Reader report: 4G iPod and photos | iLounge News

Reader report: 4G iPod and photos

picReader Mike S. reports he has taken possession of a new 4G iPod 20GB from a Mayfair Apple Store in Wauwatosa, WI. “Well people, I just stopped by my local Apple store and they had 9 of these babies ready for a home. No 40GB yet, nor did they have the new Click Wheel iPod docks. Also, seems like Apple hasn’t updated their retail software though, because they couldn’t register my iPod when I bought it, so now I can just register it when I need service on the baby.” Mike also goes on to report a few things he’s noticed about the new 4G iPod.

• Now you can turn it off completely by holding the Play/Pause button.
  • Click Wheel is not backlit, but the screen has a white backlight.
  • Clicker sounds slightly different from my iPod 3G.
  • Click wheel is slightly stiffer than the iPod mini’s.
  • No dock port covers are included.
  • Seems my iPod was partially charged when I bought it. Only took me 1 hour and now it says it’s fully charged.
  • The games menu can now be added to the main menu, YAY! (I think this is new to 4G).
  • On-The-Go playlist can now be saved, when saved, a new playlist is created (NewPlaylist1, NewPlaylist2, etc.) and the songs are moved there, the OTG playlist is then cleared. Saving playlists actually took abut 5-10 seconds, which seemed a bit long for only 2 songs.
  • Songs can be deleted from the On-The-Go playlist by holding the middle button for about 3 seconds, same as adding a song.

« iPod Xtras announces specials on accessories

Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders »

Comments

does the speed up/slow down work for all songs or only just audiobooks?

Posted by iPodMaster on July 20, 2004 at 11:28 AM (PDT)

“Now you can turn it off completely by holding the Play/Pause button”

You could do this before (3G). Do you mean while docked?

Posted by starflyer on July 20, 2004 at 11:32 AM (PDT)

thanks for sending in the photos. Could you please add some more photos of the unit from different angles?

Posted by lucid on July 20, 2004 at 11:49 AM (PDT)

Cool. Is the clickwheel glossy like the 3G, or matte like the Mini?

I found the Mini’s matte wheel much easier: less “sticky” to slide around.

Posted by Nagromme on July 20, 2004 at 11:59 AM (PDT)

I miss the backlight on the buttons, it looks cheap this way…

Posted by Kristian on July 20, 2004 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

My 3G iPod lets me add “Games” to the main menu, and came half charged…

Starflyer…the 3G went into “sleep” mode, where it slowly drained the battery (a full charge lasts about a month of sleep time). The 4G apparently just turns off completly.

Posted by Tom on July 20, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

too bad the wheel doesn’t light up, that would’ve been really cool. I’m still gonna get a 4g 40gb and return my 3g 15gb anyway… I’ll look at my 3g 20gb if i miss those backlit buttons. wink

Posted by ayn on July 20, 2004 at 12:22 PM (PDT)

just dropped into the apple store and picked up my 40gig 4th generation. i had purchased a 3rd gen a few days earlier as part of the “cram and jam” campaign (education individuals get $200 back when purchased at the same time as a ibook or powerbook) and they kindly let me exchange it for the new one. That brought the total price for the 40gig 4th generation to $169! what a great deal!

Posted by andrew on July 20, 2004 at 12:29 PM (PDT)

pretty disappointing, ist it? I know a lot of users expected Apple to come with something VERY new; the only ‘kewl’ thing imho is that u can delete songs from an on the go playlist.

Posted by c.rystal on July 20, 2004 at 12:33 PM (PDT)

You could already put games on the main menu in the 3Gs..

Posted by adam on July 20, 2004 at 12:36 PM (PDT)

like the price drop and battery life of the 4th Gen iPod but I dont think I would be running out the door to replace my 3rd gen iPezi

Posted by spence on July 20, 2004 at 12:52 PM (PDT)

Well for me i think that the price drop is what has finally sealed the deal for me, i best be coppin a Ipod soon. I am just glad i didnt buy a 40 Gig before the 4G came out, i would be kicking myself now.

Posted by pat on July 20, 2004 at 1:59 PM (PDT)

I like it all.  Yesterday I scrambled to return my 40gig 3g ipod that I had for 10 days.  This new pod is going to be l337.

Posted by berg on July 20, 2004 at 2:14 PM (PDT)

hah! i returned my 15gig 3g also yesturday. i had it for 12 days, and had 14 to get it back to best buy.. thank you 4g ipod for coming out before it was too late!!

Posted by Steve on July 20, 2004 at 2:48 PM (PDT)

Does the 4G ipod works with the itrip for 3G ipod?

Thanks!

John

Posted by John on July 20, 2004 at 3:43 PM (PDT)

John,

Talked with an apple repsentative about this ovrer the phone. He stated (after alot of typing and clicking) that yes the 3Gen ITrip should work with the 4th Gen Ipod.

Posted by StealthAngel on July 20, 2004 at 4:08 PM (PDT)

Does the new 40 gig have the new click wheel?

Posted by little help on July 20, 2004 at 4:25 PM (PDT)

While I am always thrilled to hear of news from Apple and especially with the coming week’s Newsweek cover story on the iPod, I’m just not that impressed with the new 4G model.  Why?  Because after all the fuss of moving to separate buttons above the scroll wheel, they have now gone back to almost the original design of having the controls surround the scroll wheel.  They should not have messed that much with the original design, in my humble opinion.  The iPod works well as it was originally designed and although I personally own more than one of them, I don’t think Apple should tamper with its success in design and hone the iPod to death with future design changes.  It works, leave it alone!!

I am happy about the lower prices and longer battery life for the 4G models, though.

Posted by bjbear71 in PA on July 20, 2004 at 4:34 PM (PDT)

is even the 40gb model 1mm thinner than say, the 30gb 3G model?

Posted by Kevin on July 20, 2004 at 5:03 PM (PDT)

i am disappointed this is more like a 3.5g but not a 4g!
all but the new wheel and a better battery could have been in a software update!

I am sorry but when my 3g dies im buying a personal-video-player!

Posted by wora on July 20, 2004 at 5:24 PM (PDT)

Page 1 of 5 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »