Portable Media Expo and Podcast Conference Concludes
Before the Portable Media Expo and Podcast Conference concluded last night, we spoke with visiting representatives of several companies about their upcoming products. Here’s what’s new and hot.
Core Cases: The iPod and games division of InnoPocket updated us on its Aluminum Case for iPod nano (sub-$20), previewed in our Holiday Buyers’ Guide. Last-minute tweaks before release have added further protection and features, including the ability to mount vertically or horizontally on a belt. The company is also planning to produce user-submitted (and other) protective stickers for Click Wheels and the faces of certain other cases, such as its Sony PSP hard case.
A1QP: A-1 Quality Products showed off two new versions of its iKeychain holder for the iPod nano (iLounge rating: B+). One of the two cases is plated with strong, attractive gold. The other is encrusted with Swarovski crystals, and was in the process of being tested for durability. Prices will be a lot higher than for the standard iKeychains, but people will like the new glitter.
Pacific Rim Technologies: The company’s top product was its upcoming Nano Cradle, a complete dock and iPod remote control set devoted to the iPod nano. In addition to a physically nice design, the Nano Cradle has rear ports for both data and audio out, as well as a matching, medium-sized remote control for volume, track forward/backward, and play/pause. Oh - and it’ll be available in black, too. If the company does in fact sell Nano Cradle for the $40 price we’re hearing, we predict great things. Pacific Rim also showed off a 5G magnesium case, which like its 4G version has a hard clear plastic front for easy viewing (and strong protection) of the iPod’s screen. There’s still no top, Click Wheel, or Dock Connector protection, but the case looks nice.
Thought Out: The makers of FlexPed and Ped 2 were showing off new Fury speakers ($480) developed by Soundruid - a set of two satellite speakers and a large, substantial subwoofer that combine for 2.1 channel sound. While the enclosures of the speakers weren’t quite our style in looks (they look like small birdhouses, but feel a bit stronger), and there’s no iPod-specific component such as a dock, they can be significantly color-customized and even produced in natural wood tones.
A gallery of photos from the Expo is now available online for your enjoyment. A podcast of our Panel Discussion with leading iPod accessory makers is being handled by the Expo hosts and will hopefully be available online soon. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the iLounge booth: we enjoyed meeting you and hope you enjoyed the Lounge!
- Nest Protect alarm returning to stores with lower price
- Samsonite acquires Speck Products for $85 million
- Beats introduces new Solo2 headphones
- Apple confirms Beats Electronics acquisition for $3 billion
- Blog spotlights risks in cheap, counterfeit iPad chargers
- Gibson buys Philips’ Apple accessory brand, Woox Innovations
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple TV adds FOX Now, CNBC channels
- Popular Bitcoin wallet app Blockchain returns to App Store
- Report: Apple Stores to support carrier early iPhone upgrade programs
- Report: Apple buying talk radio app Swell
- Congress passes bill to legalize phone unlocking
- Bose sues Beats over noise-canceling patents
- iLounge Game Spotlight: Modern Combat 5: Blackout
- Apps of the Week: ShipAntics, Modern Combat 5, This American Life 3.0 + more
- Report: Apple could launch own mobile wallet this fall
- Report: Apple ‘tentatively’ plans mid-September iPhone event
- Kenu Airframe+ Portable Car Mount
- Incipio offGRID Smart Bluetooth Low Energy-Enabled Portable 6000mAh Backup Battery
- Divoom Voombox Travel Rugged Portable Wireless Speaker
- Logitech protection+ for iPhone 5/5s and +trip
- Beats Powerbeats2 Wireless
- Incipio Steno Ultra-Thin Bluetooth Keyboard Folio for iPad Air
- OtterBox Resurgence Power Case for iPhone 5/5s
- Gumdrop Cases FoamTech Case for iPad Air
- Ztylus Camera Case + RV-2 Revolver Lens for iPhone 5/5s
- JBL Synchros Reflect In-Ear Sport Headphones
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad, 2001 to 2010
- iHistory: From iPod + iTunes to iPhone, Apple TV + iPad: 2011 to Today
- Viewing only downloaded iTunes Match tracks