Real CEO: iPod users steal music | iLounge News

Real CEO: iPod users steal music

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 11, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Real Networks CEO Rob Glaser says that iPod owners steal music. The majority of music on the average iPod is obtained illegally, with relatively few songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store, Glaser said in an interview with The Guardian. “If you want interoperable music today, there is a very easy solution: it’s called stealing,” Glaser said. “The average number of songs sold for the iPod is 25, and there are many more songs on iPods than 25. About half the music on iPods is music obtained illegitimately either from an illegal peer-to-peer networks or from ripping friends’ CDs, which is illegal. But it’s the only way to get non-copy protected, portable, interoperable music.”

« Mix: Audible, Fifth Avenue, Britney, BitTorrent, Clickwheel

Bosch debuts Power Box Dock For iPod »

Comments

Yep!

Posted by Nick on May 11, 2006 at 7:48 AM (PDT)

Uh, ripping your friends CDs isn’t illegal everywhere, pal.  Us Canadians do it happily and legally every day!

Posted by Ben Dover on May 11, 2006 at 7:49 AM (PDT)

In my country, we have a couple of sayings that fit Mr Glaser very well: 1) It’s a swan song 2) Never shoot at an ambulance.
Therefore, I won’t insult Mr Glaser, but just say he missed the boat, no matter how he wants to put it.
Force-selling the Real Player is what killed it. Period.

Posted by JT on May 11, 2006 at 7:50 AM (PDT)

Wow….

...and I suppose no one is using streaming audio capture to record music off RealNetworks subscription service?  RealNetworks software is so clunky that only technically inclined users are likely to use it.  Those are the same people who haev actually heard of software like RePlay.

What a way to build a customer base; insult everyone who isn’t currently using your service.

Posted by rochester on May 11, 2006 at 7:56 AM (PDT)

I have close to 30 GB on my 5G, none of which is stolen! Would love to know where this moonbat got his data.

Posted by Brad on May 11, 2006 at 8:00 AM (PDT)

“RealNetworks software is so clunky that only technically inclined users are likely to use it.”

Sorry, but when’s the last time you’ve actually used Real software? True, their old stuff was slow and awkward (Real Jukebox anyway) but Real Rhapsody is nice looking and very easy to use. Plus, it’s less of a resource hog than iTunes on my machine.

Posted by B on May 11, 2006 at 8:03 AM (PDT)

He sounds grumpy, and a great point that rochester brought up: “...I suppose no one is using streaming audio capture to record music off RealNetworks…”

Posted by mraarons on May 11, 2006 at 8:05 AM (PDT)

Same here!!! Everything in my iPod… songs and video… is ripped from my own CD/DVD collection. Last time I check i did not steal anything LOL

Mr Glaser’s comment was an over-generalized and an irresponsible statement!!!

Posted by floridante2k on May 11, 2006 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

you can rip your own cd’s legally, and thats what ive done for the majority of my music, about 600 albums. is there any contact information for this uninformed whining idiot?

Posted by John on May 11, 2006 at 8:07 AM (PDT)

Where does he get his information?  I have over 2000 songs on my iPod.  Maybe 5 have been purchased from the iTunes store.  The rest were ripped from my own CDs.  Any other company in the mp3 market is just jelous of Apple because are sucessful.  Apple rocks, that many users can’t be wrong!

Posted by CpH on May 11, 2006 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

I’m just glad Mr. Glaser pointed out an issue that only plagues the iPod. So, one would think, that the way to eliminate illegal file-sharing/ripping in terms of music, would be to just ELIMINATE the iPod. HE’S A GENIUS!

Posted by DudeDah on May 11, 2006 at 8:08 AM (PDT)

This guy is a total ### hole! Remember making mix tapes as a kid, recording songs from the radio, exchanging LP’s?
Ripping friends Cd’s who in the world have not done that, I spend $100’s a year on music downloads all from itunes.
The other guy is always going to try what he can do to smear his competition, that’s business, most of the people I know have either bought CD’s then ripped them or go to Itunes. Let me say it again ### HOLE!!

Posted by mossman on May 11, 2006 at 8:23 AM (PDT)

Besides ripping your own CDs and downloading free podcasts, there is also eMusic. I have a bunch of stuff on my iPod that I bought there.

Posted by Mike W in Silicon Valley, CA on May 11, 2006 at 8:24 AM (PDT)

... In other news, Earth is round.

Posted by Chahk on May 11, 2006 at 8:31 AM (PDT)

I have over 1000 cds worth of music that I have purchased, along with around 2,000 songs off of iTunes.  Wonder where he get’s his information.  Most likely he just talked to the poor kids in college (which I used to be).  It’s very much dependant upon the age group as who’s “stealing” music…

Posted by Michael on May 11, 2006 at 8:39 AM (PDT)

what a REAL idiot!

Posted by Tay on May 11, 2006 at 8:42 AM (PDT)

I think it’s interesting how he must probably have used raw data like the number of songs sold on iTMS divided by the no. of iPods sold. Great maths. True test of a good CEO. *sarcasm*

Posted by Chris on May 11, 2006 at 8:48 AM (PDT)

What a bozo.  That’s like me saying that all company CEO’s misstate their corporate earnings and are defrauding thier investors.

Posted by Chris on May 11, 2006 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Rob Glaser is SOOOOOOOO right on this one smile

Posted by mark on May 11, 2006 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

I hate to defend Mr. Glaser, but he said “half”, not “most” of the music is stolen.

Posted by otaku on May 11, 2006 at 8:55 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »