“Pop” between tracks exists on all iPods? | iLounge News

“Pop” between tracks exists on all iPods?

iPoding has performed listening tests on classic iPods to see if “pops” or “clicks” existed between tracks.

“We tested ScrollWheel and TouchWheel iPods running firmware 1.3 and 1.2.1 respectively and found the same phenomenon on each.  Readers have also suggested that all MP3 players exhibit similar behavior, though we are unable to confirm—we have only iPods… go figure—if that is indeed the case.”

« PodShop PodHolder On Sale

“iPod Envy: Dealing With The idea That You Can’t Have It All” »

Comments

My new iPod 15 Gb has the clicks. My second generation 10 Gb does not click. So I’m not sure the iPoding folks have been too thorough in their testing.

Posted by Paul on May 8, 2003 at 11:27 AM (PDT)

I agree. I never heard the clicking between tracks on my 20gb, which is why it was immediately noticeable on my 30gb.

Posted by Aaron in Phoenix, AZ on May 8, 2003 at 12:49 PM (PDT)

I also agree. No clicks with a second generation touchwheel 10 GB iPod with firmware 1.2.6.

Posted by Eddie in home on May 8, 2003 at 2:05 PM (PDT)

Why would a reliable news source such as iPoding put out such an obiviously untrue story? It has been more than established that this problem only exist on the new iPods. I have a 20GB and a 15GB and there is no click on the 20GB.

Posted by Jason in Los Angeles on May 8, 2003 at 2:12 PM (PDT)

My new 30gb ipod definitely clicks between tracks; it actually seems to occur at the start of a track (it happens when a playlist begins, but not when it ends).  It happens with either aac or mp3, it happens regardless of power status, with any speakers/headphones/earbuds, and it also happens when you press any button while music is playing (listen carefully, on a quiet track).  But it doesn’t happen on iTunes on my iMac.  So… it’s clearly a problem with the ipod (software? I hope?).  I really like this thing, but the clicks are starting to get to me…

Posted by New ipod user in North Carolina on May 8, 2003 at 4:50 PM (PDT)

Well, despite what ipoding.com reports, my experience is different.

On my original model (scrollwheel) 10 GB Mac iPod, there are no clicks audible between tracks when listening with either Etymotic ER-4Ps or Grado SR-60s.

On my new 30 GB iPod, there are clicks audible between tracks using either the ER-4Ps or the SR-60s.

I used the exact same MP3 and AAC files to test both iPods.

The clicks on my new iPod are not a big deal to me.  They’re a minor annoyance, but not a problem that ruins my iPod for me or makes it any less enjoyable to use.

But, having said that, I’d still like to see this fixed with a firmware update! wink

Tom

Posted by tntracy in Atlanta, GA on May 8, 2003 at 5:31 PM (PDT)

This may not be directly relevant, but my Jornada PDA has exactly the same problem on its MP3 player: clicks between tracks.

It’s a very unpleasant noise and is the reason I decided to get an i-Pod for music in the first place (oh, apart from storage issues!).

It’s a real shame if the new i-Pod has a similar problem, I certainly won’t be upgrading soon.

Posted by Ben in UK on May 9, 2003 at 7:35 AM (PDT)

My 6mo old 20g iPOD with updated firmware clicks between tracks.

Posted by Toren in CA on May 9, 2003 at 9:12 AM (PDT)

I haven’t heard any “clicks” between tracks on my new 10 GB iPod.

Posted by Jay P in Madison, WI on May 10, 2003 at 12:09 AM (PDT)

My “old” 10GB iPod has no noticeable clicks BETWEEN tracks, at least not on a regular basis (the “charges” seem vaguely familiar, but maybe I’m just getting “superstitious” or paranoid about things now)—but I do clearly recall there being very loud “clicks” or even outright “pops” sometimes when the iPod has just been reset.

What I want to know is why the iPod “freezes” up every now and then!  I’ve had that happen again recently, and I’m getting “spooked out” here!  Also, I had the iPod clock not working on me once, not getting set no matter how hard I pressed the buttons (which worked fine otherwise)....

The iPod is a rather tempermental thing!  Oviously, it’s a gay thing…!  =D

Posted by David C. in Astoria on May 10, 2003 at 8:14 PM (PDT)

I recently bought a 2nd-hand 5GB scrollwheel iPod and noticed last night that it absolutely *does* “pop” between tracks. I was listening to classical music very softly and had not noticed this previously. It is definitely not intrusive. After careful review, I find that the “popping” sound varies each time, sounds a lot like a burst of static or electomagnetic “popping”, and is present between ripped CDs, mp3s, and AAC files.
  I also have an older iRock mp3 player that does not “pop” between tracks, so I know what I’m hearing. Not a big deal, in any case.

Posted by Michael Z. in Chicago on May 11, 2003 at 10:14 AM (PDT)

I have a 30gb iPOD and it also has clicks between tracks - this was the reason i visited this forum to see if anyone else had the same problem - Seems like it is a common thing in te new 30gb machines -THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED SOON. Apple -  get that firmware upgrade out right away….

Posted by Spergabite in UK on May 12, 2003 at 3:22 AM (PDT)

My old Rio500 makes a small “squeek” noise between tracks.

I’ve never had any probs with my 10gb iPod in that regard…

Posted by Mike on May 12, 2003 at 7:34 AM (PDT)

I too hear the pop and a slight pause between songs and it is very annoying. When you play “concept” albums where songs are sequenced to overlap each other this is unacceptable. (Pink Floyd Dark Side, The Who Quadrophenia, etc) There is a noticeable and disconcerting pop and pause as the songs flow one into another. New 30G iPod, soon to be returned.

Posted by Andy on May 12, 2003 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

Hey Mp3 is not a gapless format Mike ! Ok the click’s are bad, but you will never get a live album to play gapless!

CYa Ede

Posted by Ede on May 14, 2003 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

My new 30gb iPod has a definate pop between songs.  Quite annoying.  My RioVolt does not make a pop.

Posted by Rick in Arlington, VA on May 17, 2003 at 7:28 AM (PDT)

Got the new 30GB and sure enough the click/pop/tick is there.
Here’s a solution, feel free to shoot me down.
In iTunes when encoding, join all the tracks. That should satisfy all you Floyd fans out there. I had to perform this with Outkast’s Stankonia with loads of tracks.
Think I’ll have a shot with the The Wall right now.

Posted by Rob Todd in United Kingdom on May 19, 2003 at 12:40 PM (PDT)

Man, you people must all be audiophiles. Constantly complaining about a little click between tracks. Does it disrupt the song at all…no. Deal with it…its only a little click, its not the end of the world…

Posted by Trojan on June 19, 2003 at 3:47 PM (PDT)

The clicking is noticeable on my new 30GB iPod. Makes it difficult to crossfade! My wife’s Archos also clicked between tracks with factory firmware but then she got the Rockbox update and that fixed it as well as reducing an annoying background hum. Maybe Apple will release a firmware update soon that fixes it? We need this open software for the iPod so we are not waiting for Apple to get around to it. My Windows MP3 players come with “gapless” and “crossfade” options, that’s what we need.

Posted by ClicksNTricks on August 8, 2003 at 2:51 PM (PDT)

I have the new 30GB iPod, since you guys say that there is a click sound in between tracks, I tried to listen to it very carefully but it seems that I don’t hear any clicked sound in mine, Cheers

Posted by Lius on September 16, 2003 at 9:44 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 2 pages  1 2 >