Professor Bull studies the iPod | iLounge News

Professor Bull studies the iPod

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Wednesday, February 25, 2004
News Categories: iPod

“Lecturer Dr. Michael Bull is “the world’s leading—perhaps only—expert on the social impact of personal stereo devices,” according to The New York Times. [...]

Now Bull has turned his attention to Apple’s iPod.

Bull is currently interviewing iPod owners about how, when, where and why they use the iPod, and how it integrates into their everyday lives.”

« iPod ads “focus on a very narrow market”

Mac|Windows: iPod mini 1.0 Software Released »

Comments

For “the world’s leading expert on the social impact of personal stereo devices”, it sure took him long enough to notice the iPod!

Posted by Adrian on February 25, 2004 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

Uh, no it’s not!!!

“It’s better than listening to the stereo in a car….”

Posted by Margk on February 25, 2004 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

bravo!

I love the last paragraph of this interview.  People often complain that listening to portable music devices makes you anti-social, but I rarely see anyone being social with strangers where I go.  For example, I take the bus to campus every day, and I NEVER see anyone talk to each other unless they already know each other.  I see the same people too, so their chances of making social connections should be higher.  I would even wager, that if I offered them something to listen to, they’d take it in a heart beat.

Life, as with movies, is much more engaging with music.  Where the mood would be mechanical without it, it becomes spiritual and that more enjoyable.

Posted by dave on February 25, 2004 at 10:42 AM (PDT)

am i the only one thinking about “Night Court”?

Posted by Breathe on February 25, 2004 at 11:07 AM (PDT)

The study is utter bull. smile

Posted by Agent Orange on February 25, 2004 at 12:31 PM (PDT)

that was pretty cool. i liked a lot of the things he had to say. im amazed he’s able to make a living doing studies like that, though,

Posted by ness on February 25, 2004 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Is it just me, or there some ESL action happening here? Wonder where he’s originally from.

>> “It’s better than listening to the stereo in a car….”
> Uh, no it’s not!!!

Uh, yeah it is!!!

May not be as big an ego trip as yer BIG 18s tHuMPin’ MAdD BAsS fOR aLL the niGGaZZz in da ‘hOOD to PeeP, but acoustically the car is about the worst place in which to listen to music, second only to a Swedish Flying Midget Circus, complete with Ricolaesque guys in chaps blowing 7’ horns.

Anyway, his point was isolation - music in the car didn’t isolate you any more from the outside world - you were already in a car. But when you’re out walking, rubbing shoulders with other people, to be aurally unaware of the world is a big change in social behavior.

Posted by Mortimer on February 25, 2004 at 2:50 PM (PDT)

A really good read. I agree with everything he said… One point that interests me in particular is the part where he mentions the way people use music in order to avoid thought. Sometimes I do this (if my thoughts are unpleasant and I can’t seem to think of something else), but often I am actively listening to the music, yet my thoughts will wander and I will be unaware of the music, and once I’ve sort of come back from my thoughts and am aware of the music again, I sometimes feel annoyed because I was too busy thinking while a couple of my favorite songs went past. wink

Posted by monkedsel on February 25, 2004 at 3:54 PM (PDT)

“Bull is especially keen to hear from women on the subject, and has put out a call for female interviewees.”

Two words…BOOTY CALL!!!

Posted by Attack Dog on February 25, 2004 at 4:49 PM (PDT)