Questions linger following iPhone OS 3.0 event | iLounge News

Questions linger following iPhone OS 3.0 event

Despite the large number of user requests that were answered in Apple’s preview of iPhone OS 3.0, there remain several unresolved issues.

Adobe Flash support: When asked what Apple was doing in regards to Adobe Flash support on the iPhone, the company’s trio of executives danced around the question, stating that they had nothing to announce today, and going on to talk about the expanded video and audio support in iPhone OS 3.0. Apple’s true intentions regarding Flash support remain unclear, although if today’s event and subsequent Q&A session are any indication, it’s not a high priority at this time.

App Store acceptance policies: While Apple touted the large number of applications available on the App Store, the strong developer response, and the expanded range of APIs developers will have access to, it said little to shed light on the semi-mysterious App Store acceptance policies. In response to the lone question asked on the topic, Apple Senior VP of worldwide marketing Phil Schiller said, “96% [of submitted apps] are approved, but there are things we have to watch out for. There have been issues, issues about content that’s available to children for instance. But at the end of the day, we have a great solution that’s working, and we’re constantly making it better.”

iPhone/iPod touch hardware limitations: In announcing iPhone OS 3.0’s summer launch date, Greg Joswiak indicated that some of the new features would be limited to certain hardware, saying, “For instance, A2DP and MMS won’t be available on the iPhone 1st gen.” However, he did not elaborate on exactly which features would be available for which devices, leaving users to wonder as to what features their device will support.

Display Technology changes: Also absent from today’s announcement was any talk of display technology changes. As mentioned prior to the event , the iPhone OS’ user interface is currently optimized for devices with 480x320 resolution displays. Any change in this resolution, whether to go larger or smaller, would require a lot of work for developers, and as this was not brought up during the event, it appears unlikely that Apple plans to release a higher-resolution iPhone or iPhone OS-based device anytime soon.

Dock Connector and Wireless Keyboard and Controller Support: Even in response to a direct question regarding keyboard support in iPhone OS 3.0, Apple was unwilling to commit to certain specific Dock Connector and wireless devices that would be able to interface with the iPhone and iPod touch using iPhone OS 3.0. Examples of devices that could work included diabetes glucose testers, FM transmitters, and speakers, however, the company declined to say that a human interface device (HID) driver would be available for use by iPhone applications and games.

« First live iPhone 3.0 screenshots posted from iPod touch 2G, updated with iPhone 3G, iTunes 8.1

Apple: Bluetooth to be unlocked in iPod touch 2G »

Comments

I can not find anything about voice dialing. Does any one know if this is going to happen? This app. is very important for safe driving!    Thanks

Posted by Mert Elman on March 17, 2009 at 5:34 PM (CDT)

Why oh why won’t they make flash support a priority?!!!??

Posted by k on March 17, 2009 at 6:34 PM (CDT)

When does it come out? Doesn’t say on Apple’s website, and I couldn’t find it here on iLounge. Did they mention that?
I’ll watch it after work today, but would love to plug it in and download if it is out this afternoon!

Thanks,

Posted by Curtis on March 17, 2009 at 6:54 PM (CDT)

Mert,

There is already a very useful voice dialing app called SayWho that allows you to dial.  It’s also free.

-A.

Posted by Adam on March 17, 2009 at 8:27 PM (CDT)

While all the upgrdaes are good, it hasn’t addresses the two things I wanted most:
* Customise your theme - I’ve only hand my iPhone for 6 or 8 weeks, but I couldn’t believe it when I found out you can’t change Menu background colours, icon sizes, etc without ‘jailbreaking’. This is something I’ve been able to do with my 4 previous phones for the last 8 years, so I would have thought it was relatively simple. I also thought the option to sell specialty themes in the app store would have made this something of a priority?
* Video Recording. Again, seems like a pretty basic thing to have? Given the camera shows you streaming footage if you try to take a phot of a moving object, recording what’s showing on the screen shouldn’t be that hard?

Posted by Tyler on March 17, 2009 at 11:03 PM (CDT)

I’m tired of having 9 pages of apps. I was looking forward to redesigned home screens turned into categories with pages in them.

Posted by CW on March 17, 2009 at 11:29 PM (CDT)

K,
I would imagine, (and really it’s just that, “imagine”, as I have no educated idea), that the reason for the lack of Flash support is similar to the lack of background app support. It’s all about battery performance.
Even as I type this I’m watching two ads on iLounge do their little “dah-dah-dah-dah”, Vegas dance. Such things suck down power on a device like the iPhone.
Of course, that still doesn’t explain why they don’t allow Flash based on user permission with the caveat that it will diminish battery performance…

Posted by MirandaKali on March 18, 2009 at 12:48 AM (CDT)

#3 - They said it will release in June.

My assumption that it will release to coincide with the new iPhone release. I just hope they let previous iphone users upgrade weeks earlier so we don’t have the catastrophe as last year.

Posted by Ryan on March 18, 2009 at 7:54 AM (CDT)

While a lot of features introduced were super-needed and will make life much easier with 3.0, I’m still missing an “active screen” showing a summary of today’s activities and to dos while the phone is in the default resting state.

Posted by Peter on March 18, 2009 at 12:31 PM (CDT)

And still no native support for synchronizing To Do’s or Notes? Ridiculous.

Posted by Herr Doktor on March 18, 2009 at 1:13 PM (CDT)

I guess I’m still in the minority…I haven’t yet found a need for copy/paste on my iPhone (I even installed Clippy from Cydia just to see if I’d ever use it, and after a month finally uninstalled it) or especially Flash.  I get that Flash is needed for some sites to view videos, but the other 99% of Flash on the web is just ads and I’m happy with fewer ads.

I’m infinitely more excited about A2DP than most of the other announcements.

Posted by Tony Karakashian on March 18, 2009 at 2:53 PM (CDT)

Regarding Flash, I believe apple wants to make the best product possible. Currently the processor in the 3g Iphone does not have sufficient power to run many flash websites. I believe the new Iphone will support flash because it should have a faster processor. Same with video recording, I’m sure they can have video recording in the current iphone, but customers would be dissatisfied with the quality.

Posted by Ray on March 19, 2009 at 1:29 PM (CDT)

when does the new bluetooth softwear come out

Posted by adam on April 9, 2009 at 10:00 PM (CDT)

“Regarding Flash, I believe apple wants to make the best product possible. Currently the processor in the 3g Iphone does not have sufficient power to run many flash websites” Sorry buddy, but you are plain wrong here, flash runs just fine on slower hardware in the winMo world. There is no reason why it cannot be implemented by Apple. Apple does not want flash on the iPhone for one reason and one reason only. Flash Apps and Games would directly compete with the app store. For this reason you will not see flash on the iPhone until they absolutely have too. (which probably won’t be for a while as the iPhone is still leaps and bounds ahead of other phones, except of course for flash).

Posted by bahahah on August 14, 2009 at 2:27 PM (CDT)