Reader report: 4G iPod and photos | iLounge News

Reader report: 4G iPod and photos

picReader Mike S. reports he has taken possession of a new 4G iPod 20GB from a Mayfair Apple Store in Wauwatosa, WI. “Well people, I just stopped by my local Apple store and they had 9 of these babies ready for a home. No 40GB yet, nor did they have the new Click Wheel iPod docks. Also, seems like Apple hasn’t updated their retail software though, because they couldn’t register my iPod when I bought it, so now I can just register it when I need service on the baby.” Mike also goes on to report a few things he’s noticed about the new 4G iPod.

• Now you can turn it off completely by holding the Play/Pause button.
  • Click Wheel is not backlit, but the screen has a white backlight.
  • Clicker sounds slightly different from my iPod 3G.
  • Click wheel is slightly stiffer than the iPod mini’s.
  • No dock port covers are included.
  • Seems my iPod was partially charged when I bought it. Only took me 1 hour and now it says it’s fully charged.
  • The games menu can now be added to the main menu, YAY! (I think this is new to 4G).
  • On-The-Go playlist can now be saved, when saved, a new playlist is created (NewPlaylist1, NewPlaylist2, etc.) and the songs are moved there, the OTG playlist is then cleared. Saving playlists actually took abut 5-10 seconds, which seemed a bit long for only 2 songs.
  • Songs can be deleted from the On-The-Go playlist by holding the middle button for about 3 seconds, same as adding a song.

« iPod Xtras announces specials on accessories

Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders »

Comments

I’m confused.. I typed “1st” and it was censored with 3 stars??? Hmm

Posted by Sypher on July 21, 2004 at 2:42 AM (PDT)

And again.. haha. lets try with a gap.. “1 st”

Posted by Sypher on July 21, 2004 at 2:43 AM (PDT)

Jeez.. I just typed the abbreviation of “first” and its censored? Okay I’ll give up now.. sorry for spamming the comments :(

Posted by Sypher on July 21, 2004 at 2:44 AM (PDT)

They could at least have made the screen bigger now that the buttons are gone.
Then they could display genre and rating on the Now Playing screen, wich would be very nice. Especially if you could change the genre on the ipod itself.

A backlit Click Wheel would have been nice.

Can you add/delete songs from normal playlists (non-smart), or just from the On-The-Go ones?

And now i guess there’s no use in hoping for a firmware upgrade for us 3G owners anymore…

Posted by Deamer on July 21, 2004 at 3:06 AM (PDT)

Yeah, the 4g has a bunch of nice tweaks, but really doesn’t seem to be a must upgrade.  More likely, Apple lowered the price point in order to widen the moat between them and the competition, thereby maintaining their product dominance a while longer.

Posted by Obadiah on July 21, 2004 at 3:26 AM (PDT)

Yeah well when the gloss has dried on 4g i predict people will be saying the 3g was a better machine.

Posted by Kvee on July 21, 2004 at 4:02 AM (PDT)

Does anyone know exactly what the differences are between the 3G and 4G docks? Thanks.

Posted by Carter on July 21, 2004 at 4:16 AM (PDT)

I must say I’m alittle disappointed with the new ‘REMIXED’ (for a better word) 4Gen ipod… putting aside the fact the Apple are blatantly making the 4G ipod’s cheaper to manufacture and quicker to produce, they are even leaving out the little things like a ‘dock’ on the 20GB model???. Anyway
I was expecting a 60GB ipod!!!… I’ve been hearing about Apple ordering 60GB drives for the ipod, will that be the ‘NEW’ ipod they release in September?… me hopes so.

Posted by Godwithagun on July 21, 2004 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

Not likely Kvee, everyone says it looks cheap, if you’ve seen it in the Apple store it isn’t ugly in person. Now I own’t make a judgement until mine comes in, but it is likely this will sell more than even the 3G.

This Christmas, parents will be drawn in by the “cheaper prices” (which In know are actually the same thing but its all a marketing ploy) and they will sell a ton.

The Product isn’t cheap just because it costs less, the prices for the hard drives the iPod uses have come down i the last year and a half since they are no longer a brand new technology. You don’t need to act as if the sky is falling because the prices are, it’s just like how DVD players cost upwards of $300 in 1997 because they were brand new, but you can now buy the same quality player for about $100. Now that the technology is growing into it’s own like the DVD player, the prices can be lowered.

Posted by OAKTREELIVE PF in Boston on July 21, 2004 at 4:39 AM (PDT)

Is the click wheel matte or glossy?

Posted by dria on July 21, 2004 at 6:12 AM (PDT)

No dock port covers are included? Well that does it i’ll stick with my 3gen. wink

Posted by Wilson on July 21, 2004 at 6:28 AM (PDT)

I think that everyone needs to take a step back and stop complaining about the 4G…
Apple is doing exactly what they need to do to gain more marketshare with the iPod…shoot down criticism of low battery life by boosting it to 12 hours (also cutting down on unneccesary backlit buttons), lower the price to a more reasonable price that teenagers can actually see themselves considering by cutting accessories down to the basics (400 dollars for 20 gigs on the 3G?), and add a click wheel which has gotten rave reviews from mini owners.  (many people opposing the new click wheel are 3G owners that have never had the chance to fly through menus without moving their thumb off the wheel)  This product isn’t crap, and it is a pretty decent improvement that will hold its place in the music player game, I dont see what all the fuss is about!

Posted by ChrisOB on July 21, 2004 at 6:31 AM (PDT)

No dock port covers are included? Then i’ll stick to my 3G :(

Posted by Wilson on July 21, 2004 at 6:41 AM (PDT)

No dock port covers are included? Then i’ll by a iriver :(

Posted by Wilson on July 21, 2004 at 6:42 AM (PDT)

No dock port covers are included? In that case i’ll buy a iriver :(

Posted by Wilson on July 21, 2004 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Well, since MSFT announced new special dividend, it seems like they want me to get a new powerbook and ipod.  Also, my 2G is mad full.  Will be getting 40 gig and 12inch by beginning of school.  As for new design, its iffy.  Hopefully Vaja will come out with a new case by then.  Not going to pay for a crappy apple case.

Posted by senseigmg on July 21, 2004 at 8:30 AM (PDT)

FYI 4th Gen are at all the Apple Stores in NYC and NJ as of Noon Wed - with “Huge” stock as an Apple employee said and more on the way, where are the minis?

Posted by Iown24ipods in SF on July 21, 2004 at 9:04 AM (PDT)

Do the new 4G models do gapless MP3 playback properly yet?  I just ordered a new 40GB 4G model but it’s my first and I had forgotten about that issue…

Posted by Ernie on July 21, 2004 at 9:07 AM (PDT)

“simply chose a terrible cheap sounding name (The other kids WILL make fun of your iRiver. “

Umm, I hope you know that the iRiver brand was started before the iPod was even annonced. And why would you care what other people think about what you play music on? Thats exactly the type of thinking that makes the iPod sell, because if you don’t have what EVERYONE else has then your a “loser.” This update looks like a step back for Apple. 12 hour battery max? Thats far behind the competition. iRiver ihp has 16 hours and the new Creative has 24 hours.

Posted by ReFresh on July 21, 2004 at 9:26 AM (PDT)

OMG, it’s only got 12 hours of battery life. That means, like, I’m gonna have to charge it ONCE EVERY 2-3 DAYS. Actrually, I require music to breathe, so I think I’m gonna go with the 24 hour Creative, and listen to music non-stop. And since it’s about the size of a respirator, I think people will understand it’s purpose when it’s strapped to my back. And as far as the iRiver ihp iripoff, it doesn’t play iAACs, and um, oh, that’s right, nobody iCares about it. Seriously, people, when are you ever going to listen to music for more than 12 hours in a row away from an outlet?

Posted by Sam on July 21, 2004 at 10:53 AM (PDT)

Page 3 of 5 pages  <  1 2 3 4 5 >