Real CEO: iPod users steal music | iLounge News

Real CEO: iPod users steal music

By LC Angell

Contributing Editor
Published: Thursday, May 11, 2006
News Categories: iPod

Real Networks CEO Rob Glaser says that iPod owners steal music. The majority of music on the average iPod is obtained illegally, with relatively few songs purchased from the iTunes Music Store, Glaser said in an interview with The Guardian. “If you want interoperable music today, there is a very easy solution: it’s called stealing,” Glaser said. “The average number of songs sold for the iPod is 25, and there are many more songs on iPods than 25. About half the music on iPods is music obtained illegitimately either from an illegal peer-to-peer networks or from ripping friends’ CDs, which is illegal. But it’s the only way to get non-copy protected, portable, interoperable music.”

« Mix: Audible, Fifth Avenue, Britney, BitTorrent, Clickwheel

Bosch debuts Power Box Dock For iPod »

Comments

Mr. Glaser is guilty of a very typical business practice: lay blame at the door of the top dog. Let’s see, I have 4600 tunes on my iPod: I have collected 700+ CD’s over the years and I have ripped quite a few songs, bought more songs on iTunes than I care to admit in public, received 7 songs from a friend on a custom-made CD,and I have experimented with Real’s Rhapsody service and purchased 20+ songs through them. I have not had the time nor inclination to steal anything from anyone. Mr. Glaser, not that you will read this topic, but maybe one of your minion will get back to you; I take offense at your generalizations and characterizing iPod owners as basically thieves operating under cover of darkness. Don’t you want to slander and insult other MP3 player owners or are just customers of Apple the only ones ones on your corporate radar screen? Were iPod owners to operate under the same set of “rules” that you do, I think it would be fair, safe, and appropriate for us to say that most corporate leaders are dishonest individuals who are raping their companies, screwing over their employees, defrauding investors, and are basically just evil. Luckily, the majority of iPod owners appear to be level-headed and fair-minded. Why don’t you purchase an iPod; it is not too late to turn away from the dark side of the corporate force.

Posted by Slats325 on May 12, 2006 at 5:36 AM (PDT)

hmmm…the CEO of real…..yup hes such an influential figure in the music inductry…...pfft….boo hoo….someone give him a tampon…

Posted by teknikal on May 12, 2006 at 6:18 AM (PDT)

hmm…CEO of Real…yuh hes such an influential figure in the music industry….pfft…boo hoo…someone give him a tampon.

Posted by tek on May 12, 2006 at 6:21 AM (PDT)

## Code Monkey ##

So the other players have greater choices, better prices and more flexibility. Yet none of the services other than iTunes is succeeding. Therefore I conclude that despite all the advantages you list, virtually nobody is paying for WMA files. Therefore “MP3 players” are filled with MP3s and unprotected WMA files that could only have come from CD collections or the internet.

Young iPod owners don’t buy music
Mid-older iPod owners rip their CDs and buy a few songs
Young MP3 player owners don’t buy music
Mid-older MP3 player owners, um, other than you are there any?

Posted by David on May 12, 2006 at 10:17 AM (PDT)

Glaser just sounded like a very soar loser! Soul grapes!!  I agree, this is no way to tell off your non-Real users!!  Just like that Microsoft guy, and also the Creative CEO, all criticising Apple and the iPod, because why?? Well, apparently iPod/iTunes is doing well, in terms of buisness, than the rest…

Posted by howwow in Singapore on May 12, 2006 at 10:48 AM (PDT)

It’s not illegal to rip a friends’ cd to your ipod. He’s full of it. In a landmark case years ago it was deemed legal to copy an LP onto a cassette and either listen to it yourself or give it away (not sell it). Same deal with copying your pal’s cd to your pc. It’s legal, end of story.  Jeez, next he’ll claim that LISTENING to your friends’ cd is stealing.  Case closed, dude.

Posted by TheBigNewt on May 12, 2006 at 11:08 AM (PDT)

Try this one on Robbbie Boy: It’s legal to buy from Itunes and put the stuff on many Ipods, right? RIAA has no problem with that, Apple has no problem with that. Now tell me how many Ipods the average person has. ONE? You got it right. So if I put my Itunes song on a second player is it’s probably gonna be somebody elses, aint’ it? The RIAA and Apple have no problem with that, ‘cause that’s the rules they made. You gotta problem with that? Tough!

Posted by TheBigNewt on May 12, 2006 at 12:08 PM (PDT)

Here he goes (say it slowly) again. When he will ever shut his big mouth.  Walk the talk. He talks too much.

Posted by th on May 12, 2006 at 12:21 PM (PDT)

Oh boy Robbie G, you reek of desperation. You’re battin’ 1,000 pal. Your product has sucked since…well, since it’s inception. I don’t know about the rest of you but most of my music, in fact almost 99% of it has been ripped from the CDs that I have bought over the years. The stuff that hasn’t is from the iTunes store. I can’t wait for the Robbie G bit of wisdom!

Posted by g00gander on May 12, 2006 at 1:03 PM (PDT)

I have 1728 Protected AAC audio files on my iPod.  I didn’t steal ‘em, Mr. Glaser.  I’ve bought enough music from ITMS to fund another iMac. The rest of my music came from my old CD collection.  That’s right, MY CD collection.

Posted by William Beem on May 12, 2006 at 2:36 PM (PDT)

pffft! 3700+ songs, bout a quarter of ‘em downloaded LEGALLY from limewire, and about half ripped LEGALLY from friends/stepdad’s CD’s… i <3 being canadian! and im poor, so i couldnt afford to buy all my muzik otherwise wink

Posted by QWER on May 12, 2006 at 3:15 PM (PDT)

the majority of my music on my ipod are from cds that ive bought, surely thats not illegal?

Posted by paolo on May 12, 2006 at 4:09 PM (PDT)

And if you get songs from your friends’ cds it’s legal too. Fact. He does not know what he’s talking about when he says it’s illegal to put music from your friends cd on your Ipod. You can copy it and give it to your friend too. Legal. Why do you think they sell CD copying software? Huh? They can copy protect CDs, but they don’t. The only thing that’s illegal is selling it.

Posted by TheBigNewt on May 12, 2006 at 4:18 PM (PDT)

<i>And if you get songs from your friends’ cds it’s legal too.<i>

That’s YOUR dillusion.

Using someone else’s CDs to rip is no more legal than downloading off of a P2P. The only difference it that your files are harder to track. You think just because you’re the one who hit the ‘Import CD’ button in iTunes, that automatically makes it ok?

You didn’t pay for it, then it was never yours to rip for your own use to begin with.  And when push comes to shove, if you can’t come up with the CDs in your OWN possession that has all those ripped songs on your iPod or computer’s hard drive…guess what…illegal music.

Posted by flatline response on May 13, 2006 at 11:06 AM (PDT)

“So the other players have greater choices, better prices and more flexibility. Yet none of the services other than iTunes is succeeding.”

... sigh ...

Please define success in a way better than Apple. Frankly, Glaser is completely right in one thing: two locked down, completely proprietary album sales per iPod over four years time is meaningless. I buy that many normal CDs every other month and I download four times that many albums with my Yahoo subscription every month.

The “success” of iTunes means that it happens to be more successful than any other service *at the moment*, but the digital download market is still a spit in the ocean as far as the music industry is concerned. Yes, they all want their share of the spit because it is made of money, but it’s not at all significant as of yet.

There is also a major chicken and egg problem. Apple captured a significant share of the player market unrelated to the iTMS. The majority of the choice in downloads are not directly compatible with iPods, ergo, they have an uphill battle.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on May 14, 2006 at 5:39 PM (PDT)

I have almost 30gigs of music on my 5g . All my own cd collection. Not one song from itunes store.

Posted by tony on May 14, 2006 at 9:57 PM (PDT)

Mr. Glaser certainly does not let the lack of hard evidence influence his opinions does he?  I have my own CD collection on my Ipod, but according to his “statistics” half would be stolen or, between myself and my neighbor, their Ipod would contain all stolen music as mine does not?

Mr. Glaser’s company has lost the main share of the market through the more successful marketing of Apple.  He does sound more like a sore looser with little class than a CEO with plans to recover his market for the future.

Posted by SouthernGothic on May 15, 2006 at 3:46 AM (PDT)

Who cares? All music is expendable anyway. Hear today, gone tommorow…

Posted by Dude on May 15, 2006 at 9:53 PM (PDT)

I can make numbers up as well. 25% of male real networks users enjoy penis !!! what a stupid comment !!!

Posted by Tspot on May 16, 2006 at 10:23 AM (PDT)

Page 4 of 4 pages « First  <  2 3 4