Real CEO: iPod users steal music | iLounge News

Real CEO: iPod users steal music

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 11, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Real Networks CEO Rob Glaser says that iPod owners steal music. The majority of music on the average iPod is obtained illegally, with relatively few songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store, Glaser said in an interview with The Guardian. “If you want interoperable music today, there is a very easy solution: it’s called stealing,” Glaser said. “The average number of songs sold for the iPod is 25, and there are many more songs on iPods than 25. About half the music on iPods is music obtained illegitimately either from an illegal peer-to-peer networks or from ripping friends’ CDs, which is illegal. But it’s the only way to get non-copy protected, portable, interoperable music.”

« Mix: Audible, Fifth Avenue, Britney, BitTorrent, Clickwheel

Bosch debuts Power Box Dock For iPod »

Comments

3619 songs… most from my own CD collection. (I do have one that was stolen from my university website. For some reason, iTMS doesn’t sell fight songs!)

Let’s see how badly Glaser flunked boolean.
iTMS users have iPods and not all music on an iPod is from iTMS. Some music that is not from iTMS may have been copied illegally. Therefore, iPod owners are thieves.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on May 11, 2006 at 8:59 AM (PDT)

I’m a college student….and I have my 60gb ipod filled with my own cd collection and music/video downloads from itunes…all legit.
Why does the author target just ipods? How about creative and other mp3 players? Owners of non-ipod devices DON’T illegally download music?
Clearly this is a biased statement.

Posted by sarah on May 11, 2006 at 9:02 AM (PDT)

Automobile drivers break the law!
“if you want to get to work on time there’s an easy solution: breaking the speed limit. The average driver breaks the speed limit at least 25 times a week”

way to be a spoiled-sport, haven’t you gotten enough profit from your intrusive crap contantly-running-in-the-task-tray software Rob?

Posted by blayn. on May 11, 2006 at 9:05 AM (PDT)

Why single out iPod owners and not any other digital music device owners as theives?  Would love to see the source for this accusation.  My iPod contains 1,000’s of tracks - not one of them stolen, borrowed, copied, etc. from anyone else.  95% are from my old CD collection, the rest from iTunes.  Would Mr. Glaser have included me in his list of users that prove iPod music theft?

Frankly, I think it’s impressive that the average number of songs sold for use on each iPod is 25.  This extraordinary volume of purchased music downloads demonstrates to me that iTunes and the iPod have successfully set the industry standards for the recording industry and stimulated record sales.

Posted by brad on May 11, 2006 at 9:13 AM (PDT)

My sister just bought an 5th Generation video iPod. She bought her iMac 1st and spend months putting her collection of 500+cd in Itunes. She even spend time putting the album covers.  I read an article a few months back contradicting what he says.  This article said that ipod owners where less likely to steal.  Apple has done with iTunes the opposite of Naspter.  They have made downloading legally cool.  I disagree with this guy.

Posted by Giancarlo Bendana on May 11, 2006 at 9:15 AM (PDT)

So let me get this straight:

iPod owners - steal music
Real Networks - stole the iPod DRM for it’s Harmony program.

People in Glass houses Glaser….

Posted by Chundles on May 11, 2006 at 9:24 AM (PDT)

well when iTunes is 79p a song, and some other sites are legally $10 a song (about 6p) then why would we buy from iTunes?  What about my 100+ Cd’s i had before my iPod was bought, where do these come into this guy’s stats

Posted by andy on May 11, 2006 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

This guy is STILL talking?

geez…!

Anyone have some duct tape handy?

Posted by ahMEmon on May 11, 2006 at 9:33 AM (PDT)

Just thought I’d echo the comments of quite a few others here. I have two iPods (a Nano and a Shuffle), and all the songs on them are from my own personal collection of purchased CDs. I might well do so in the future, but thus far I haven’t purchased a single song from the iTunes Music Store.

Sounds like sour grapes to me, pure and simple.

Posted by Rob in Memphis on May 11, 2006 at 9:34 AM (PDT)

Although my nano contains very few songs to begin with, my iTunes collection contains approximately 700 CDs, lots of Podcasts and a few songs I purchased from iTunes. Oooh - almost forgot, I have a few dozen mps clips or samples. Not a single one illegally downloaded or ripped. But I own an iPod so I must be a thief, right?1?

Posted by Russ on May 11, 2006 at 9:41 AM (PDT)

I agree with DudeDah’s comments.  The way he puts it the iPod is the only music player to play stolen music.  No one is trading AAC files en masse.  THey’re MP3s if anything and last time I checked all MP3 players play unprotected MP3s.

Posted by DF57 on May 11, 2006 at 10:08 AM (PDT)

I’ve never liked Real’s stuff, and I’ve never liked Glaser. He’s one of those CEOs who’s always whining about the competition instead of focusing on making his own company’s products better. In short, he’s a tool.

This latest comment is beyond contempt. I have two iPods, and EVERY song on them is ripped from my own CD collection. I don’t care about the wording - he’s implying that iPod owners are thieves. Well, Mr. Glaser, Real Player is being uninstalled from my PC tonight. Any potential there was that I might be a paying customer of your company is gone for good. Way to run a business, you idiot.

Posted by Fangorn in Texas on May 11, 2006 at 10:35 AM (PDT)

Well, the RIAA now considers it illegal to rip your own CDs, so I imagine this rant is part of that new line. Just another orchestrated mass mis-info delivery to the media brought to you by the music biz brass.

Posted by superape on May 11, 2006 at 10:38 AM (PDT)

So where are the owners of other digital music players getting their music. It certainly isn’t from Real. Therefore people with non-iPod players must be even bigger “thieves”. Glaser : glass house…. maybe he should stop throwing rocks.

Posted by David on May 11, 2006 at 10:40 AM (PDT)

A douche is a douche is a douche.

Posted by icantpod on May 11, 2006 at 10:57 AM (PDT)

I believe that Mr. Glaser has been misunderstood or misquoted.  I think what he was trying to say is that the lack of a universal protected audio file format is the reason why piracy is popular.  iTunes supports iPods, and iPods only.  The RealPlayer Music Store supports iPods and hundred of devices that support protected WMA files.  Napster supports only WMA devices.  Just imagine if a TV antenna would only pick up one network, and you needed one for each network.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on May 11, 2006 at 11:17 AM (PDT)

Rob Glaser is right on the money.

Those who say they load up their 30gb ipod with songs bought from itunes music store, you a liar or an idiot.

Glaser cannot be more right.  It’s a hard reality but it’s a reality.  I love my itunes, I think it’s the best music player out there.

All my friends plug their ipod to my computer, and fill it up with 30gb of mp3 of their choice.

Thanks Apple

Posted by Mike on May 11, 2006 at 12:24 PM (PDT)

Or you could rip your own CDs into iTunes and not break any law.

Posted by LukeA on May 11, 2006 at 12:51 PM (PDT)

Mike is somewhat right.  I’m a student at cal state fullerton and I can tell you from my personal experience that everyone in college fill up their ipods with music from someone who has it.

Ipod is very popular on campus and almost everyone has one.  I never met someone who buy songs from apple music store.

I think people who buy songs from itunes are old or don’t know how to use a computer or don’t have any friend.

When apple say they make most of their music from the ipod and not the music store, believe them.

Posted by calstatefullerton777 on May 11, 2006 at 12:59 PM (PDT)

When apple say they make most of their MONEY from ipod and not the music store, believe them.

oops

Posted by calstatefullerton777 on May 11, 2006 at 1:06 PM (PDT)

Page 2 of 4 pages  <  1 2 3 4 >