RealNetworks kicks off “Freedom of Choice” campaign | iLounge News

RealNetworks kicks off “Freedom of Choice” campaign

picMacMinute.com reports “in a move aimed squarely at luring iTunes customers, RealNetworks today announced that it has slashed song pricing to 49 cents and album pricing to $4.99 for a limited time. The price cuts are part of the company’s new “Freedom of Choice” marketing campaign to tout its Harmony technology, which allows songs purchases from the RealNetworks Music Store to be played on Apple’s iPod. The high-profile print, radio, and online advertising campaign kicks off Tuesday with a full-page ad in The New York Times that reads: “Half the price of Apple. Welcome to freedom of choice.” The ads also show an illustration of an iPod made to look like an open padlock. In addition, RealNetworks has launched a very anti-Apple blog. “This community site will provide a forum where consumers can learn about compatibility issues and discuss the issues with other digital music fans,” the company says.”

« Real Network’s online petition backfires

Kubrick iKub holder for iPod released »

Comments

Real sucks.  Everyone knows this.

Posted by Schiano on August 16, 2004 at 8:11 PM (PDT)

Yes i agree with you schiano

Posted by 555 on August 16, 2004 at 8:57 PM (PDT)

Check out the petition! Real is getting blasted on their own site. Everyone sign their petition in vain!!!

Posted by Bobbo on August 16, 2004 at 8:58 PM (PDT)

I’m all for “freedom of choice” but all the anti-iTMS propaganda that’s being passed around is just horribly wrong. iPod users have just as much, probably even more “freedom” than users of CD players, or any other digital audio player out there. You can play any mp3 files you already have, and you can rip whatever CD you like.

I just don’t see what the problem is here. iTMS is an _option_, not a requirement.

Real networks has forever tarnished their brand name in because of the simple reason that their player is spyware, adware infested, not to mention bloated and slow. Apple, whether people like to admit this or not, has a lot of support from the users of its products, and these ads from real will not be seen too kindly.

Posted by Sraphim on August 16, 2004 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

Just to clarify Bobbo everyone click on the add your signatatur link and view the signatures people have submitted. So far there a 25 and 23 are slamming Real

Posted by AaronM on August 16, 2004 at 9:11 PM (PDT)

Say what you will, but Real’s Harmony technology is what made me decide to sell my iRiver iHP-120 and buy an iPod.

Posted by Galley on August 16, 2004 at 9:15 PM (PDT)

I’m glad they’ve helped one person, but unfortunately that is the extent of their usefulness.  192kbps AAC is still too bad. :-(  The only thing I’d get would be lossless of some sort and that’s coming from a guy on a dial up connection!  Pitty that their software sucks too.

Posted by Taavi on August 16, 2004 at 9:58 PM (PDT)

I’m telling you, it really seems that Real has some obsession with harassing Apple. This fake blog site is rediculous and almost not worthy of comment. And the lowball pricing scheme is a sure fire way to fail in the long run, there’s already no profit in selling music.

Posted by Real is Apple's Psycho Stalker on August 16, 2004 at 10:05 PM (PDT)

poor guys.. trying so hard.. and in the end it’ll be for nothing

Posted by Tear on August 16, 2004 at 10:11 PM (PDT)

Check it out:

· Thursday August 19 - Debut of “Rock o­n Rob!” weekly Q&A with Real CEO Rob Glaser!

Let’s all try and be there.  I’ve got a bunch of really good questions for him….like “What are you doing?”

Posted by An Idea! on August 16, 2004 at 10:24 PM (PDT)

Real are such .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address) excuse my language, but they are.

Real couldn’t beat Apple in the music business, so now they have adopted the tactics of a hacker and started to attack Apple.  I don’t think Apple will even feel the blow.  Real’s arguments are so crude and unfounded, and even if they do convince some people, all they may do is convince them to buy an iPod as Galley did.  And Apple wont lose out on this…the iTunes music store is intended to drive iPod sales.  Now it seems Real’s music store is intended to drive iPod sales as well….did Real even think their campaign through before ‘kicking it off’???????

Btw, I just couldnt help laughing at this…its from Real’s Freedom press release at http://www.realnetworks.com/company/press/releases/2004/freedom_choice.html

Financial Guidance
The company previously issued third quarter 2004 financial guidance estimating a GAAP net loss between ($0.03) and ($0.04) per share. The company estimates the Freedom of Choice campaign may negatively impact projected third quarter net earnings by up to ($0.01) per share. As a result, today the company is issuing a revised estimate for third quarter 2004 GAAP net loss of between ($0.03) and ($0.05) per share. Excluding antitrust expenses, the company estimates a net loss of between ($0.01) and ($0.03) per share for the third quarter of 2004. The company remains committed to achieving quarterly profitability, excluding antitrust litigation expenses, by the end of 2004.

Posted by jamesd in Australia on August 16, 2004 at 10:28 PM (PDT)

I’d really like higher quality and cheaper downloads.  99 cents isn’t much, but it does add up.

I guess this will be good for competition.  Too bad Real sucks, so I’m sure Apple isn’t worried.

Posted by dethbrakr on August 16, 2004 at 10:46 PM (PDT)

Not to mention HP users will soon have iTunes default on their new PC’s…  Go with the best I guess.

Posted by Jojo the Clown on August 16, 2004 at 10:50 PM (PDT)

I have to be honest. I’m more than a bit biased and I hated the harmony crap beacause it was Real who was behind it. The way their apps have messed up my computer before has made me promise myself to never *ever* deal with this company again.

And now this? Real is shooting themselves in the foot by acting “Real"ly (ya was a bad one, I know…) unprofessional… Like a two year old cry-baby lying on the floor screaming until mommy buys an ice cream. I’m even more biased after this and I really don’t care whether the Real-store has 192kbps whereas iTMS only has 128kbps, I will never give a cent to Real.

I guess I shouldn’t start this all over again and please feel free not to answer if you think I’m trying the flame war thingy - I really am not, but why isn’t apple allowed to do what they want with their own product? I know there is an monopoly law but this can’t even come close. If it does it seems to me that it’d mean being successful won’t be worth it anymore. There are tons of hd mp3-players out there. Chose the one you want and be happy! And, as someone pointed out iTMS is a *choice* not obligatory store! Go buy CD’s and rip them yourself or whatever… Or you could use iTMS for it’s conveniancy - if you *want* to, noone is forcing people to use it. Noone’s is shoving iPods down anyones throat neither is anyone shoving up DRM’d AAC-tunes up your..well you know what I’m getting at. What about sony? Sure they probably have like 10 of their new players out there (probably alot more though…). They’re not as successful as the iPod so noone is banging their door about the atrac-locked players… If they had been successful it’d been *their* door Real would be banging on screaming to let them in on the money. Real has been around for a long time and during all that time all they have managed to do is to annoy the hell out of most of their customers with adware etc etc, rather than trying to make a *good* standard that the public *likes*. It’s noones fault but their own. Real has bad reputation among most people and it won’t get any better with this anti-apple movement…

Posted by blip on August 16, 2004 at 10:52 PM (PDT)

I think you guys might be missing something big though, if Real wins the court battles, then they would be in a position to license Harmony to other stores/vendors, this would force apple’s hand, they can either license AAC preemtively to take the steam out of Real or they can sit back and think that people will always come running to them out of loyalty, but I promise that this is not the case, the majority of people will eventually go with whatever is cheapest, this has been proven time and time again, especially where apple is concerned. You can claim hold out all you want and that apple can do anything they want, but they’re actually in a really bad situation if harmony proves successful…

Posted by unknown and anonymous on August 17, 2004 at 2:13 AM (PDT)

Blimey!! what’s the big deal trying to offer more choice and cheaper music for the ipod user, open standards are the way to go and look apple are trying to block anyone encrouching into their little money spinner.  What are they scared of.  If it will bring down the price of music then it’s good,  because are the moment in the UK at least it’s too much.

i don’t own an ipod because the sound quality isn’t up to rio or creative who’ve been in the mp3 digital market a lot longer,  alright they don’t look at nice as the ipod which has a nice wheel navigation I have to admit,  but all this hype makes me wnat to deliberatly choose another better value mp3 player and not follow the herd of dancing silhouettes.

Posted by musonic on August 17, 2004 at 2:50 AM (PDT)

Where is the freedom to use Real if you have OSX.

Posted by Give your feedback to Real on August 17, 2004 at 3:32 AM (PDT)

Posted by Steve on August 17, 2004 at 3:52 AM (PDT)

“Are you all nuts? Real are offering the same music cheaper - That’s a good thing!!!”

The point is, you can’t use it if you run OS X.  So, where is the freedom of choice?

Posted by The Raven in USA on August 17, 2004 at 4:27 AM (PDT)

Hate everything that Real stands for - I would pay double to see Real obliterated from the the face of the earth!

Posted by REALly Sad on August 17, 2004 at 4:45 AM (PDT)

Page 1 of 4 pages  1 2 3 >  Last »