Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release | iLounge News

Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release

image

Apple has officially released iPhone Software 2.0 through iTunes and its $9.99 iPhone 2.0 Software Update for the iPod touch. Due to the installation process for iPhone Software 2.0, which requires the device to be completely erased, the phone must re-activate through iTunes’ servers to be functional following the update. A number of readers are reporting that their iPhones are unable to re-activate following the installation, leaving their phones “bricked” until Apple and AT&T fix the activation problems. On a related note, iPod touch users are reporting that they are unable to download the update from iTunes due to connection problems, which are most likely connected to the larger activation issues. We advise users to hold off on attempting to download and install either update until the issues are worked out. [Image via RedEye]

« Live iPhone 3G vs. iPhone Comparison Test Results Here

Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated] »

Comments

Bought 3 16gig iphones this morning stood in line since 5am and now nada! This sucks!
We have 3 black boxes and zero phones or ipods. 972 dollars apps zero dollars getting the phone to actually work?
PRICELESS!!!!

Posted by stil29 on July 11, 2008 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

I called apple and they said they are trying to fix things. They also said that it is not broken and is just a matter of time. And hey… I’m the first commenter! grin Dont let iTunes ruin your day!!!

Posted by Alex on July 11, 2008 at 9:40 AM (PDT)

i guess I’m not the first…. second is good enough!

Posted by Alex on July 11, 2008 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

Software updated, but iTunes cannot sync any old info or content. The phone works, but no contacts, mail accounts, music or any other settings.

Posted by Eric on July 11, 2008 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

now when i try to upsate my ipod touch it says “this version of the ipod software is the current version” instead of trying to take me to the update page in itunes, so theyre obviously trying to fix things now…

Posted by corys on July 11, 2008 at 9:51 AM (PDT)

I have kept trying to download the iPod Touch 2.0 software for my 16GB iPod Touch and earlier this morning it kept saying there was an update (the 2.0 software) and there was a link to the iTunes store that would give me more information, sadly I clicked on it and it said that there was a problem with the iTunes store, but I checked and I was able to connect to the store with no problems. So since I was not able to download the update I decided to restart my MacBook Pro and see what would happen and now its not even detecting that there is an update… This is truly bothersome, but I trust Apple to get it resolved quickly.

Posted by Andrew Wolfrum on July 11, 2008 at 9:55 AM (PDT)

Quickly?  It’s been 3 hours!

Posted by Matt on July 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

So I have an iphone v1 and trying to update our iphones and we’re having problems also installing this puppy, 2.0, on them.

Posted by Paul on July 11, 2008 at 10:00 AM (PDT)

My 1.0 is frozen. I can only make emergency calls. I hope they fix it soon.

Posted by Andy on July 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Wow, I thought about waiting and not doing direct download, but now I’m glad I went ahead… In any case, I think you’ll find 2.0 to be quite excellent, ignoring the pains in upgrading. Hopefully Apple will get a handle on the issue(s) quickly.

Posted by chashulme in Southern California on July 11, 2008 at 10:03 AM (PDT)

Well, I updated my 16GB iPhone to 2.0 as soon as iTunes picked it up, and now my iPhone is “bricked”—can’t do anything. I keep on trying to reconnect to the iTunes Store to fix, but I keep on getting the “We cannot complete your iTunes request. The Network connection was reset.” message. I wish Apple had dealt w/ all the bugs before they put 2.0 online!

Posted by Rob on July 11, 2008 at 10:06 AM (PDT)

I was having the same issue but read how to fix it on another site.

1. Go to applications image capture

2. Under the prefrences change when camera is connected open to no application.

3. Restart itunes connect phone and it will work.

Everyone I know that has tried this has gotten around the error message.

Posted by spwguru on July 11, 2008 at 10:09 AM (PDT)

I tried to install the update on my iPhone 1 and it appears to be bricked. :(

Posted by Steven on July 11, 2008 at 10:10 AM (PDT)

Come on Apple… I love you guys but didn’t you learn from the last time?

Posted by Bender on July 11, 2008 at 10:13 AM (PDT)

after updating 2.0 i am getting “We cannot complete your iTunes request. The Network connection was reset.” message…. and it appears to be bricked ... :o(....

Any solution…. i am using PC!!!!

Posted by Ritu on July 11, 2008 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

In response to spwguru in number 12’s posting, please clarify where “applications image capture” is and where to find the preferences in the following step.

Thank you.

Posted by travis on July 11, 2008 at 10:31 AM (PDT)

@travis
Im sorry if I was not clear enough.

Go to your applications (mac) folder
The program is called Image capture
then click the prefrences and follow the instructions I listed

Posted by spwguru on July 11, 2008 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I would normally wait a few weeks until the dust settles, but no…i had to go and update my IPhone with 2.0 the second it was available until I get the 3G ...and like you all, now have a brick.  Teaches me to go back to nomal and wait a few friggin days again next time.

Posted by Drack on July 11, 2008 at 10:37 AM (PDT)

spwguru means in the Applications folder, open the Image Capture application. Problem is, I did that, and my 1st gen iPhone is still bricked.

Posted by Rob on July 11, 2008 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

apparently I’m having the same issue as everyone else….  now my only phone….  is totally locked up!  Hope they get something going quickly!

Posted by RRose on July 11, 2008 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 6 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »