RadTech rolls out new iPod gear | iLounge News

RadTech rolls out new iPod gear

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, January 12, 2006
News Categories: iPod Accessories

RadTech has announced several new iPod products, including new cases, cables and chargers. All of the accessories are available immediately.

image

Sleevz Case for 5G iPod and iPod nano
RadTech’s play-through Optex sleeve case is now available for the 5G iPod ($21) and iPod nano ($15). The sleeve provides access to all ports, complete control through the sleeve and offers a clear screen protector. It comes in black, gray, blue, purple, light purple and red.

Acclaro Transparent Acrylic Clamshell Case
The Acclaro is a transparent acrylic clamshell-style protective case for the 5G iPod and iPod nano. The $20 case fully covers the iPod’s display, and includes a neck lanyard and quick-release belt clip with the 5G model, and removable neck and wrist lanyards with the nano model.

ClearCal Transparent Mylar Protective Panels
A pair of ultra-thin and protective Mylar panels to protect the 5G iPod and iPod nano. Priced at $7, the ClearCal uses adhesive that leaves no residue on an iPod and can be reused several times.

Gelz Economy Silicone Case
The form-fitting silicone case is available for 4G/5G iPods, iPod minis and iPod nanos. “Colorful, rugged, stylish and durable for long-lasting protection of your iPod’s elegant finish.” The Gelz case comes in blue, green, white, pink and yellow, with belt-clip lanyard and armband options available for most.

Cables & Connectivity for iPod
RadTech is now offering an inexpensive line of electronic iPod accessories—the RetractCable iPod Dock Connector ($10), the RetractCable Earbuds ($8), the AutoPower ($8) in-car charger, and the CarConnection ($10) cassette player adapter.

« XtremeMac’s MicroPack extends iPod playback time

$1 billion worth of iPod accessories sold during holidays »

Comments

At the risk of being branded as a plant by RadTech, I still have to state that their Optex sleeve case is one of the best after market items for an iPod.
It does exactly what it’s supposed to do, without taking away from the compactness of the unit.
My previous iPods are all in out-of-the-box condition, thanks to their microfibre cases.
Of course, if you’re prone to trashing things, by dropping, etc. the Optex won’t be of any use, but if you want to protect the finish, and even use the case as a polishing cloth, then it’s really money well spent.
I have a box full of iPod cases from other sellers, and they’re all useless to me; too bulky, too difficult to slide the iPod in and out, lint magnets, and many of them contribute to actually scratching the unit.
Try Optex - it works.

Posted by Congo Billy on January 12, 2006 at 4:12 PM (PDT)

My friend just got one of the cloth sleeves for his ipod.  It actually is nicer than i thought it would have been. It is nice to have the click wheel and screen covered.  I think the bottom or top (one or the other) is not covered at all, but im not sure which.  I would have gotten the case, but it didn’t offer a belt clip.  Aside from that, this case was definitely my second choice.

Posted by Ted on January 12, 2006 at 4:35 PM (PDT)

Anyone have any opinons/experience on the ClearCal? $7 is very reasonable price, but i’m just wondering how it’ll look on the ipod.

Also, is it really possible to make an adhesive which can be cleaned and reused?

Posted by bluestone on January 12, 2006 at 10:51 PM (PDT)

has anyone bought the Gelz for the iPod 5G? I’m trying to decide between RadTech and Capdase because Radtech is cheaper but the review for Capdase here at iLounge is really good…

Posted by Jeffrey on January 13, 2006 at 6:56 AM (PDT)

what about the acclario?  I’m curious about that product - thinking about getting it for my parents since they want something that they can use to hang the nano around their neck and have it protected too.  I know there’s a couple of other companies making similar cases (and griffin just announce they’re releasing a similar case), but from my experience Radtech makes good products so I hope this follows that trend.

Posted by Jimmy on January 13, 2006 at 10:46 AM (PDT)

Yeah that acclario is cool. But I bought the Crystal Elegance case from
Here It is the same case I think, and its only 12 bucks. I love it.

Posted by stephen on January 13, 2006 at 1:26 PM (PDT)

Very cool about the Optex sleeves. I would have bought one for my 4G 40gb offered by Kensington months ago, had they offered it any other color but the blue. Why do most electronic-related companies still believe that consumers want EVERY one of their tech products to be either white, beige, black, or blue?

Posted by mike on January 14, 2006 at 10:44 AM (PDT)

i like that the clearcal product is reasonably priced - c’mon, look at some of these sleeves/cases costing $24-$30… ya kiddin’ me? the iPod aftermarket is just ridiculously nuts. check out a local copy-shop or find a friend/compadre who has a laminator, and try rolling-yer-own ‘iPod clear protective film’ with transparent mylar (lamination-sleeve material) you cut to fit. figuring out the adhesive part is up to you, tho.

Posted by agent_monkey on February 8, 2006 at 12:44 AM (PDT)

I purchased the Sleevz case, the Ice Cream polishing kit and the clear overlays from Radtech.

The case is convenient in that it slips in and out of it easily.  I like how easily you can use the controls on the dial wheel.  I *don’t* like the plastic cover over the screen.  It is highly reflective and bubbles.  When I’m in my car, I can’t read the screen at all.  I would prefer that the screen cover was gone.  I would remove it myself, but I don’t want to damage the rest of the case.

The polishing kit takes time to get used to, but it DOES work.  Mine will take a few days to completely finish, but I can already see some of the scratches coming out.  The optix cloths it comes with can be used for anything and can be washed and reused.  VERY nice!

I haven’t applied my clear overlays on it yet, I am waiting to finish polishing first.  Once I do, I’ll let you guys know.

Posted by dantan98 on March 15, 2006 at 1:21 PM (PDT)