Real Network’s online petition backfires | iLounge News

Real Network’s online petition backfires

By Dennis Lloyd

Publisher, iLounge
Published: Tuesday, August 17, 2004
News Categories: Digital Media

Update: In an effort to thwart negative comments, Real has started a new petition without public comments available. The freedomofchoicemusic.org site now points to a new URL. This new petition currently has 35 signatures.

Yesterday Real Network’s launched the “Freedom of Choice” anti-Apple ad campaign, website and online petition in its efforts to stop Apple from keeping the iPod a “locked” platform. Today, the campaign has backfired with over 500 mostly anti-Real comments appearing on the petition’s website resulting in Real removing the link to freedomofmusicchoice.org on its website.

« Vaja to release new iVod cases for 4G iPods

RealNetworks kicks off “Freedom of Choice” campaign »

Comments

So Freedom of Music is a worthy cause, but Freedom of Speech isn’t? How hypocritical.

Posted by Jeff C. on August 17, 2004 at 7:51 AM (PDT)

I like how the list of people signing the petition has been “blocked” to “protect the Internet from viruses”. smile

I don’t remember seeing any “e-mail” addresses in the original petition.

I’m guessing that the new “signatures” are mostly names that say what the first petition was saying. That Real sucks. smile I always knew it did.

Posted by Dave on August 17, 2004 at 8:18 AM (PDT)

How is my iPod broken? I’m not follwing Real’s logic with that one?

Maybe it’s broken after using Real’s software.

Posted by Nick on August 17, 2004 at 8:35 AM (PDT)

You can view all the signatures here:

.narco

Posted by narco in Burbank on August 17, 2004 at 8:47 AM (PDT)

Jeff C.

Corporate sponsored “free speech” is highly suspect ... and these people are calling them on it, by exercising thier own free speech. So don’t cry foul when you get shot down, that in essense, is why we have first amendment rights in the first place.

Posted by Richard Mertz on August 17, 2004 at 8:49 AM (PDT)

Oops, I just re-read. My bad, Jeff. Sorry.

Posted by Rich Mertz on August 17, 2004 at 8:50 AM (PDT)

If you are anti-Real, Don’t sign the new petition with just names as they are just showing a signature counter—so even funny anti-Real names will not be shown only the number of signatures—by signing this “Rob Glazer Sucks” will not be seen by anyone, but the counter will add it and this will only help Real’s argument.

Posted by K-Rock on August 17, 2004 at 8:51 AM (PDT)

I’m pretty sure that Apple is watching this “petition” very closely as well.  So, they already know any signature count that Real provides them is bogus.

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 17, 2004 at 9:11 AM (PDT)

Really the only thing a petition is good for now a days seems to be to get your name or article onto a voting ballot… But that’s just my observation.

Also, I’ll jump on a freedom of choice bandwagon. The more choice the better to promote compotetion and better products… However. It seems to me that real in offering choice what you to choose them and stay with them, and lock you in. To me choice comes to being able to choose one thing, but also choose to use from multiple forums at the same time.

Just me.
Cheers,
Stu

Posted by studogvetmed in Loveland, CO on August 17, 2004 at 9:29 AM (PDT)

here is an anti-Real petition”

Posted by brodog on August 17, 2004 at 9:31 AM (PDT)

What a joke.

I also hate Real for thier crappy work. But i never expected them to be hated this much.

Posted by Wow on August 17, 2004 at 9:38 AM (PDT)

You know, this pathetic clinging to anything Apple was enough to get me to put Real on my computer for the first time in over three years and buy one tune just for the heck of it.

I don’t like Real, but I can’t say much good for Apple in this struggle either and I am disgusted by the juvenile Apple bootlicking and butt kissing shown in that original survey.

Apple is not your friend, they don’t care about you, and their attempts to maintain a closed format have nothing to do with quality and everything to do with trying to wring the last dime from everyone that can’t see through the fact that Steve Jobs is an idiot savaant that makes good products and then has absolutely no idea what to do with them.

Posted by Code Monkey on August 17, 2004 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

Oh, to be a fly on the wall in Rob G’s office after this little misstep…hah ahahhahaahaa

Corporate Amerikka is such a joke.

Posted by Roger Dodger on August 17, 2004 at 9:39 AM (PDT)

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a marketing campaign (I guess that’s what it is) go so totally the opposite way from what was intended, ever.

Dayyyyyammmmmmn!

Posted by whoa on August 17, 2004 at 9:46 AM (PDT)

What is really going on here?  This “campaign” is crazy - Like Nick posted earlier “How is my iPOD broken?”

The issue seems personal between Rob Glaser and Steve Jobs (or is made to seem that way).  Apple needs to address this ASAP with a press release exposing this FAKE fued as a poor marketing campaign by RealNetworks.

Rob Glaser and RealNetworks can “go jump in a preverbal lake” as far as I am concerned - I for one will not participate as a SHEEP in this fake (marketing) campaign.  I AM 100% happy with my iPOD and the iTUNES Music store.  Though .49c (temporary) downloads sounds nice, good luck getting all that RealNetworks AD crap off your computer.  RealNetworks software is bloated ADWARE that they still want you to pay for.

Hey Rob some of us woke up and won’t play!

Posted by jpt1 in Fresno on August 17, 2004 at 10:07 AM (PDT)

Ah, it’s so easy to hate Real Networks…I’ve loathed there as long as it’s been around.

As for Real’s complaints about the iPod, I pose this question…“Did Sony make a stink when there Beta tapes wouldn’t play in VHS players?”

Having said that, I have to admit that I installed the Real player today and am buying up the $4.99 albums like they are going out of style…and am also converting them to CD, converting them to 160k MP3 (via iTunes) and putting them on my iPod.

WARNING!  If you are going to install the Real Player, make sure that you look at the options carefully and make sure that you don’t allow it to be the default player for AAC files (or any other files for that matter).  Also note that THIS SOFTWARE SUCKS and will crash alot may produce some coasters (exit other applications before trying to burn a disc).

Real still sucks, but the price is right.

Posted by hibiscusroto.com on August 17, 2004 at 10:12 AM (PDT)

One could argue that Real’s marketing campaign is a success simply by the fact that we’re talking about it.

Posted by hibiscusroto.com on August 17, 2004 at 10:15 AM (PDT)

Petition?  Petition to who?  Apple?  I’m sure Apple will now have a change of heart and support Real all because of this fabulous idea from Real.

What a real joke.  They are jealous that they can’t have some iPod pie.  I think it’s all very laughable.

Posted by dawntreader101 on August 17, 2004 at 10:36 AM (PDT)

I just tried out the Real music service. Like Hibiscus said up above, the software is really bad. It eats up all of my memory, and even though the low price of the songs is nice, it’s just a pain to try to work with this horrible software after being spolied with the godsend that is iTunes. It was nice to get a few 49 cent tracks just to see what it would be like, but I’ll definitely be sticking with good old iTunes. Never until now did I understand just how perfectly iTunes and the iPod were meant to be together.

Posted by skylark on August 17, 2004 at 11:25 AM (PDT)

I’m trying the real music store right now…it’s nice that it’s pretty much half the cost of iTunes, but it’s a lot of hassle!  We’ll see if it’s worth it!?!

Posted by Dental Stud(ent) on August 17, 2004 at 11:50 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »