RadTech debuts PodSleevz for iPod photo | iLounge News

RadTech debuts PodSleevz for iPod photo

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Friday, December 3, 2004
News Categories: iPod Accessories

picRadTech has announced a new version of its PodSleevz for Apple’s iPod photo. Made from 0.8mm Optex, the form-fitting sleeve case protects the iPod from scratching and abrasion, while adding minimal bulk to the player. The sleeve features a debossed control area that allows the iPod to be played directly through the case, a clear protective display covering, and full access to all ports. The PodSleevz are available immediately in six colors for $19.95.

« iPod unit sales up 370 percent in 2004; 4.4 million sold

Windows: iPod Access 1.1 released »

Comments

I bought one of these Sleevz for my 15 gig 3rd gen ........ it is by far the ugliest iPod “case” I’ve ever seen…... it never made it past the trash can.

Posted by miketex on December 3, 2004 at 8:20 AM (PDT)

I really like the look AND feel of mine. Others like it too (subjective of course). I got the gray.

I don’t think this is truly new though… they’ve all along been selling the 4G 40 GB sleeve to Photo users, and that’s all they seem to be doing now. The measurements they give in mm are for all 40-60 iPods.

But they’re right, it does fit perfectly! I got mine two weeks ago for my Photo.

Nothing else out there met my needs. It’s thin and doesn’t add bulk, yet strong and very soft on the iPod. It’s tight enough never to slip off by accident, but also not hard to get out. It protects the screen but still lets you see it—and allows access to all ports (even the docking port—but only via cable).

Best of all, the thin wheel area really works! You can use the controls through the case perfectly. I even like the feel of the fabric for scrolling. What other case protects your WHEEL while in use? Only some stickers do that.

In short, it’s the best of both sleeve and skin, in one.

One complaint: scratches can appear (very faint, but there) from inserting/removing. I’d say this is LESS of a problem than with firm rubber sleeves—every case has a risk of scratching from grit inside—but still to be avoided. Some say it’s the stitching around the screen, but maybe it’s dirt trapped by the screen protector. I don’t know—but I recommend adding a PDA screen protector stuck to your iPod for peace of mind anyway.

Posted by Nagromme on December 3, 2004 at 10:32 AM (PDT)

I agree with Nagromme. I used podsleevz since I received my 4G. it worked like a charm. the only thing I dont like it is that the top of podsleevz gets wider after a period of time of usage.

Posted by frankthetank on December 3, 2004 at 11:16 AM (PDT)

These are so ugly!

Posted by rubychick13 in illinois on December 3, 2004 at 2:04 PM (PDT)

I too agree w/Nagromme & Frankthetank.  I just got my iPod photo 60GB Podsleevz yesterday (Indigo) and I was immediately “wowed” by the fit and functionality of it.  I too am going to add a piece of screen protector film to protect the screen from potential scratches.  I LOVE the fact that the wheel is so easy to use through the sleeve, as well as the fact that it’s a great & secure fit, but also easy to remove.  There’s absolutely no fighting to get the iPod in the sleeve or out of it.  Way to go Radtech!  This product is an A+ in my opinion.

If I had 2 wishes though, it would be that 1.) - the iPod, with the Podsleevz attached, could fit in the dock at the same time; and 2.) the wheel cover said “Menu” where the menu button is instead of the little “square” that’s there now…

Posted by redsoxnation in USA on December 4, 2004 at 6:14 AM (PDT)

redsoxnation:

I cut my dock cover so it fits the podsleevz. but it looks really bad..

Posted by frankthetank on December 4, 2004 at 11:41 AM (PDT)

It would be cool if Apple offered docks (or replacement top-faces) that allowed various skins to be used while in the dock. A bigger hole by say 3 mm all around.

Someone else is bound to!

Posted by Nagromme on December 6, 2004 at 10:24 AM (PDT)