Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release | iLounge News

Problems plague official iPhone, iPod touch Software 2.0 release

image

Apple has officially released iPhone Software 2.0 through iTunes and its $9.99 iPhone 2.0 Software Update for the iPod touch. Due to the installation process for iPhone Software 2.0, which requires the device to be completely erased, the phone must re-activate through iTunes’ servers to be functional following the update. A number of readers are reporting that their iPhones are unable to re-activate following the installation, leaving their phones “bricked” until Apple and AT&T fix the activation problems. On a related note, iPod touch users are reporting that they are unable to download the update from iTunes due to connection problems, which are most likely connected to the larger activation issues. We advise users to hold off on attempting to download and install either update until the issues are worked out. [Image via RedEye]

« Live iPhone 3G vs. iPhone Comparison Test Results Here

Apple changes Bluetooth Headset, drops Dual Dock [updated] »

Comments

Definitely working!

Posted by mossy on July 11, 2008 at 3:18 PM (CDT)

thanks guys seems ok ish now!!!!still doing its thing

Posted by dane wilson on July 11, 2008 at 3:26 PM (CDT)

Well now the update for the iPod touch is gone?! It was telling me that it could not connect to the Itunes store before, now it says that my software is up to date with 1.1.4!! This blows!!! Yet another problem:( Get it together APPLE!!

Posted by Cbco99 on July 11, 2008 at 3:29 PM (CDT)

I downloaded and installed 2.0 last night. It took a total of about a half hour including the restoration of content on previous system for a perfect install. However, I was thinking to myself during the process, that an interruption at any time during the update could spell disaster. The update requires patience and a “hands off” attitude until the several-step process is complete…

Posted by RNB in Bakersfield, CA on July 11, 2008 at 3:35 PM (CDT)

THEY STILL HAVENT FIXED THE TOUCH DOWNLOAD!!! GRRR!!!!!!

Posted by corys on July 11, 2008 at 4:14 PM (CDT)

It’s working now—hooray!

Posted by Rob on July 11, 2008 at 4:19 PM (CDT)

I have been trying to upload 2.0 to my ipod touch since 11:30 this morning.  I have clicked on the link about every 20 minutes and the same message has come up when trying to connect to itunes though my itunes connects fine when i go there manually.  But now nothing happens when i click on the link.
Has apple posted anything about this?  I have looked…i just want to be informed.  I want my apps! :)

Posted by Ksatples on July 11, 2008 at 4:36 PM (CDT)

i know Ksatples, im in the same boat. ive been trying since early this morning, around 9 or 10 am. this really sux bc ive already downloaded a ton of apps but i cant use them, and i want super monkey ball. apple has really disappointed me with this one….

Posted by corys on July 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM (CDT)

I think Apple was totally unprepared for the iPhone release. Still no updaters for Leopard and TIger to fix dotmac in the OS. Mobileme still not working. Can’t download the iPod updater.

You think they would have learned from last year and brought more servers online for at least a week after the launch.

Posted by Randy Smith on July 11, 2008 at 5:25 PM (CDT)

I was concerned about trying the direct link last night to update my phone but then remembered what it was like for so many last year—I stood in line and then got home as quickly as I could so I could activate before the hoards hit!  Anyway the direct link worked like a charm—30 minutes later I was live.  And so I beat the traffic.

I know it’s a bummer for all of you in this boat but I wish to say this:  2.0 totally rocks!  It is a major breakthrough.  The Apps are fantastic!  I feel like it’s a brand new phone without having to buy a new one.

Posted by random person on July 11, 2008 at 5:38 PM (CDT)

These comments are funny when you read from #1-50. First, things are bad, and gets worse and worse (grr, Apple sucks!), and then suddenly, everything lights up (Yea! Apple!).

Posted by edub on July 11, 2008 at 5:45 PM (CDT)

well it said that there was an update available… i clicked update.. it said would like to learn more… the it tried to connect to the itunes store… then NOTHING!! it went back to the ipod screen:( i tried a couple more time and NOTHING!! when I tried again it then said my software was up to date with 1.1.4 AGAIN!!! whats the deal!! Come on APPLE!! get it together. I realize most people arent gonna just drop your product and never come back… but you guys could at leat be prepared for this!!!

Posted by Cbco99 on July 11, 2008 at 5:51 PM (CDT)

BWAHAHAHAHAHA!

See, this wouldn’t have happened if you managed to upgrade BEFORE the official release! Which I did by mere hours.

I’m learning that following rules are the bane of our existence.

Posted by BLACKSOULTAN on July 11, 2008 at 6:44 PM (CDT)

Server Down - 5:45PM CST

Posted by RGT on July 11, 2008 at 6:45 PM (CDT)

does anyone know if the ipod touch update can be used on the ipod touch? I have that but am not sure if it will work. any help would be great!!

Posted by Cbco99 on July 11, 2008 at 7:19 PM (CDT)

sorry i meant the iphone software on the ipod touch..

Posted by Cbco99 on July 11, 2008 at 7:25 PM (CDT)

No, the iPhone software won’t work on the iPod touch - they want you to pay $10 for the privilege. Aside, the 2.0 update still is not working for the iPod touch - this is absolutely terrible. You’d think that since 8AM EST they’d have 9 hours to fix the problem but no, it’s not fixed.

Anyone else experiencing the same?

Posted by Qin Zhi on July 11, 2008 at 8:05 PM (CDT)

still no update 4 the ipod touch here in the UK and its the 12/07/08 01:09am
apple has had all day 2 get this fixed and still nothing and no word about whats going on, they have had months 2 get this ready??? they no there stock levels for the iphone so there is no excuse??????

but still, once in does work all the apple fans will be out saying whats the problem its a perfect system…..

you would never get this problem lasting so long from microsoft or any other company, major PR mess from apple….
but then apple can do no wrong haha

Posted by allmine on July 11, 2008 at 8:12 PM (CDT)

You gotta hate Itunes..man that shitty program has costed me too much money, in loss of music. That might also be their strategy..hmm.

Posted by Morten on July 11, 2008 at 8:30 PM (CDT)

so the update for the touch is $9.99 in the states,
which is really under £5 here in the UK, any1 no the price 4 the UK ipod touch download yet? if its £10 or over after this then its a disgusting over price charge from apple like there Jan (6 months ago) charge was

Posted by allmine on July 11, 2008 at 8:39 PM (CDT)

Page 3 of 6 pages  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  Last ›