Popular Science includes iTunes Music Store in “Best of What’s New”
Popular Science has included the iTunes Music Store in the Computing section of their annual “Best of What’s New” issue (December 2003), along with the Power Mac G5. Popular Science does not provide “rankings” within the category, although the Grand Prize winner in the Computing category was 802.11g, which Apple was first to commercially adopt.
iTunes Music Store Transcript:
“Apple iTunes Music Store:
Seriously, is there anything Steve Jobs can’t fix?
After years of refusing to pay for digital music, consumers have made Apple’s iTunes Music Store the music industry’s first digital success story, purchasing a whopping 10 million songs in just over four months. This figure is even more impressive when you consider that the service is available only to Mac users, and that the only portables that can play the tunes are iPods. What is Apple doing right? The answer is part of business (all songs in the 200,000-plus library are sold for 99 cents and come from an impressive roster of labels) and part technology (the store is fully integrated into Apple’s iTunes software, making it simple to listen to 30-second samples, then download purchased songs into your music library). What’s more, while the digital-rights management system does restrict widespread copying, users can still share songs between several Macs and iPods and burn music to audio CDs.”
Article author’s corrections—Since printing of this issue, the “iTMS” has become available on Mac and PC, and the library has grown to over 400,000 songs.
- Apple Music service to include social pages for artists
- Apple streaming music service to provide limited free listening options
- OpenTV sues Apple for alleged patent infringement
- Report: Apple still missing key music streaming deals in time for WWDC debut
- Apple vying for artist exclusives for streaming music service; family plan?
- Apple releases iTunes 12.1.2 with OS X Photos app support
- Apple issues workaround for Messages text string bug
- Apple acquires Metaio, an augmented reality company
- Apple stuck with court-appointed antitrust monitor
- Apple to unveil rewards system for Apple Pay
- GM bringing CarPlay to 14 of its 2016 Chevy models
- Upcoming kit will allow developers to build native Apple Watch apps
- Apple may debut new ‘Proactive’ assistant with iOS 9
- Google Search will soon surface content from iOS apps
- iOS bug allows peculiar string of characters in Messages to reboot iPhones
- iOS 9 Transit feature to launch in select cities
- Spigen Apple Watch Stand S330
- Griffin WatchStand for Apple Watch
- Apple iPhone Lightning Dock
- Witti Notti and Dotti
- PhoneSuit Elite 6 and Elite 6 Pro Battery Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- Wren V5US Speaker
- Skech Base for iPad Air 2
- Anova Culinary Precision Cooker
- Phiaton MS 100 BA Earphones
- Olloclip Ollocase for iPhone 6
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?
- Why doesn’t my iPhone reconnect to Wi-Fi after I turn it on?
- Why can’t I see the iPad-style landscape view on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Is there a point to having both iCloud Photo Library and iCloud Photo Stream enabled?
- Why can’t I set a longer passcode timeout on my iPhone 6 Plus?
- Can I turn off Message Read Receipts for only some users?
- How do I share one iCloud Photo Library within a family?