QuikMount in-car mount for iPod released | iLounge News

QuikMount in-car mount for iPod released

picQuikMount.com announced the QuikMount car solution for 3rd and 4th generation iPods with docks. QuikMount attaches without tools to an automobile’s dashboard or console. It uses the iPod’s dock with line out connectivity for the best possible sound. The patent-pending QuikMount is constructed of solid steel, and is available in white. A bracket, also made of steel, is required for console mounting. The bracket is available in black (so as to be less visible). QuikMount costs $54.95; the Bracket costs $12.95.

« HP Tunes links iTunes to XP Media Center

Happy 3rd Birthday iPod »

Comments

just so everyone is aware, and they don’t go spending money on this…

the ipod is perfectly secure in the apple dock without any extra aparatus to hold it in place.

my car install has been holding my ipod just fine for 6 months now:  http://www.ipodlounge.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31933

Posted by StinkieDMB in Pittsburgh, PA on October 24, 2004 at 10:26 AM (PDT)

now, ON topic… it’s nice that they offer this in white.. but how many cars have snow-white interiors? Give me one that’ll blend in, either so the ipod stands out on its own, or so a black ipod or ipod in a black case will blend in, too.

Posted by JC on October 24, 2004 at 12:11 PM (PDT)

actual photographs of the product would be a nice touch, dont you think?  this does seem like a pretty cool product though, but for 55 dollars? and you have to supply the dock? seems a bit steep for me.

Posted by bhoward43 on October 24, 2004 at 3:09 PM (PDT)

yeah, some photos of the product would be nice. make it look like there actually is a product to buy.
i’m a little worried that the steel construction would scratch and ruin the ipod.

Posted by Harrison in Melbourne, Australia on October 24, 2004 at 3:45 PM (PDT)

I’d give them $14.95, but that’s it.  $55… What are they smoking?

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on October 24, 2004 at 4:52 PM (PDT)

I agree.  Stamped steel for $55?  C’mon.  I, too, have been using just the dock in my car without any problems.  This is not really price-gouging, since there are other products on the market, but it seems like companies keep spewing out stupid, expensive products without any real thought about what ipod owners are looking for.  Something like a dock, probably in black to match most car interiors, that holds the ipod better than just the dock, and has charging and line-out capability.

Posted by wondertoad on October 24, 2004 at 6:28 PM (PDT)

they need to price it high to be able to do something about that site…

Posted by j-tizzle on October 24, 2004 at 6:30 PM (PDT)

Sounds like an interesting idea but illustrations are weak. Anyone spending over $50 on a product should be able to see photos of what it actually looks like.

And, I second what Squitiere said about the dock holding the iPod fine in a car. Works perfectly for me too. My pics are at G35iPod.com

Posted by kloh on October 24, 2004 at 7:28 PM (PDT)

I still do not understand why no one makes a “larger and adjustable” dock to use the iPod in the car (or elsewhere) without taking it out of a case!

All specs fit the iPod beautifully with no case.  Fine and well, but cases are designed to hold the iPod and protect it.

Cars are volatile environments—spills, drops, etc can ruin the finish while being naked in a car.

Posted by mflat5 in USA on October 25, 2004 at 6:15 AM (PDT)

i WISH i COULD DRAW LIKE THAT!

Posted by sAM on October 25, 2004 at 6:16 AM (PDT)

Boy, talk about a cheezy website…backordered, and shipping in 21 days…yeah, right.

I’ve been looking for a mobile mounting solution for some time, but I’ve got to say that this QuikMount system ain’t it, even IF it’s legit (which is something I’m doubting right about now after the visit to their site). I’ve often wondered if the standard dock alone held a 3G/4G well enough without the iPod flinging itself across the cabin, especially given the way I tend to toss and late brake a car into a corner; sounds like it just might be.

Assuming this thing is real and not just some exercise in sketching and CAD drafting, the QuikMount assembly may hold an unsheathed iPod well enough, but since both my 3G and 4G travel nowhere without at least a Speck skin on them, this mounting solution is unquestionably non-workable.  Plus from the diagrams on their website, what holds the mount in place on a dash or console surface?  Double-stick tape?  How lowball is that?  And for a princely sum of $55, at that.

PASS.

Posted by flatliner on October 25, 2004 at 12:25 PM (PDT)

JC says: “Of course, what I really want is a head unit I can plug my ipod into like an 8-track or cassette tape, with a nice touchscreen to emulate the ipod controls.”

Yes, yes, YES. This is such a no-brainer that you’re the third person I’ve heard say this, completely independent of one another. What’s the holdup? It’s a perfect solution: a standard-height head unit with a big ol’ slot in the front for popping your ‘Pod into. Alpine! I’m talking to you, people. Get on this idea pronto.

-j.

Posted by Joe on October 25, 2004 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

I don’t know what to think about it. How hard can it be to put pictures of a real one online? The domain name has only been registered since October 12th and under a personal name .... let alone the site made with Yahoo site builder.

The thing that gets me is, why do they not charge tax period? They appear to be from Oregon, don’t the people in that state have to pay taxes? Hope the IRS doesn’t find this site!

Oh, they are all on backorder due to “demand” ... 21 days! I CAN’T WAIT THAT LONG! wink

okay enuf of that

Posted by maxrebo on October 25, 2004 at 4:04 PM (PDT)

i agree with the people saying the dock keeps the ipod secure enough.  i used the dock in my car and it only fell out when i’d hit REALLY bad speed bumps when i forgot to slow down.  this thing is quite the rip off.  and 13 bucks for a mounting bracket.  gimme a break.

Posted by dave on October 25, 2004 at 7:03 PM (PDT)

and i’m guessing they don’t have any real pictures because they’re waiting to see if people actually want it before going into production.  backordered?  ha!

Posted by dave on October 25, 2004 at 7:05 PM (PDT)

I mounted the dock in my car and it holds the ipod well enough that is has never fallen out.  But I would like it to be more sturdy so that pressing a button does not cause it to tip at all.  Also, I shudder think what all of these loose items would do as projectiles in a collision.

Oh, and by the way, there is no sales tax in Oregon, so at least that part is legit…

Posted by wondertoad on October 26, 2004 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

Anyone notice the copyright at the bottom? It is “Copyright © 2004 iCradle, Inc. All rights reserved.”

iCradle is a product by Pacific Rim Technologies, not a company ... last time I checked.

Since OR doesn’t charge tax, would it be cheaper to drive there and by an iPod to save on tax? heh

Posted by maxrebo on October 26, 2004 at 4:51 PM (PDT)