Poll results: How small is your smallest iPod?
With over 5,000 votes cast, last week’s Lounge Poll has now closed. The question was: “How small is your smallest iPod?”, and the results were very interesting - especially when compared against the previous poll, “How large is your biggest iPod?”
In our prior poll, we saw that nearly 75% of responding readers had an iPod of 20GB or higher, with very few (3%) relying on the iPod shuffle as their biggest iPod. Today’s poll suggests that the iPod shuffle has done substantially better as a backup, second iPod, with 16% of respondants indicating ownership of 512MB or 1GB models, and that the 4GB iPod is also popular for this reason. For more details, click on Read More, below.
Our new Lounge Poll, “How much space is left on your primary iPod?” has now opened. You can find it in the left column under Ask iLounge.
The most interesting finding in today’s poll was a 20% difference between readers with 20GB and larger iPods as their biggest iPods, and those with 20GB and larger iPods as their smallest iPods. Given the large sample size, we could infer from the results that this 20% difference is attributable to people who own more than one iPod, such that approximately 1/5 of all respondants use an iPod mini or shuffle in addition to their full-sized iPod.
Here’s a snapshot of the closed poll. For more poll results, visit the Closed Polls page here.
How did the numbers change from the “Largest” poll to the “Smallest?” Here’s a breakdown.
iPod Model - Largest/Smallest (Change in %)
60GB - 12%/9% (-3%)
40GB - 21%/12% (-9%)
30GB - 12%/9% (-3%)
20GB - 29%/24% (-5%)
15GB - 5%/4% (-1%)
10GB- 3%/3% (0)
6GB - 4%/4% (0)
5GB - 1%/2% (+1%)
4GB - 10%/16% (+6%)
1GB - 1%/8% (+7%)
512MB - 2%/8% (+6%)
Thanks for your votes!
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, July giveaway reminder
- Happy Independence Day from iLounge!
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Apple TV software updates to 7.0 with Beats Music channel and redesigned look
- New Cook interview provides insight on Apple Watch development
- Apple releases iOS 8
- Report: Apple to unveil new iPads on October 21
- Foxconn struggling to meet demand for iPhone 6
- Apple to require app-specific passwords for third-party apps in iCloud
- Apple posts guide for moving content from Android to iPhone
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Grace Digital Ecostone Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels