Radio Shack to offer $50 iPhone discount Dec 4-11? | iLounge News

Radio Shack to offer $50 iPhone discount Dec 4-11?

image

Radio Shack has announced that it will be offering a $50 discount on all iPhone models beginning tomorrow, December 4, according to a new report. Boy Genius Report claims that the promotion applies to brand new devices, not refurbished units, and that interested parties need only be eligible for a new two-year agreement. Notably, the discount brings the price of the 8GB iPhone 3GS down to $50, while 16GB and 32GB iPhone 4s will cost $150 and $250, respectively. The promotion is said to run through December 11.

« Mili debuts Power Pack for iPhone 4

EA exec: Apple would have ‘good chance’ in console market »

Comments

They also take trade-ins. I traded in my 3G for $75 which means an iPhone 4 upgrade cost me $75 ($200-$50-$75=$75). I traded today.

Posted by ben on December 4, 2010 at 10:57 PM (CST)

Yeah my wife just did it… no problem.  16gb iPhone4 for $75 with discount and trade in.  Can’t beat that.  The only thing is Radio Shacks don’t carry a big supply of iPhone4 so we called a few stores before we found one that had one… and they only had one.

Posted by Scott on December 5, 2010 at 2:54 PM (CST)

Actually, you can beat that. 3G iPhones are selling for $150-$200 on ebay, while 3GS iPhones will get you $250-300. Even without a discount, ebay is better. Why pay $75 for an iPhone 4 with trade in when it can be free…or even profitable.

Posted by Jeff on December 5, 2010 at 5:40 PM (CST)

went to radio shack and got the new phone, some things you should be aware of is that the $50.00 discount is applied to your next ATT bill and the trade in value of your old phone is a radio shack gift certificate, you will still end up paying full price for the phone

Posted by jpmphones on December 5, 2010 at 9:04 PM (CST)

I just got the iPhone 4 today from RadioShack. I traded and upgraded my 3GS and contract for a value of $125 and only had to pay $25 for my iPhone 4. I think overall with AppleCare, a new case, & and screen protector I paid $130. I was was given the discount at the store; I didn’t receive any giftcard or have to pay whole price for it.

Posted by Amber on December 5, 2010 at 11:25 PM (CST)

I can’t speak to this $50 discount, but I traded my 3GS phone during the first week of the iPhone 4 release. I was given a $200 trade-in that was applied directly to the purchase on the new phone. No giftcard. In essence, Radio Shack paid ME $1 to take a new phone ($200 trade-in on a $199 phone). I paid taxes only.

I will look at the eBay route for my wifes phone. She will be upgrade eligible in Feb. If the prices have fallen off, I will just do the Radio Shack deal again. It was very quick and easy. I was impressed…and that is a rarity!

Posted by Mitch on December 6, 2010 at 8:47 AM (CST)

You can upgrade, if eligible through AT&T, by trading in your current 3Gs iPhone for a new iPhone 4 for $25 (after all the discounts). But, they also add tax. Not the sales tax of the $25 discounted iPhone, but the sale tax of the iPhone’s retail price, which is $599. That’s $58.40 (9.75% in my area). So the bottom line is that, if you’re eligible, you can get the 16GB iPhone 4, by trading in your 3Gs (in good condition), with a new two-year contract, for about $83. Still a pretty good deal. Just wish some of these news reports would mention this tax of the retail price. It’s good to know the WHOLE truth on so-called “good deals”.

Posted by PRJ on December 6, 2010 at 5:54 PM (CST)

Well PRJ, that $25 iPhone you reference is not the advertised “good deal”. That is the the difference between your store credit and the total price of a normally priced upgrade. So, you are paying the full price (upgrade price…not the $599 out-of-contract price) of the phone. Just $200 of that comes from what you just sold your old phone for. Therefore, the taxes are exactly correct. The taxes I paid on the $199 upgrade price was about $10 (5% where I am). Not 5% of $599 in any way.

Posted by Mitch on December 6, 2010 at 6:32 PM (CST)

Me and my dad went to RadioShack yesterday and we decided to get iPhone 4’s. They were all out of 32 GB’s so he got the last 16 GB and the shipment of more 32 GB’s come in tomorrow.

Posted by Josh C. on December 6, 2010 at 10:37 PM (CST)

I went to the “Shack” yesterday 05/06/10 not only were they “out” of all of the Iphones, but they could not even order one as all of their warehouses were out of stock. In addition a $48.00/mo 2yr data plan
was required. I tried visiting an A T & T store as suggested by another site to see if they would match the Shack’s price they laughed me out of the store. It’s a gift for my son so I’ll probably bite the bullet and order online.

Posted by BballDad on December 7, 2010 at 10:19 PM (CST)