Quest for the Best iPhone App Contest winners announced
iLounge is pleased to announce the winners of our Quest for the Best iPhone App Contest, which gave developers the opportunity to spotlight new iPhone and iPod touch software in three separate categories: Games, Business/Productivity/Professional, and “Just Plain Cool.” We selected three winners, one per category; each will receive a Bowers & Wilkins Zeppelin iPod Speaker System (retail value: $599), provided by B&W, along with a $100 Apple Store Gift Card courtesy of iLounge. Continue reading to see the contest winners.
With solid controls, a variety of game modes, and nearly endless customization via direct downloads, Shanghai Mahjong ($5) came away the winner in our Games category. This impressive tile-matching game lets novice players enjoy a simple alphabet matching version, while advanced players can use more subtle or unusual tiles; many puzzles and background graphics can be selected as well. We hope that future iPhone and iPod touch titles will take a page from MobileAge’s book and offer so many user-selectable options.
In our Business/Productivity/Professional category, we selected an application that everyone can use in their daily lives to make smarter purchasing decisions. Save Benjis, a free application, lets you research and compare pricing for over 15 million products right from your iPhone and iPod touch, and even allows purchasing directly from the app. Over one thousand stores are indexed by the program at present, and you can search for items using names, keywords, and UPC codes. The results aren’t always perfect, but they’re very nicely displayed and more convenient than running multiple Safari searches on your own. We hope to see this app become even better in the future, but as-is, it does a very impressive job.
Finally, our Just Plain Cool category winner was a game that really showed off the iPhone’s audiovisual hardware, suggesting just how powerful future 3-D titles will be on Apple’s pocket platforms. A mixture of good graphics, straightforward gameplay, and just a hint of Road Rash-style fisticuff action gave Freeverse’s Moto Racer ($10) the edge on its many submitted competitors; it’s hard not to look at this game and be impressed by just how much iPhone developers can accomplish in the first generation of software.
In addition to the winning applications, there were plenty of other great submissions ranging from games to complex task management applications, which can be found in our iPhone Application Gallery. Congratulations to all the winners, and thanks to all the developers who entered!
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, sign up now
- Happy Labor Day from iLounge
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, last chance for August giveaway
- Video Review: Otterbox Agility Tablet System
- iLounge Weekly coming Monday, July giveaway reminder
- Happy Independence Day from iLounge!
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Video First Look: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus support 2.1A charging, ship with 1A adapters
- iPhone 6, 6 Plus unboxing and comparison gallery posted
- iFixit posts teardowns of iPhone 6, 6 Plus
- Apps of the Week: Epic Zen Garden, OmniFocus, Evernote, Pocket + more
- Apple and U2 working on ‘secret project’ to boost music sales
- Apple launches new privacy webpage
- Apple HealthKit not ready for prime time? (Update: Yes)
- First-party Apple apps updated en masse for iOS 8
- Logitech debuts Harmony Living Home line
- Spigen F70Q 7000mAh Dual Portable Quick Charger
- Apple Inc. iOS 8
- ZeroChroma Folio-Slide for iPad mini
- Zoom iQ6 XY Stereo Microphone for iPhone + iPad
- Bowers & Wilkins P5 Series 2 headphones
- Logitech Bluetooth Multi-Device Keyboard K480
- Cambridge Audio Bluetone 100 Bluetooth Speaker
- Cambridge Audio Go V2 Portable Bluetooth Speaker
- Soundfreaq Double Spot SFQ-09 Wireless Speaker
- iHome iBN6 Waterproof Bluetooth Speaker
- Instant Expert: Secrets & Features of iOS 8.0
- Multi-Editorial: On Apple’s iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus + Apple Watch
- What’s New In Apple TV 7.0
- What’s New in iTunes 12
- iLounge Picks: Five Great Summer Party Speakers
- Editorial: Endings And Beginnings
- Live From CE Week 2014: Brand New iPad, iPhone + Mac Accessories!
- What’s New In iOS 8 For iPad, iPhone + iPod touch
- iLounge Multi-Editorial: WWDC 2014’s iOS 8, OS X Yosemite + More
- The Complete Guide to Apple TV Channels