Power Technology debuts iDFX iTunes add-on | iLounge News

Power Technology debuts iDFX iTunes add-on

image

Power Technology has introduced its new iDFX Audio Enhancer software add-on for iTunes. According to the company, iDFX re-encodes users’ current MP3 and AAC files via a “patent-pending method that repairs the damage and lost harmonics that occurred during the original encoding process.” In addition, the company also claims that the software sets all songs to a standard volume level, similar to Apple’s SoundCheck feature, and increases the audio clarity and undistorted maximum output level when used with iPod docks and in-car connections. iDFX requires Windows XP, Vista or higher and iTunes 8 or higher, and is available now for $40. A free trial version is also available.

« Apple charging $10,000, barring indies from iTunes LP

AT&T updates carrier settings for U.S. iPhones »

Comments

Code Monkey, at this point I guess we should just agree to disagree. Your statements about what we are doing to the audio are flat not true. For example, your claim that “its a basic gain amplification on the audio” is 100% flat wrong and its not a fair statement. We are modifying the audio in a proprietary way that allows much higher undistorted playback level without audible gain compression.

This is a strong feature. As you know, most iPod and PC audio systems have pretty low headroom and dynamic range, way less then even a modest level home stereo. This means even at moderate listening levels some clipping occurs, and if you need louder playback in some cases, ie a party, you will get very audible distortion.

DFX allows much louder playback before any audible distortion occurs, so a small iPod speaker dock will be much more usable in multiple listener situations.

We allow users to do an exact comparision between the original totally unmodified audio and the audio enhanced with iDFX. Our trial version lets you make this comparison on any song you wish, and processes the entire song without interruption, so you can hear the original song at an audio level you choose and then listen to an iDFX song at your chosen playback level.

What more would you expect us to do other than to let the user hear exactly what they will get if they buy the product on any song they choose at whatever playback level they choose?

I know you don’t like the fact that the processed versions have a higher output level, but again, that’s a significant feature of the product in that it allows you get that higher playback level on typical headroom limited playback systems without any distortion, unlike what would occur if it was just “a simple volume level change”.

It wouldn’t make sense not to show potential users exactly what they will get, including this increased undistorted output level capability, and if anything would be confusing to users as the product they purchased would behave pretty differently from the one they evaluated.

A few other clarifications. On a typical PC, the enhancement of a typical 3 to 4 minute mp3 or aac song takes about 20 to 30 seconds. Your 35,000 song file library is impressive, but we find most users have song libraries smaller than that and can enhance their entire library by just doing an “Enhance All” operation and letting it run overnight. Also, our enhanced song files are fully compatible with the MP3 and Apple specifications. We’ll look into the problems you stated regarding reading the files into the Foobar and other 3rd party tools you mentioned.

Posted by titchener on October 12, 2009 at 9:17 AM (PDT)

I tried IDFX, to say something against it would be pure ignorancy. Without IDFX the file sounds primitive, once applied the IDFX you’ll never want to listen the song the way it was encoded originally.

Posted by Jose on October 21, 2009 at 3:21 PM (PDT)

I will throw my hat in the iDFX camp. I used tbe trial version to enhance a couple of my old Queensryche albums that were ripped using CDEX (I love this software). I noticed that one of the albums was mastered at very low levels and I tried to compensate for that by ripping my MP3s at higher db levels. That made a slight improvement. I used the trial version of iDFX to enhance these albums and have sure been enjoying them so much more now.  Oh, BTW, I just ordered the plus version and am looking forward to enhancing more of my mp3 collection for my ipod. Excellent product and very easy to use.

Posted by Lino on November 25, 2009 at 9:31 PM (PDT)

The difference is amazing. iDFX is a software that all musician or fans whose sound quality is important needs to buy. I am a pianist and I never bought a CD from Itunes because I always found that the sound quality wasn’t worth listening. But with iDFX it’s an other story. Congratulations for the great work.

Posted by Hamitouche Kamel on December 1, 2009 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

Code Monkey, I think this product is great! Your opinion is and will only be “subjective” because your making these opinions.It not like you where on the production team and know any thing about what they actually are doing you just have your assumptions. First of all you where judging/slandering it before you even tried it out when there was a free trial this is kind of unfathomable to me. The readers, Paul Titchener and I know you have a bias opinion going in to the testing. This “snake-oil” you speak of is a good product It has made my music sound better in every medium I have played it through, even my crappy little netbook speakers witch I can play at max (and still sound good)with the help of this application. I would like to say thanks to Paul Titchener and the rest of the IDFX team for making such a wonderful product

Posted by emviper1 on January 30, 2010 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

I think Code Monkey has too much time on his hands. He sure spent a lot of time reviewing a product that he never tried. Moving on, I downloaded the product and think it does a great job. If your speakers lack Bass,you definitely want iDFX. Unfortunately Power Technology does not have a FAQ. It would be nice to know if iDFX will work with programs such as CopyTrans, if it can be installed on more than one computer, and how much iPod memory you lose, etc.

I guess my only complaints is that it eats up lots of memory. If your pod is almost full you will not be able to use this product. Power Technology has to be intentionally omitting this key information in order to increase sales, and I saw no mention of refunds.

Posted by Icespur on April 28, 2010 at 8:34 PM (PDT)

Propaganda.

nuf’ said.

Posted by amanite on June 29, 2010 at 4:25 AM (PDT)

Quick question—-  Once you have applied iDFX enhancement to a song in your iTunes collection, can you burn the enhanced version of the song over to a CD,  and will the resulting CD reflect the enhancement?

Posted by Bill Sheehan on March 7, 2013 at 12:12 PM (PDT)

Code Monkey, when you start insulting people, calling everyone who doesn’t agree with you “stupid”, your credibility goes right out the window.

Doesn’t matter if you do know more than everyone else on earth.

Posted by StyxTx on July 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 2 pages  <  1 2