Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release | iLounge News

Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release

image

Apple has officially released iPhone Software 2.0 through iTunes and its $9.99 iPhone 2.0 Software Update for the iPod touch. Due to the installation process for iPhone Software 2.0, which requires the device to be completely erased, the phone must re-activate through iTunes’ servers to be functional following the update. A number of readers are reporting that their iPhones are unable to re-activate following the installation, leaving their phones “bricked” until Apple and AT&T fix the activation problems. On a related note, iPod touch users are reporting that they are unable to download the update from iTunes due to connection problems, which are most likely connected to the larger activation issues. We advise users to hold off on attempting to download and install either update until the issues are worked out. [Image via RedEye]

« Live iPhone 3G vs. iPhone Comparison Test Results Here

Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated] »

Comments

no dice spwguru.

Posted by Ben on July 11, 2008 at 1:45 PM (CDT)

I, too, have a pc and tried installing 2.0 Now I get the same messages…network connection and also the phone is showing only able to call emergency number!  HELP!  I’m really at a loss for what to do.

Posted by Carol on July 11, 2008 at 1:53 PM (CDT)

I downloaded the SW from the link that ILounge posted yesterday and it updated great.  Activated on the first try.  And now it works like a charm.  Love the new SW.  I would guess that the “problems” they are having is just like the article implies, large number of people hitting the server from every corner of the world at the same time.

Posted by ElkySS on July 11, 2008 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

I hope Apple learns from this that they should never, ever do this this way again.

I got there about 45 minutes before the open, and was about 30th in line.  Very reasonable for this kind of thing.  But once I got to the door, it took another 2 hours.

Some of that was the delay with the servers, but then it started taking for ever per customer.  People want tech support. They ask questions. They don’t have the ID they’re supposed to have.

Me and 200 people behind me would have been in and out of there in 15 minutes if we could just buy and leave.

Posted by Jon on July 11, 2008 at 1:56 PM (CDT)

I think what is frustrating is it is clear that Apple knows about the problem, but they haven’t made any public statements about it. They need to reset expectations and encourage calm. Otherwise, the media will feed off of this and proclaim this launch as a failure. As a consumer that is having the bricking problem, I am very disappointed. They should at least explain to me what is happening and why.

Posted by Andy on July 11, 2008 at 2:19 PM (CDT)

115 minutes on hold with tech support. another 48 minutes attempting to do 2 restores on the phone. All I got was “I’m sorry we couldn’t help you with your problem today.”

Dead phone.  Every moment I don’t have a phone I get more and more pissed. I actually told the Apple support person to throw a prepaid phone into a cab and send it to my house now. She laughed.
I didn’t.

Sure itunes works to buy music but it doesn’t work to activate your phone. And why should it. They already have your money!

I’m serious. This is the worst apple day ever.

Posted by bpatrick on July 11, 2008 at 2:27 PM (CDT)

same problem over here in the uk as well..
same error messege; “we could not complete your i tunes store request.  the network connection timed out….
make sure your network settings are correct and your network connection is active, then try again”.

well i checked all network connections and checked internet options and made sure all was in order.  i even tryed it on my other computer.

we dont have to be albert einsteins to know this is a problem out of our control.
come on itunes get it sorted

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 2:33 PM (CDT)

I get the same exact message Dane. Talk about frustrating!!

Posted by Toodles on July 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

hold on a minute
is this only hapening here in the uk

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

times like this a wish i had my xda orbit

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 2:43 PM (CDT)

6 hours (at least) and no word

This has to be Apples worst nightmare, and ours, come on Apple we expect some respect as to what is going on

Posted by don on July 11, 2008 at 2:45 PM (CDT)

i dont beleive the 3g iphone advert as just been one
itv

im not sad…im just pissed off..

nothing to do now

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 2:46 PM (CDT)

Holy cow this is happening in the UK Canada and the US?
Apple really underestimated their needs.  We pay for their mistake yet the blame will be on the consumers. I bet they’ll blame the problem on the “Rush ” of people trying to download and not on the lack of support they clearly have in offering the service.

I just heard the servers will be down most of the day and well into the evening in the US.

Thanks Apple!  5 hours of trying to fix your screw up. The least you could do is come out and say there is a problem!

Posted by bpatrick on July 11, 2008 at 2:52 PM (CDT)

Whose brilliant idea was this, anyway?  My 2g is still locked into the “emergency phone calls only” mode.  After a frustrating day of waiting an hour to reach tech support only to be frustrated more by being told “sorry we couldn’t solve your problem”, I am ready to kiss this whole iphone fiasco goodbye!  I love Apple, but they just dumped on all of us…let’s hope they never do things this way again. Shades of Microsoft!!!!!

Posted by Carol on July 11, 2008 at 3:00 PM (CDT)

the thing is we carnt even put the phone to its orginal state.
we should get free itunes music for…... (well i was gonna say a day but it’ll probably happen again!!!)

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 3:07 PM (CDT)

You saps should have grabbed the software yesterday when it was made available. I did and I’m running all kinds of cool new apps, checking my Exchange email, and using my iphone as a lightsaber as we speak.

Posted by Brian on July 11, 2008 at 3:11 PM (CDT)

its working try it

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

I tried the fix mentioned above, it did not work. Then I remembered that I had this problem with one of my earlier updates.

I simply plugged it into another usb port on my powerbook and it was able to connect to itunes. Everything works now!!

You may want to give it a try.

Posted by Justin Escher on July 11, 2008 at 3:12 PM (CDT)

it’s working!! Try plugging it back in again and maybe it’ll work for you like it is for me.

Posted by Toodles on July 11, 2008 at 3:14 PM (CDT)

It’s working now.

Keep trying.  I just updated 2 3G phones.  :)

Posted by Matt on July 11, 2008 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

Page 2 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 >  Last ›