Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release | iLounge News

Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release

image

Apple has officially released iPhone Software 2.0 through iTunes and its $9.99 iPhone 2.0 Software Update for the iPod touch. Due to the installation process for iPhone Software 2.0, which requires the device to be completely erased, the phone must re-activate through iTunes’ servers to be functional following the update. A number of readers are reporting that their iPhones are unable to re-activate following the installation, leaving their phones “bricked” until Apple and AT&T fix the activation problems. On a related note, iPod touch users are reporting that they are unable to download the update from iTunes due to connection problems, which are most likely connected to the larger activation issues. We advise users to hold off on attempting to download and install either update until the issues are worked out. [Image via RedEye]

« Live iPhone 3G vs. iPhone Comparison Test Results Here

Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated] »

Comments

Who organizes a 5-hour wait time to purchase an iPhone along with signing contracts? AT&T of course. Ridiculous.

Posted by Gee on July 14, 2008 at 5:39 PM (CDT)

How can so many people complain? All you need to do is keep on trying. Mine was bricked, after 10 times, it worked. No crying for me.

Posted by Troy on July 14, 2008 at 5:43 PM (CDT)

I have a ipod touch 8 GB and looking to upgrade to version 2.0. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade to software version 2.0?

Posted by Shayne De Wildt on July 15, 2008 at 2:42 AM (CDT)

I would recommend the upgrade.  Other than the wait to actually get it downloaded - it has been reliable (so far), and a robust update.  I would not discourage you from updating at this point.  I would like to know about the “free” update that was mentioned previously in a post to this thread.

Shyane De Wildt wrote:
“I was wondering if it would be a good idea to upgrade to software version 2.0? “

Posted by Mike on July 15, 2008 at 9:31 AM (CDT)

Tried to update my iPod Touch 8GB to 2.0 Sunday night, via my desktop PC.  I updated iTunes to 7.7 first and all seemed to go well.  The 2.0 update did not go well.  I purchased the upgrade though iTunes and installation started automatically after download was complete.  Ultimately I wound up with a “brick” that only displays icons indicating I need to connect the iTouch to iTunes.  When I do so, iTunes informs me the iPod is in “recovery” mode and I must restore factory settings.  Restoring factory settings seems to be the only action or option available.  I attempted to do several times, but the same “unknown error 1603” occurs every time and it’s back to square one.

I took my iTouch to the local Apple store and they set it back to V1.4 but did not offer to also install the 2.0 upgrade.  Instead they told me to go try it again. Same thing happened again…of course.  During this attempt I was presented with a window/prompt “Currently Syncing playlist…Continue with Restore operation?”...or something to that effect.  I clicked “yes”, or “restore”, or what ever the affirmative response was…Mistake?  I had not requested the unit to sync and there was no other visual indication a sync operation was in progress. I almost threw the iTouch at the wall when it bricked again but, summoning all my will, I gently set it down and took a deep breath instead.  Now have another appointment at the (a different) Apple store tonight.  They say they will perform the upgrade for me.  While this will probably work, it will take some time and my appointment is the last of the evening (8:50pm).  Still don’t know what will happen once I get it home and attempt to sync it.

Questions:  The software update does not show up under my iTunes purchases.  Where did it go?  How can I keep/back it up?  I asked this question the first time I was in the Apple store and was informed I could back up my purchases online under the Advanced menu in iTunes.  This in-fact is not the case, I can find no such option.  What happens if I need to reinstall my OS (Windows XP) if there’s a catastrophic failure?

Posted by GWayne on July 15, 2008 at 12:16 PM (CDT)

I downloaded the update 2.0 on saturday and then the problems began…first the wi-fi could not connect so i had a problem there,
then the battery drained super fast, i mean FAST (have not been able to keep a charge on it!!) I had a perfectly good ipod touch before the upgrade now after paying apple $10.00 i now have a very expensive mp3 player that doesn’t do anything except play music. NO INTERNET< NO EMAILS NOTHING!!!!!
Thanks a lot Apple..Great Update!!  NOT!!!

Posted by Steve S on July 15, 2008 at 7:41 PM (CDT)

I downloaded 2.0 on to my iPhone (8GB original) after some difficulty. This amounted to a Restore on the phone and I lost everything, but the device works and I have 2.0 on the phone. A word of advice: make sure you have a backup of EVERYTHING before you download 2.0 to yuor phone. I wish Apple would have warned me that this would happen as I lost some photos and many recent phone numbers. All it said was download and install. Can’t say that anything is really improved over the old software so far, except that the mass delete from email is nice. Definitely this was not the same experience I had a year ago when I got the my iPhone.

Posted by Steve P on July 16, 2008 at 1:32 AM (CDT)

Update to my last post.  I took my iPod Touch to the Apple store a second time.  They de-brick-ified it for me but did not do the 2.0 update.  The technician was however able to look up my fault code (1603) and offer some suggested actions to try.  I tried several of these, and I also disabled Automatic Syncing in iTunes, but the same problem occurred.

As strange as it sounds, the problem was ultimately with the USB cable connection port.  I had connected it to a USB port on my flat screen monitor.  Note this is the same cable and port location I used to activate the iPod when I first got it, and the port/cable I have used to sync it ever since without problems.  During 2.0 installation, prior to failure, I noticed windows was indicating an “unknown” USB device was connected but not functioning.  After installation failed the last time, I moved the USB connector to one directly on the front of the PC and reattempted the installation.  It completed successfully and I now have 2.0 installed.

Posted by GWayne on July 17, 2008 at 7:57 AM (CDT)

Hey,
I’ve got the same problem today, trying to update my iphone to the (...) 2.0!!
Do you still have that problem???

Posted by Youme on July 17, 2008 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

Ok, so I’ve been trying to upgrade my iTouch for the past hour or so and, like GWayne, my iPod went into recovery mode and all of a sudden the 2.0 update was no where to be found! Then, when I thought it couldn’t get any worse, iTunes had also lost network connection! I was SO upset that I threw my iPod on the ground. Needless to say, I reset my modem and hooked my iPod back up (it’s still working). And, surprisingly, all my customized homescreen icons, music, photos, etc are still there and so far the update process is running smoothly. I would hate to go through what the new iPhone users are going through. Glad I’m sticking with my Blackberry. I can’t handle this, Apple! Get your act together!

Posted by Mahealani on July 17, 2008 at 3:54 PM (CDT)

When you take the 2.0 update itunes will erase your ipod and then resync. With this in mind make sure you sync your ipod before the update or anything that was on it before a sync will be lost. Also if you’ve taken the January update I don’t think that they charge you as I haven’t been billed yet and I got it the first day and you know apple they bill you right away. My problem is syncing it puts on my new podcasts but it don’t always take off my old ones, all my settings are fine and after a few more tries it may be alright but makes for a long painfull process anyone else having this problem. I’m thinking the problem is with itunes not the 2.0 update. One last thing and its good are the apps. I love them as they make the already super ipod touch untouchable!

Posted by WD. on July 20, 2008 at 9:36 AM (CDT)

What a freakin’ mess!  I started upgrading about 11:00 PM last night… actually finished about 9:00 AM THIS MORNING!

Posted by DonOnCapeCod on July 22, 2008 at 11:39 AM (CDT)

i hacked my ipod so its crazy awsome and im wondering if i update to 2.0 will it un hack it and make it retarded?

Posted by jordan on July 30, 2008 at 8:59 PM (CDT)

so is the update for the phone working now?? ive been waiting for an article to come out saying it is good to go but nvr saw it. worried it will brickafy my phone.

to jordan: if u hacked it so its so crzy awsome then why would u want to update it?

Posted by JoeySanFran on July 31, 2008 at 3:07 AM (CDT)

i’ve recently purchased a ipod touch and to apply games you have to install the 2.0 iphone upgrade….its not looking good. i had purchased a few games thinking (yeah no worries ill be able to put it straight on this bad boy) now the bloody thing wont read it! i just wanna play games man! whats the big deal?its saying that itunes cant connect to the ipod update software server because im apparantly not connected to the internet!!!! well how the bloody hell would i be writing this if im not on the friggin internet? huh? then they go and sting ya $12 bucks to turn around and give you the finger. work the justice out in that!

Posted by josh on October 21, 2008 at 8:57 AM (CDT)

I have been trying to download the new software,version 2.2 but it keeps saying err=9006

Posted by bcockcroft on December 26, 2008 at 4:39 PM (CST)

when I try to do the update it says I am not allowed to do this, and it won’t let me connect to the server

Posted by tucker on December 27, 2008 at 12:50 PM (CST)

Wow, I didn’t know this many people were having the same problem. I paid 9.99 to update my ipod touch and it’s saying I must be having server connection problems, which I’m not. People were having this problem in December when they said there was a ton of people trying to update with all the iPod touches that were bought for Christmas, and the server just couldn’t handle it, but this is 7 months later. I’m all out of ideas.

Posted by Patricia on July 28, 2009 at 2:00 AM (CDT)

since updating my 3G software to the latest update, i have had no end of troubles with phones calls dropping out even in max signal areas. people get the engaed signal when i’m not and when i try to call i either get a dead line or the call just doesn’t go through. it has caused other isuues aswell including battery life greatly reduced and many apps not opening or continually closing down during use. apples reply re-install software agagin, or reboot. neither one fixes it. my iphone worked much better with its original software. PITA
PS: when my son upgraded software his screen stopped working as a touch screen. at least they replaced his phone with a new one.

Posted by larry on November 7, 2009 at 9:54 PM (CST)

Page 6 of 6 pages ‹ First  < 4 5 6