Poll results: Which feature should Apple add to iPods? | iLounge News

Poll results: Which feature should Apple add to iPods?

The most recent Lounge Poll, “Which feature do you most want Apple to add to iPods?”, is now closed.

With over 5,700 votes cast. the two most popular requested features were a replaceable battery (26%) and FM radio tuning (24%), with video playback rounding out the top three at 21%. Bluetooth wireless support was nearby at 17%, while features such as more games (5%), sports features (pedometer etc, 2%), and “something else” (6%) trailed considerably.

Complete results are available in Read More below, and at the Lounge Poll archives. Our new poll, “What do you think of the iPod with video?”, is now open. You can find it on the left column below Ask iLounge - please cast your vote!

image

« The Pros and Cons of iPod Video: iLounge Podcast 15

Mix: AAPL, Bonus feature, Video podcasts, ‘Lost’ experience »

Comments

How about Firewire?

Posted by Alex on October 13, 2005 at 4:48 PM (PDT)

I’m sick of the whiners asking for a freaking fm tuner. You’re not going to get it so shut up! It’s pointless! It would waste battery, and just be dumb! You have 30 gigs of music already! Shut up!

Posted by Geordan on October 13, 2005 at 4:56 PM (PDT)

how about dynamic smartplaylists?

Posted by blayn on October 13, 2005 at 5:00 PM (PDT)

How about satelite radio ?

Posted by tc on October 13, 2005 at 5:29 PM (PDT)

Geordan: If people want to ask for an FMTuner then let them.

TC: If Satellite radio becomes available thru the iTunes Music Store for the iPod, then I’d want it to be with Sirius; if it has to be with XM, then it should also be with Sirius. Howard Stern rules.

Posted by Jack on October 13, 2005 at 7:42 PM (PDT)

Gapless playback…?

Posted by Marshall Banana on October 13, 2005 at 10:08 PM (PDT)

Yes Gapless Playback seems like a very straightforward feature that the iPod is lacking. So many times I’ve had the iPod wreck albums where the tracks blend.

If they don’t sort it out by the time I need to replace my 4G, then it will be bye bye Apple, from me.

I don’t know why Apple have been able to drop the ball on this one, and continue to overlook it, when other MP3 players dont suffer from the problem.

Posted by JStewart on October 14, 2005 at 1:44 AM (PDT)

1. Reaplacing battery
2. Gapless playback (for Live/Mixed music)
3. Fading in/out on pause, stop and skip next/previous track.

At least point 2 and 3 not seem so difficul to implementet!!!

Posted by Akira on October 14, 2005 at 3:59 AM (PDT)

I could be wrong on this, but to the best of my knowledge only two HDD players have gapless playback:

1. Rio Karma - tough to find a new one of these and the company is dead.

2. SONY NW-HD5 - In addition to an iPod, I have this awesome player (SQ is very good). However, for gapless playback, files must be in ATRAC format which I will not use.

I don’t know if there are others, but JStewart’s closing comment is not accurate as the major contenders (iRiver h10, Creative Touch/Sleek, Cowon X5), do not have gapless playback.

Posted by Mark on October 14, 2005 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

say it with me everyone…gapless playback!

Posted by ryecob on October 14, 2005 at 8:48 PM (PDT)

Gapless playback is a MUST HAVE feature.

For all those saying replaceable battery, it would be nice, but I’m not sure how they’d accomplish that without a complete redesign of the iPod. Not to mention it looking a lot ulgier with battery latches etc.

I’ve had my 3G iPod for 2 years and its battery is still going strong.

Posted by DarkJC on October 16, 2005 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Remember it was said here first!
The next big iPod feature will be ...........
picture/video taking!  Hello!  The screen size is not really great for watching 2 hour movies, but for taking a quick snapshot/vid of the kids playing with the dog?  The newest iPod is so thin that adding a camera would simply bring it back to its older dimensions.  Now you take pics or vids on your iPod, go home and put them into iMovie .......

Posted by E Colon on October 19, 2005 at 12:19 PM (PDT)