Princeton identifies iPad networking issue
Princeton University has published a document outlining the iPad’s wireless networking issue that has led the school to block several of the devices from its network. According to the document, the iPad sometimes fails to release its IP address within the time allotted by the school’s Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, posing a potential problem for other devices that are assigned the same IP address by the server once the iPad’s lease has expired. Specifically, the problem is reproducible by allowing the iPad to lock its screen before its DHCP lease renewal time, and allowing it to remain in that state until after the lease has expired. The university is currently working with Apple to provide technical data which may be used to resolve the issue; it is also working with individual iPad owners, pointing them to a workaround for the issue. To date, Princeton has blocked only nine iPads from its network, some of which have since been unblocked; of the 41 iPads on the campus network, 25 have exhibited the issue.
- Apple provides iPads to 114 schools through ConnectED program
- Rumors: ‘iPad Pro’ found in data logs, to enter production in coming months
- Apple releases iOS 8.4.1, iTunes 12.2.2
- Apple increases iPad business focus, partners with 40+ companies
- El Capitan file hints at split-screen apps on iPad mini 4
- Report: iPhone 6S Force Touch to focus on shortcuts
- Amazon Video app update lets Prime users download movies, TV shows for offline viewing
- Report: Apple considering move into original programming
- Malware steals 225,000+ Apple account logins from jailbroken iPhones
- Apple announces partnership with Cisco for iOS business users
- Report: New Apple TV to support Bluetooth gaming controllers
- Google releases iOS app that links some Android Wear watches to newer iPhones
- Apple to make Apple Camp program available year-round
- Apple hiring ex-Microsoft employee hints at augmented reality plans
- Judge limits further filings in patent case between Apple and Samsung
- Report: New Apple TV less than $200, arriving in October
- Odoyo KickStand Charging Dock for Apple Watch
- Tech21 Evo Mesh Sport for iPhone 6 and Evo Elite for iPhone 6 Plus
- Thonet & Vander Koloss Bluetooth Speaker
- iHome iSP5 SmartPlug
- Spigen Apple Watch Nightstand S350
- DODOcase Lorna iPhone Wallet Case for iPhone 6 Plus
- SwitchEasy Blocks Customizable Dock Building Set for Apple Watch
- DODOcase Maritime Collection Multi-Angle Case for iPad Air 2
- Kanex iPhone ChargeSync Dock for iPhone 6 + iPhone 6 Plus
- Onanoff Sound Cover for iPad Air + iPad Air 2
- A First Look at iOS 9’s Transit in Apple Maps (Updated for watchOS 2)
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iTunes 12.2
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.4 + Apple Music
- CE Week 2015: IK Multimedia, Monowear’s Apple Watch bands + More
- Live From CE Week 2015: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- Opinion: The ‘Grand Experiment’ of shifting to Google Photos
- Will removing a credit card from Safari also remove it from Apple Pay?
- Can I mute Handoff calls coming into my Mac from my iPhone?
- How do I keep my iPhone calls from ringing on my Mac?
- Why doesn’t Traffic show up on my Today Notifications Screen?