ProClip announces auto mounts for iPod | iLounge News

ProClip announces auto mounts for iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, September 2, 2003
News Categories: iPod Accessories

pic ProClip, makers of custom made accessory mounts for automobiles has announced new mounts for iPod. “ProClip mounting brackets are clip-on devices, that attach to the car or truck’s dashboard or console, and can be self-installed in seconds. Once the bracket is in place, a custom designed holder is attached to provide a perfect fit for the Apple iPod.” ProClip holders for 10, 15 and 30GB iPod are available for $34.95 and cost for mounts vary depending on model.

« New XtremeMac iPod Deluxe case announced

VAJA Outlet sells cases at 50% off »

Comments

this looks way cheap (i’m not talking about the price)! anyone gettin this??

Posted by dan on September 2, 2003 at 3:34 PM (PDT)

I would agree with you there. Also, what does the vent blowing onto the iPod do to the electronics inside? I am cranking my A/C all the time (Phoenix, AZ), wouldn’t you think that some condensation inside the iPod may occur? How about heat?

Posted by Bademeister on September 2, 2003 at 4:00 PM (PDT)

Not all vehicle installations place the mount in front of an air vent. And, in many cases, there is more than one install location option for each vehicle. In my case, a Mazda Miata, there are two locations, neither of which are near an air vent.

So far, at least to the best of my knowledge, this is the first iPod specific mounting system that’s been released for 3G iPods. Well, unless you count that Belkin/Beetle cup holder fugly device.

Macman.

Posted by Macman on September 2, 2003 at 4:40 PM (PDT)

Bah… forget silly specialized iPod car mounts.

I got a little adhesive universal clip mount for my car for $3 from radioshack.  And I don’t have to take my iPod in and out of the case like I do for these expensive, ugly mounts (and the belkin, et. al).  Just unclip from my belt, and slip into this thing:

I call it my “el cheapo” car setup.  wink

Posted by Jerrod H. in TX on September 2, 2003 at 5:53 PM (PDT)

What a ripoff, the whole setup costs about $60!

Posted by Locke on September 2, 2003 at 5:56 PM (PDT)

i got news for you…..it probably costs about 2 dollars to mass produce these ugly plastic things. just buy yourself a nice looking heavy duty case and just drop it anywhere…pick a cup holder.

Posted by Jaguares in Bay Area, Ca on September 2, 2003 at 7:57 PM (PDT)

I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to block one of my AC vents, and I don’t want cold air blowing on my iPod!

I went to Radio Shack and got their Catalog #: 17-531 Universal Gripmatic Wireless Phone Holder. It comes with that great 3M adhesive that holds really well, or you can use a couple of screws. Find a clear spot on your dash, and you are in business. It is adjustable, so if you aren’t using your iPod (the horror!), you can use it to hold your cell phone or PDA. The gap at the bottom of the holder is large enough to work with the new iPod dock cable.

At $21, its also a better deal!

Posted by iTodd on September 3, 2003 at 4:57 AM (PDT)

I thought it looked like a good solution.

I have to return a first generation iPod connection kit I got that was like 80 bucks Canadian (I have a 3G) and thought this would be the perfect use of that money.

Apparently no one else here would agree with me on that though…

Posted by Agentkow on September 3, 2003 at 6:37 AM (PDT)

You guys are not mentioning the heater blowing come Winter.  That is the first thing I thought,  cold is better for the iPod and most computer devices than heat is…

Posted by Merlin87 in Alabama on September 3, 2003 at 1:38 PM (PDT)

It`s more than a plastic piece, it has a tilt swivel function, no screws, no duct tape and a perfect fit.
The dash board mounts are designed to have a perfect airflow going out in the car (if the design and mount are covering parts of the vent) Each unit is specially made for each brand/model and year of a car. Why should you put a cheap universal mount (that does not work) in an exspensive car?

Posted by peder blohm on September 4, 2003 at 10:11 AM (PDT)

Just got one for my new Honda Element. I’m so glad I didn’t drill holes before I found this. Yes, they are expensive,  BUT, my Ipod sits right to the right of my steering wheel, now. I can operate the Ipod while driving and be able to see the road. I don’t have it flying across the car in case of sudden stops. I don’t have it taking up room in a cup holder. I don’t have my $500.00 Ipod hanging from some $2.00 3M tape mount that will fall off in about a week. I highly recommend this for your Ipod. There is not a better mount currently available. And though mine doesn’t sit in front of an airvent, I’m sure that the volume of air going through your vents is not going to go through the 1/4”+ of plastic between the Ipod and the back of the holder. I’m so glad everyone is so cautious with their Ipods, even though it is ill-founded logic. I’m also glad you paid $400-$500 for your Ipod but baulk at a $60.00 clip. Reminds me of seeing a guy with a Land Rover with a $150.00 Huffy bike on the back.

Posted by robin on September 6, 2003 at 5:26 PM (PDT)

The ProClip system is very well thought-out and uses a variety of mounting points - not just the vent clip. They hold everything from cell phones, to PDAs, to video monitors, to .... iPods.  BTW I’m just a satisfied customer

Posted by GSP on September 8, 2003 at 3:48 PM (PDT)