Real’s Rob Glaser: Apple’s Steve Jobs is ‘pigheaded’
RealNetworks CEO Rob Glaser said yesterday that Apple’s refusal to make the iPod compatible with other digital music stores besides iTunes was “pig-headedness” on the part of Apple CEO Steve Jobs. Glaser also said that Apple’s closed system promotes piracy of copyrighted music.
“We think Apple Computer, and Steve personally, are making a mistake by making the software proprietary,” Glaser said at the Digital Living Conference in San Francisco, noting that RealNetworks would continue catering to Mac users. “There’s no reason we should penalize Apple customers for Steve’s pigheadeness.”
“Steve makes for a good pinata because he’s taken a position against interoperability,” Glaser said. The music industry “should be pressuring him to change because they have leverage over him. Apple being on its own in term of interoperability makes piracy more compelling for consumers. Because, hey, if I take all my MP3s from this illegal site or that illegal site, they’ll work on the iPod or anything else. Whereas if I buy them legitimately, they’ll only work at one place.”
- Apple releases iOS 8.3 beta 2 to developers
- Report: Apple to release iOS public betas
- Apple extends two-step verification to FaceTime, iMessage
- Apple raises size limit for Apps to 4GB
- iPhone theft decline attributed to Activation Lock feature
- iOS 8.4 already in development?
If you have a comment, news tip, advertising inquiry, or coverage request, a question about iPods/iPhones/iPad or accessories, or if you sell or market iPod/iPhone/iPad products or services, read iLounge's Comments + Questions policies before posting, and fully identify yourself if you do. We will delete comments containing advertising, astroturfing, trolling, personal attacks, offensive language, or other objectionable content, then ban and/or publicly identify violators.
- Apple, others likely to reach $415M settlement in poaching lawsuit [Update: settlement approved]
- Apple and HBO in talks for ‘HBO Now’ service launch
- Report: Next-gen ‘iPhone 6s’ to feature 2GB RAM, Apple SIM
- Apple looking to settle with electric car battery company
- Apple pushing out fix next week for ‘FREAK’ security flaw
- Report: Apple Watch retail strategy aims to push iPhone sales
- Apple back on top in phone sales for first time since 2011
- Phishing scam targets iCloud credentials of iOS device theft victims
- Apple adds vehicles to list of company’s activities in Switzerland
- Cook: Apple Watch to be available outside U.S. in April
- Uniq Aircraft+ for iPhone 6
- Speck MightyShell + Faceplate for iPhone 6 Plus
- Mobile Home Siri remote
- Olloclip Macro 3-in-1 Lens, Telephoto + CPL Lens for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- ExoLens Professional Photography System for iPhone 6
- Incipio offGRID Shine for iPhone 6
- Seidio Obex for iPhone 6
- RooCase GlacialTough for iPhone 6 Plus, VersaTough for iPhone 6 + 6 Plus
- CM4 Q Card Case for iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus
- iWalk Extreme Trio 10,000 Universal Battery
- Can I transfer the existing version of an app to my new iPhone?
- How do I quickly erase all of the contacts on my old iPhone?
- How do I disassociate my phone number from iMessage?
- How do I stop Siri from randomly waking up?
- How do I cancel a print job on iOS?
- How do I make my camera LED flash when my iPhone rings?
- How do I re-sync contacts to my vehicle after switching to a new iPhone?
- How do I move away from a shared Apple ID for iMessage?
- How do I consolidate iTunes purchases into a single account?
- How can I more easily Handoff a web page from my Mac to my iPhone?