Portable Media Expo and Podcast Conference Concludes
Before the Portable Media Expo and Podcast Conference concluded last night, we spoke with visiting representatives of several companies about their upcoming products. Here’s what’s new and hot.
Core Cases: The iPod and games division of InnoPocket updated us on its Aluminum Case for iPod nano (sub-$20), previewed in our Holiday Buyers’ Guide. Last-minute tweaks before release have added further protection and features, including the ability to mount vertically or horizontally on a belt. The company is also planning to produce user-submitted (and other) protective stickers for Click Wheels and the faces of certain other cases, such as its Sony PSP hard case.
A1QP: A-1 Quality Products showed off two new versions of its iKeychain holder for the iPod nano (iLounge rating: B+). One of the two cases is plated with strong, attractive gold. The other is encrusted with Swarovski crystals, and was in the process of being tested for durability. Prices will be a lot higher than for the standard iKeychains, but people will like the new glitter.
Pacific Rim Technologies: The company’s top product was its upcoming Nano Cradle, a complete dock and iPod remote control set devoted to the iPod nano. In addition to a physically nice design, the Nano Cradle has rear ports for both data and audio out, as well as a matching, medium-sized remote control for volume, track forward/backward, and play/pause. Oh - and it’ll be available in black, too. If the company does in fact sell Nano Cradle for the $40 price we’re hearing, we predict great things. Pacific Rim also showed off a 5G magnesium case, which like its 4G version has a hard clear plastic front for easy viewing (and strong protection) of the iPod’s screen. There’s still no top, Click Wheel, or Dock Connector protection, but the case looks nice.
Thought Out: The makers of FlexPed and Ped 2 were showing off new Fury speakers ($480) developed by Soundruid - a set of two satellite speakers and a large, substantial subwoofer that combine for 2.1 channel sound. While the enclosures of the speakers weren’t quite our style in looks (they look like small birdhouses, but feel a bit stronger), and there’s no iPod-specific component such as a dock, they can be significantly color-customized and even produced in natural wood tones.
A gallery of photos from the Expo is now available online for your enjoyment. A podcast of our Panel Discussion with leading iPod accessory makers is being handled by the Expo hosts and will hopefully be available online soon. Thanks to everyone who stopped by the iLounge booth: we enjoyed meeting you and hope you enjoyed the Lounge!
- Spigen AirPods Stand coming in mid-February
- New Griffin Home lineup includes app-enabled Connected Mirror, Coffee Maker, Toaster
- Kanex reveals GoPlay Sidekick wireless game controller for iOS devices, Apple TV
- AirPods coming to Apple retail stores Monday Dec. 19
- Apple reveals service pricing for lost AirPods, battery replacements
- Report: Apple’s BeatsX earphones could be delayed 2-3 months (Update: Coming in February)
- Apple Music creative team discusses the service’s exclusives, future
- Apple raising UK App Store prices by more than 25 percent
- Iovine fuels speculation about Apple’s interest in scripted TV shows
- Report: ‘iPhone 8’ to include upgraded water resistance
- U.S. appeals court resurrects App Store antitrust lawsuit against Apple
- Apple increases maximum tvOS app size to 4GB
- Apple releases fourth iOS 10.2.1 beta
- Apple looking to produce original TV content for Apple Music subscribers
- FBI releases heavily redacted information about cracking iPhone
- Apple partners with Tresorit to offer encryption option to CareKit developers
- Revogi Smart Lightbulb, Smart Lightstrip, Smart Candle + Smart Meter Plug
- Audeze iSine10 In-Ear Headphones
- MOCACARE MOCACuff Connected Blood Pressure Monitor
- Apple AirPods
- Elgato Eve Motion
- Olloclip Core Lens Set for iPhone 7/7 Plus
- Logitech Pop Home Switch Starter Pack
- Elgato Eve Light Switch
- iHome iPLWBT5 Docking Clock Radio for iPhone and Apple Watch
- Brydge 12.9 iPad Pro Keyboard
- Top Five: The Best Products for Building a Smart Home with HomeKit
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of watchOS 3
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of tvOS 10
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 10
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Photos gets Advanced Computer Vision
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Music app delivers ‘clarity and simplicity’
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 Maps gets a major redesign
- Inside the betas: iOS 10 shakes up the user experience
- Inside the betas: watchOS 3 promises a real speed boost
- Inside the betas: A sneak peek at what’s new in tvOS 10