresh rate of a Gameboy.

Even if you never did so much as show a low-res video of your kid made with your digicam to a co-worker, everyone will benefit from the nicer looking screen and greatly extended battery life and storage by making such a function even semi-practical.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 4, 2005 at 7:44 AM (PDT)

Codemonkey:  “I truly fail to understand the animosity towards the video iPod. “

Why would I pay extra for a feature I neither need nor want?

You need an infrastructure for providing content before video is worth the extra cost.  And the content has to be more than movie trailers and music videos.  I’d rather have just the music rather than a music video.  I can fit more songs on my iPod that way.

The record industry is making it difficult for Apple to even offer music videos as downloads.  Where will movies and TV shows come from?

Posted by Michael Portuesi on September 4, 2005 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

I though I would also say that I would take bluetooth headphones over a VideoPOD anyday.

Posted by Bryce on September 4, 2005 at 10:30 AM (PDT)

“Video doesn’t come without a cost: namely, Apple is going to charge $$$ extra for video features.  This will be true regardless of how much it actually costs Apple to make the hardware/software support video.”

One year ago Apple was charging a premium for color screens and photo support, today those have been rolled into the standard iPod line for the same or less cost than people used to pay for the monochromatic iPods of the same relative storage.

Yes, there will be a premium later this week (if it comes out), and in a year or so there won’t, whoopee. And whether you use it or not, down the road you’ll benefit from what it took to get it there in the first place. If all the people complaining about the nigh inevitable introduction of video capabilities had their way we’d still have monochromatic iPods since this same sort of complaining was going on last year in the lead up to the iPod Photo release…

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on September 4, 2005 at 12:41 PM (PDT)

I fully endorse code monkeys views, don’t want it, don’t have it, its simple enough. You won’t be made to pay anymore for a feature you don’t want this year, as they will still have the colours. And you won’t be charged anymore next year, as it will be standard.

If you actually feel physically sick at the thought of video on the menu, then you can take it off, like you can edit the menu’s now…Thats how some of you seem to be reacting now.

Apple sticks to its price points, budget, medium and full on.  At the moment, we’re missing a full on, this will most likely be a 80gb video iPod. My guess is 20 and 40gb colours, 60 and 80gb video’s…

3 days till the revolution, embrace it, don’t disregard it.

Posted by silver_haze20 on September 4, 2005 at 1:11 PM (PDT)

Three letters. P S P. The “opportunity” has gone. iPod is yesterday already.

Posted by Dirty Idea on September 4, 2005 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

I don’t see the video iPod as a revolution. Not interested. I have yet to see anyone watching videos on any player like this.

Size of screen is barely big enough to view still pics on. If screen grows, so will player. How big will this thing be? My 60Gig is too big/heavy already.

Re: Bluetooth headsets, does the current BT standard have enough bandwidth for high quality music? Maybe enough for podcasts, etc…or maybe a connection for each ear (L/R)?

Posted by klwdallas in Dallas, TX on September 4, 2005 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

For the life of me, I can’t understand why people think personal video is going to be all the rage. Yes, people are buying UMD movies for Sony’s PSP unit… stupid people with nothing better to do with their money. Since they will ultimately buy the same movie twice, for roughly the same price—for two different media formats. Purchasing content for a video iPod would be just as nonsensical. I watch DVDs on my 12inch iBook and I have no desire to watch content on anything smaller than that. A video iPod would be nothing more than a novelty for yuppies.

Posted by Haasim on September 4, 2005 at 4:06 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >