Readers: Your chance to comment on today’s iOS 5 + iCloud news | iLounge News

Readers: Your chance to comment on today’s iOS 5 + iCloud news

By Jeremy Horwitz

Editor-in-Chief, iLounge
Published: Monday, June 6, 2011
News Categories: Apple

We’ve posted a huge collection of news stories regarding all of Apple’s iOS 5 and iCloud announcements today, and wanted to give you all an opportunity to discuss everything in one central location in advance of our editorial on the topic.

image

Did Apple impress you with the collection of features added to iOS 5? Are you excited or glad to hear about the free services coming in iCloud? Was anything really important missing today? Sound off in the comments section below.

« Apple posts iOS 5, WWDC 2011 Keynote Address videos

New in iOS 5: Twitter integration + Reminders »

Comments

I hope that we get notifications when our apps are automatically updated, so I can click on the notification and see what changes were made to the app.  That would be cool.  Overall, I’m excited about these announcements.

Posted by dbwie on June 7, 2011 at 4:41 AM (PDT)

i was wondering whether the multitasking-gestures are also present on the iphone as the ipad or not,because the home-button gives me lots of headaches i.e. it double clicks instead of a single click or doesn’t register the pushed button at all !

second thing that i was going to ask is whether the delivery receipt is also available for the regular (gsm) messaging or is it restricted to the imessage thing only?

Posted by sΔmΔn on June 7, 2011 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

Does iCloud work with things like podcasts? Does it sync play counts and last-time-played type information automatically between devices? Can I sync playlists or anything between iTunes installed on two different computers in two different locations but using the same iTunes account? How will iTunes Match deal with tracks ripped from CDs that have a match in the iTunes store, but that have been altered, i.e. split, had long segments of silence deleted, etc.?

Posted by Brocktune in United States on June 7, 2011 at 6:47 AM (PDT)

@Farnsworth:

Yo appear to have the dreaded “latest and greatest” virus. iPhone 3GS a “useless brick?!” I know lots of people quite happily usng the original iPhone as well as 3G and 3GS. Those phones still do everything they did when they were released- and even more since software updates. Web browsing, email, phone calls, texting… Hardly useless bricks. Domt fal for the sham of an idea that one needs to have the newest of everythng lest it be useless.

Posted by davjaxn on June 7, 2011 at 7:20 AM (PDT)

No real headlines in the day … but a large infrastructure extension.  To all but those who bad-mouth Apple (mostly because they don’t want to be in anyone’s ecosystem) … the day should cement Apple’s lead in what matters most … providing and tending an integrated digital lifestyle to those of us who haven’t the time to assemble all the pieces ourselves.

Biggest financial gain will be driven by the impacts on OSX platforms, not iOS.  More people will see the benefits of their being in a curated ecosystem, and more will be buying the Apple gear they don’t now have.  I think this will tilt the adoption curve for OSX devices more steeply than for iOS devices.

MK

Posted by Martin KK on June 7, 2011 at 7:30 AM (PDT)

I am a little confused on the music part of ICloud sevice. I am a heavy user of smart playlists and ratings and last played information for my tracks. Do I have an ITunes database file in the cloud to maintain this info across devices? Not sure how this service does anything for me. Maybe I am missing it still.

Posted by Tim on June 7, 2011 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

So…music streams to my iPad and iPhone.  So is it actually stored there as well?  Or is it all stored “in the cloud?”  What happens if I don’t have internet access?  My iPad is WiFi only…can I not play any of my music if I don’t have a WiFi signal?

Also…I hate Twitter.  I have no use for it.  No my iPad/iPhone has to have an actual OS Twitter function?  What a waste of space.  I wish it were an option and not a requirement.

Posted by imnotreallyscott on June 7, 2011 at 7:36 AM (PDT)

Also (#2)

What is this $25.00 fee for music purchased or uploaded elsewhere?  Are you telling me that I have to pay again for music I’ve already paid for in order for Apple to let me listen to it?  This seems absurd to me.  Ugh.

Posted by imnotreallyscott on June 7, 2011 at 7:38 AM (PDT)

For those that keep referencing “Streaming” for the iTunes/iCloud integration, you are mistaken. This is not a streaming service. This is an “availability” service. If you have purchased a track/album via iTunes, you can now access that track via iCloud to simply re-download that track on the go. So, if you purchased a song on your computer but did not sync it to your iPhone, you can simply connect and retrieve it on the go. No streaming. The track now physically resides on your device.

And the iTunes Matching sounds like it will work the same. Once your non-iTunes purchased tracks have been identified and matched (for those that can be) you will simply have that same identifier showing “ownership” and be allowed to physically download a copy to whatever device you need it on (within the compatible devices…and limited to 10 devices). So, my curiosity in this is simply “Can you pay the $25 fee, reacquire all your non-iTunes Store tracks as the 265Kbps AAC files and then un-enroll and keep those songs?”. That is the only real unknown for me right now.

So, I do not really see a down side here. There is now risk of losing tracks in the event of a server catastrophe, you no longer need to rely on back-ups of your music (as it is available for re-download) and your existing music collection can be upgraded and included in the service for a very nominal fee. Sign me up (after clarifying that little nugget about opting out yet keeping your converted music)!

Posted by Mitch on June 7, 2011 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

It all looks interesting but I hope Apple remember we don’t all have super fast pipes to our house and that in Europe you can’t travel that far without incurring the dreaded data roaming fees.

Also why do people get excited about notifications systems like the new one showing the weather where they are for that day, can’t they bloody look out of the window wink

Posted by Marcus King on June 7, 2011 at 8:38 AM (PDT)

iTunes Match:

It was stated that once a music file is matched it will be treated as if you purchased it from iTunes.  I’m interested to know how this will work?  Will it be enough to have an MP3 with metadata?  Or will it use Shazam-like technology to identify the song?  What would prevent someone from creating a recording from radio and have it identified by iTunes Match?

Posted by Brian on June 7, 2011 at 8:53 AM (PDT)

I like the way that Jobs and Apple are thinking about computers, laptops and tablets.  While people have been engaging in a false debate over whether the iPad could replace a laptop, Jobs simply and rightly declares, “We’re going to demote the PC and the Mac to just be a device—just like an iPad, an iPhone or an iPod Touch.”  This just makes sense because it is possible that many types of work projects might originate or be edited or completed on any of these devices.  So it’s not about which device is more powerful, it’s about access, when you want it and how you want it.

So for me the Cloud announcement is just a start.  For example, I am more interested in being able to store or access video content on the Cloud as opposed to all of my music collection.  But I look forward to being able to store information about purchases there, especially apps.  I also look forward to being able to not having to sync an iPad or iPhone to a desktop or laptop.

It will be interesting to see how developers respond to the new tools they have to play with.

Posted by Singlestick on June 7, 2011 at 9:42 AM (PDT)

It starts. $25/year “fee” split with the record companies to listen to music I already bought. The music industry is slowing moving us all to a license model for music, since buying a “hard copy” CD is becoming less common.

Putting all my music in iCloud is a first step at the music industry claiming back every thing I “own”. Years from today, I imagine paying the estate of Mick Jagger and its record label $0.01 ever time I play Brown Sugar.

Posted by drakebullet on June 7, 2011 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

@drakebullet - I honestly think you are looking at this all wrong. Apple is not charging you one penny to listen to music you already bought. Sync it and listen to it. Apple and the labels are charging a pretty nominal fee to make that music universally accessible. They are charging for the convenience of having “reach back” capability to reacquire that music at any time and from any compatible device.

I have roughly 800 CD’s that I ripped into MP3 or AAC format so that I could load them onto my first iPod. I have since stopped buying CD’s and moved on to digital downloads (iTunes, Amazon, etc.) because the few CD’s I did still buy got ripped and quickly stored away. Why eat up valuable real estate with items that I would rarely (if ever) touch again? Now this iTunes in iCloud is going to let me access EVERY track from almost ANYWHERE. This matching is simply a way for Apple to make these tracks available with the least amount of effort on both ends. They simply have to create aliases under your account that point to the already existing digital tracks on their servers. That saves them storage space and you bandwidth AND time needed to upload all your tracks if you wanted this accessibility.

The labels and Apple will make a minute amount from this $25 fee. It will not even make a dent in the losses from piracy, but it will be SOMETHING. As I stated earlier, I only question how opting out will be handled. I assume that, since you will download the iTunes version of your ripped music at some point, you now simply own that replacement copy. If you opt out, you will just no longer have the ability to match any new/remaining songs. But that remains to be seen until the service goes live.

But you are right in your “license model” point. We are already there. When you buy a digital track, you are not buying a physical item. Therefore, you are simply buying a license to use that virtual item. As long as I am paying the flat rate (be that .99 or $1.29), I do not have an issue with it. If it ever trends toward your Brown Suger example (and I do NOT see that ever being the case for individual use…maybe for commercial), I will quickly stop buying digital music.

Posted by Mitch on June 7, 2011 at 11:55 AM (PDT)

I’m glad they’re finally addressing notifications, but now that we have all of this inter-device syncing going on, hopefully they’ll fix the issue where you acknowledge a notification on say, your iPhone, only to be reminded of it again when you pick up your iPad.
iMessages, wireless sync and OTA updates sound interesting as well.
Some of the features of iCloud sound promising but after two years of MobileMe, call me skeptical.
And while we’re on the subject, how do my fellow MM subscribers feel about having paid for a service that Apple will now provide free of charge? I suppose we (and our data) were the beta testers for iCloud, huh? And wasn’t that a kick in the nads, the way they showed their appreciation by extending our subscriptions out to next June? So Steve, pray tell what is it exactly that we’ll be getting between now and when our subscriptions expire that iCloud users won’t be getting for free?

Posted by Paul on June 7, 2011 at 12:03 PM (PDT)

No Flash, No Cash

Posted by ScottH on June 7, 2011 at 12:44 PM (PDT)

Unless there’s some sort of management and user profiles implemented, the whole “cloud” thing for music is a wide miss for me. I’m already managing three separate media libraries in my household, with three different sets of smartlists and syncing options, and pretty sure as my son gets older, that’s going to increase to four separate media libraries. There are different ratings, different metadata in the comments fields, different ratings, tweaks to naming conventions, etc.. Ignoring the “there’s no limit to the amount of songs… (oops don’t read the small print, it’s really 25,000)” matter, I just don’t see how this is remotely useful for families. Never mind the mess of picking and choosing from a total library for someone who doesn’t want 100% of everything tied to the family’s iTunes account information. Really, unless there are features they haven’t announced, this is little more than a clumsy online backup system, and for $25/year, I can just as easily buy another hard drive every other year and accomplish exactly the same service.

Now, if Apple can give us individual library management “in the cloud” while being tied to a family account and mirror metadata correctly, I will be all about signing up for the service, but it it’s just a bulk “free download” from an unorganized (by my standards wink) service, I’ll stick to my non-cloud setup where everything is organized to the individual.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 7, 2011 at 1:25 PM (PDT)

Personally, I love - and always have - loved Apple. I kinda think we tend to get too greedy with all that we ask for in the world of technology. (And, yeah, I’m expecting comments in response to that. That’s fine.) But we have to remember that nothing in life is perfect, but Apple does a reallllly freakin’ good job at making amazing products. Sure, they have to work out a few kinks, but overall, they have stellar products. I had an Android phone - one of the highest-rated ones, too - and recently switched to an iPhone because the Droid made me want to drive over the dang thing with a Hummer on a daily basis. I wouldn’t go back to Android unless they took some major steps up. That’s how much of an improvement in quality I’ve noticed with the iPhone, even with it lacking some of the cooler features the Android OS has going for it. So, I guess in a nutshell, I’m just saying we should cut Apple some slack with things and appreciate the amazing technology they’ve brought into our lives. ‘Nuff said.

Posted by Bear23412 on June 7, 2011 at 1:42 PM (PDT)

@Code Monkey (#37): Actually, it’s not even anything quite as sophisticated as a “bulk download” service.

iTunes in the Cloud right now is only going to do two things, neither of which have anything directly to do with the iTunes library on your PC:

1. Let you view and download previously purchased music on a per-account basis, on demand. You will need to sign into the specific account where you’ve purchased the music in order to see it and download it.

2. Provide the option to automatically download any new songs purchased on another device with the same iTunes Store account.

The first option is actually not all that different from what users have been able to do with Apps since the very beginning of the App Store three years ago.  The only difference is that now it applies to music as well as apps, you’ll have access to an on-device searchable/browsable purchase history, and you don’t have to guess whether you’ve already bought something before hitting the “Buy” button (there won’t even be a “Buy” button, but rather an iCloud download button).

The second option is designed to handle only new purchases from the iTunes Store—AFAIK it does not apply to iTunes Match service (for your own music) at all.  Basically, everything that’s in your iTunes Store account before you turn on iCloud will be available on-demand for download to any of your devices, but won’t be delivered automatically.  Once you turn on iCloud, you will be able to decide, on a per-device basis, which devices receive your new purchases automatically.

I don’t expect any other library organization will come into play for the actual iCloud service, which seems like it will have no concept of playlists, metadata or organization beyond what is already in the tracks themselves (title, album, artist, etc).  You’re not actually storing any of your own data in the cloud beyond a list of what you’ve purchased and/or matched.  The actual content itself just comes from the great bit iTunes Store library in the sky.

That said, iOS 5 will also introduce Wi-Fi sync with iTunes, but this is strictly a replacement for USB sync and will only work over a local Wi-Fi network.  This has nothing to do with iCloud (although I can se the Wi-Fi sync eventually extending to work through iCloud in the future).

Posted by Jesse Hollington in Toronto on June 7, 2011 at 2:13 PM (PDT)

By bulk download, I meant what you said: it has every single track (within its limits) as a big iTunes store like list, which sticks every single person having to pick and choose from that list to gain any utility from the service.

For the 20 y.o. who has no s.o. or children and can’t be bothered to back things up and has all their metadata at whatever the ripper entered it as, hey, genius new service. For the organized media HOH, very underwhelming when the latent coder in me sees how easy it would have been to do this right since the infrastructure is already there.

Maybe next year :-D

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 7, 2011 at 2:27 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >