RapidRepair offers 240GB 5G iPod drive upgrade | iLounge News

RapidRepair offers 240GB 5G iPod drive upgrade

By Charles Starrett

Contributing Editor
Published: Wednesday, February 4, 2009
News Categories: iPod

image

RapidRepair has posted a page touting a 240GB hard drive upgrade for the fifth-generation iPod. According to the product page for the Toshiba 240GB MK2431GAH 8mm, the drive will only function correctly in fifth-generation iPod units, and not the iPod classic, due to the fact that it is a two-platter drive — the latter model is currently only able to see one of the drive platters. Pricing for the drive is not available and it is listed as out of stock, although RapidRepair is offering a “wait list” link for interested parties.

Update: The company is now accepting pre-orders for the drive, which is priced at $295 and will begin shipping in March. Owners of the 30GB fifth-generation iPod will be able to order a thicker backing along with the drive for an added $10.

« GPX unveils new iPod audio systems

Norway consumer advocate drops iTunes complaint »

Comments

More specifically, I would think it would have to be a 60 or 80GB 5th gen since the 30GB version was a single-platter drive (and it was thinner). Also, the Classic 160GB is a two-platter drive, so I wonder if the 250 would work (despite what is being stated by RapidRepair)? Not that a jump from 160 to 250 would be worth the expense, but if I ever need to replace my 160GB drive that’d be a nice upgrade.

ps How long ‘till someone questions the displayed capacity in the diagram wink

Posted by rockmyplimsoul on February 4, 2009 at 5:01 PM (PDT)

I would rather see a company work up an upgrade to make 64 gb ipod touch.

Posted by Dan on February 4, 2009 at 9:22 PM (PDT)

It is not exactly a waiting list, you will be charged in advance and hope you will get one fairly soon.

Posted by TulsaGent in Tulsa, OK, USA on February 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM (PDT)

The Classic 160GB has a different connector, so this drive will not work on that player.

The drive is basically a replacement for any player that uses an 8mm ZIF based drive.  I know the Toshiba Gigabeat S is another player that should be able to use this, as well as the v1 80GB Zune (untested of course, since the drive isn’t available yet - but the connectors / drive size should be the same).

Posted by roebeet on February 4, 2009 at 9:44 PM (PDT)

Without having properly researched the prices of similar hard drives, I must say that I’m sticker shocked by this price. I am a potential customer with an 60gb iPod Video that has a dead hard drive. I would love to fill it up with Apple Lossless quality songs. If it ever comes under 200 I’ll purchase it for sure. But its out of the question at $294.99

Posted by mknite on February 5, 2009 at 12:28 AM (PDT)

If you look at this company’s websites prices for other drives you will see that all of they’re prices are on the high side. I would suggest to wait a couple of months for other vendors to come out with this drive. Nothing like a little friendly competition.

Posted by marvelousmarvyd on February 5, 2009 at 2:08 PM (PDT)

I found another company selling the 240gb drive for under 200-

Posted by Jeremy on March 16, 2009 at 1:00 AM (PDT)

How hard is it to install the hard drive yourself?
Does anyone have experience?
And do you really need a new audio jack or else it will be a funny looking fit if you are doing it for a 30gb ipod 5.5g and changing the backplate to the bigger size?

Posted by Jeremy on March 16, 2009 at 1:01 AM (PDT)

Is there somewhere I can purchase a replacement drive for a 160gb ipod classic that ships to Australia???

Posted by Alison on April 18, 2009 at 10:56 AM (PDT)

Where did you find another company selling the 240gb drive for under 200?

Posted by egross on April 24, 2009 at 11:50 AM (PDT)