Reader report: 4G iPod and photos | iLounge News

Reader report: 4G iPod and photos

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, July 20, 2004
News Categories: iPod

picReader Mike S. reports he has taken possession of a new 4G iPod 20GB from a Mayfair Apple Store in Wauwatosa, WI. “Well people, I just stopped by my local Apple store and they had 9 of these babies ready for a home. No 40GB yet, nor did they have the new Click Wheel iPod docks. Also, seems like Apple hasn’t updated their retail software though, because they couldn’t register my iPod when I bought it, so now I can just register it when I need service on the baby.” Mike also goes on to report a few things he’s noticed about the new 4G iPod.

• Now you can turn it off completely by holding the Play/Pause button.
  • Click Wheel is not backlit, but the screen has a white backlight.
  • Clicker sounds slightly different from my iPod 3G.
  • Click wheel is slightly stiffer than the iPod mini’s.
  • No dock port covers are included.
  • Seems my iPod was partially charged when I bought it. Only took me 1 hour and now it says it’s fully charged.
  • The games menu can now be added to the main menu, YAY! (I think this is new to 4G).
  • On-The-Go playlist can now be saved, when saved, a new playlist is created (NewPlaylist1, NewPlaylist2, etc.) and the songs are moved there, the OTG playlist is then cleared. Saving playlists actually took abut 5-10 seconds, which seemed a bit long for only 2 songs.
  • Songs can be deleted from the On-The-Go playlist by holding the middle button for about 3 seconds, same as adding a song.

« iPod Xtras announces specials on accessories

Apple making good on 40GB remote and case orders »

Comments

Godwithagun writes:
“...they are even leaving out the little things like a dock on the 20GB model???.”

The reason the dock no longer comes with the 20GB iPod is that the 20GB iPod is now the bottom-end iPod, just like the 15GB iPod was in the 3rd-generation, and thus doesn’t ship with a dock.

Posted by AndyH in Berwyn, PA on July 22, 2004 at 3:20 AM (PDT)

Well binaryAddict, I don’t think all your 20,000 downloaded songs are legal or else you would have spent $20,000 wink  I talked with my local Apple store and they would not tell me anything about a 60 GB version.  I have a 40 GB 3rd Gen but currently I don’t think that battery life is a big enough reason to get the new iPod, if it had video then yes.  Next year we will all be having these same discussions about the 5th Generation iPod and the people who have the 4th generation will probably be happy enough with their iPods that they don’t think it is time for an upgrade, as are the current 3rd generation owners.  I make it a plan to upgrade my iPod every odd time.  I owned a first generation iPod (a whopping 5 GB of storage) and didn’t upgrade it until the 3rd generation came out.  Now I won’t upgrade until the 5th comes out, it is only a year.

Posted by sdf on July 22, 2004 at 3:27 AM (PDT)

what a bunch of boners!!!

Posted by Right Wing Nutjob or Liberal Pussy? on July 22, 2004 at 4:40 AM (PDT)

The click wheel is matte, Itrip works great, Anapod no go yet.
I like the new look just bought a 4G 40 and have three Ipods now, 3G 15GB, pink mini and new 4G.

Aesthetics is a matter of personal taste.  I like it and got a 40 GB for $100 less, but when are they going to upgrade the earphones, yech.  I’ll stick with Etymotics
Lauren

Posted by Lauren on July 22, 2004 at 6:30 AM (PDT)

I think it is pretty lame for Apple to make customers pay 40 bucks for a remote, especially since it is a rather cheap remote and probably costs very little to make. Need I remind everyone that the iRiver comes with a backlit, 4-line remote?

Bad decision. Too greedy.

Posted by Questioner on July 22, 2004 at 9:37 AM (PDT)

I just got my 4g, and as a new iPod user I must say I am thoroughly impressed. I had ordered the mini, and was waiting for it to ship in mid-August, but when this came out it was a no brainer. I got the 20Gig. Everything about it is fabulous beyond words. I love the click wheel, the touch sensitivity is magical. The design and manufacturing are a step above anything else out there. And of course, it sounds great. This is like no other device I’ve ever had. I didn’t want to go the 40Gig route because my music collection just topped 40Gigs. If they come out with a higher capacity model I’ll certainly consider it. For now, I’m just going to enjoy this beauty. What an awesome music player!

Posted by willum on July 22, 2004 at 11:43 AM (PDT)

personally, the click wheel looks okay on IPOD MINI but totally NG on “IPOD”

Posted by ass on July 22, 2004 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

I’ll be keeping my 3rd gen ipod there just isn’t that much new with the 4th gen to mke me get one, my 15 gb came with all th accesories did apple change this later in the year?

Posted by will on July 22, 2004 at 11:11 PM (PDT)

@binaryAddict:

Have you actually tried listening to “uncompressed” music on the Ipod (or any other HD-based mp3 player)? If not, you are in for a surprise.
The biggest energy eater on the Ipod is it’s harddrive. Uncompressed music files are around 10 times bigger than 128 kbs mp3’s (on which the battery time of the Ipod is measured) - meaning your HD has to work 10 times as much. Meaning the battery time of the Ipod would fall from 12 hours to less than 2.

Posted by Shrike on July 23, 2004 at 1:01 AM (PDT)

SOUND QUALITY!

does anyone know anything about if iPod has finally cought up with zen and iriver in sound quality? if they haven’t, with all due respect to apple design, they are going to have it tough when the sony player comes.

have anyone compared 4G quality to earlier modles? any info please

Posted by dj on July 23, 2004 at 6:06 AM (PDT)

I bought a 3G iPod two days before the 4G’s game out. I really disliked the buttons on the 3G even if they did light up. The probably lit up because you can’s find the one you want without some help. I return the 3G and got a 4G and it ROCKS. It’s beautifully made and having the tactile feedback of the wheel buttons is much nicer than 3G buttons. I could care less that the wheel doen’t light up—doesn’t seem very necessary since the buttons are so easy to find an operate. It’s too bad Apple didn’t bring this out as the 3G instead of the awfull capacitance buttons.

Posted by oz on July 23, 2004 at 4:51 PM (PDT)

I just got my ipod 4G and I ws pretty dissapointed with the new look. Plus my click wheel was a bit crooked and my docking connector was crooked to. I think I should of got a 3G 20GB from amazon, at least it would of looked better and I would get all of the accessories for the same price as the new ones. I recommend this ipod if you dont care what it looks like and want a little more battery life. I still cant get my 4G into disk mode, can anyone help me with that?

Posted by Nick on July 26, 2004 at 1:34 PM (PDT)

Page 5 of 5 pages « First  <  3 4 5