ProClip unveils Tilt-Swivel Holder for iPhone 3G | iLounge News

ProClip unveils Tilt-Swivel Holder for iPhone 3G

image

ProClip has announced its new Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for the iPhone 3G. Designed for use with the company’s vehicle mounts, the holder offers a pass-through connector on the bottom for attachment of dock-connecting cables, creating a docking station for the iPhone 3G and removing the need to plug and unplug the cable each time it’s connected. The holder can also swivel 360 degrees and tilt 15 degrees in any direction for optimal viewing. The ProClip Holder with Tilt Swivel and Pass-Through Connector for the iPhone 3G is available now and sells for $100.

AT&T bringing iPhone 3G to Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands Oct. 17 »

Comments

A lot of the old Car-iPod connectors charge using the Firewire portion of the dock connector.  Does this connector translate the firewire pin to the USB charging pin?

Posted by jim on September 30, 2008 at 2:03 PM (CDT)

$100 for an iPhone car-dock?  That’s highway robbery…

Posted by butter on September 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM (CDT)

@butter: Correction- that’s $100 for the device mount part of the car-dock.  The vehicle-specific mount portion will run you another $35 for the basic model.  Extra if you want to swap this holder between vehicles, etc.  And that doesn’t even include any cables (e.g. charger or audio cable for aux in on your stereo).

Posted by Dyvim on September 30, 2008 at 4:28 PM (CDT)

Wow, nearly $150 for a mount?  I like the idea but i’m gonna wait until its done by a another party for cheaper.

Posted by DjRags on September 30, 2008 at 5:26 PM (CDT)

Looks very nice. In fact this is exactly what I am looking for. However, at this price I will not be purchasing it. Drop the retail price down to $50 (or less) and consider it sold.

Posted by Scott on September 30, 2008 at 6:11 PM (CDT)

aGREED… I bought one of these tilt-swivel mounts for my first gen iPhone for 49.99 from the same company last year (not including the 29.99 for the vehicle mount). It’s a great product, but I won’t be paying that kind of money for one.

Posted by Dave on September 30, 2008 at 9:21 PM (CDT)

ProClip stuff is top-notch - I got a setup for my wife’s XM radio in her car and it is solid and flawless, best mounting system I’ve ever seen - but this is ridiculously expensive (twice what the XM mount cost, total.)  I may be wrong, but it also appears that this unit will not work with Iphones in a case, which is, frankly, totally stupid.  The Iphone works just fine in regular Ipod holders.  Besides the pass-through, I don’t see what is so beneficial about this over other, more flexible mounts (including the “padded adjustable mount” sold by ProClip themselves.)

Posted by Tom on October 1, 2008 at 1:58 PM (CDT)

Proclip is providing a solution for us.

At the price they are asking I will have to pass and wait and seen what griffin or belking comes out with. Hopefuly griffing and belking will provide a more cost effective solution.

If the mount was included with the holder at the $100 price point I wouldn’t toss it off the table.

Posted by scott carroll on October 1, 2008 at 6:43 PM (CDT)

I bought one of these on eBay from the first2save store for $62 shipped from the UK to the US.  They appear to be out of stock now but that’s still a much better deal.

Posted by Michael on October 1, 2008 at 11:25 PM (CDT)

They do have much cheaper solutions.  I think iPhone solutions (device & vehicle mounts) start at $65.  If you want the tilt-swivel (probably a good call) then it’s $75.  But that’s still a lot less than $135.  A $60 premium just for the pass-through dock connector (you still have to bring your own cables and still have unsightly cables hanging down from the mount) isn’t worth it to me- I would just plug in my charger and audio cables when needed.  I’m considering the $75 solution for my iPhone 3G and Prius- would be nice to have Google Maps and GPS up and visible (and the phone charging) for drives to parts unknown.

Posted by Dyvim on October 3, 2008 at 3:03 PM (CDT)

In addition to this mount, ProClip makes an adjustable mount that works well with cases.  If the sides are adjusted closely together, the bare phone sits in, but is not held securely.  I have a Griffin Elan Form case for my iPhone that fits will when adjusted to the appropriate width.
This proClip mount does not have the pass through for a connector, but I’m using the Kensington LiquidAux version without the mount for my charging and audio connection, which prevents from having a secondary audio cord dangling around the mount.  This mount should work well for most cases.

My complete set up is:
ProClip vehicle mount
ProClip #875214 Adjustable Holder with Tilt Swivel ($45+s&h;).  Ram Mount arm between the proclip mounts for additional height
Kensington Liquid Aux for Iphone and Ipod

It isn’t a cheap setup, but it works well for me.

Posted by Laura on October 3, 2008 at 3:49 PM (CDT)