Red Chair Software refutes Musicmatch’s warning | iLounge News

Red Chair Software refutes Musicmatch’s warning

In a response to Musicmatch’s recent warning about iTunes incompatibility, Red Chair Software, developers of Anapod Explorer, have posted a statement on its website which refutes Musicmatch’s suggestion that iTunes is sabotaging its software.

“The e-mail seems to imply that iTunes sabotages MusicMatch by “deleting critical files,” and some in the iPod community have speculated on whether Apple may be trying to hinder MusicMatch now that iTunes is available for Windows.

Based on our development work with our own iPod management software, Anapod Explorer, we do not believe that Apple intentionally tried to hinder third party software, nor does iTunes delete any “critical files” necessary to properly manage the iPod.”

« iPod Shootout at the TechTV Corral

Update: RemoteRemote conflicts with iPod firmware 2.1 »

Comments

Yup.  I’ve been using both since the launch of iTunes and all works well for me.  Musicmatch was uninstalled about 10 minutes after I installed iTunes.

Posted by gilatrout on November 5, 2003 at 3:19 PM (CST)

Musicmatch sucks and this is just a case of sour grapes on their part.  Nobody in their right mind would use MusicMatch instead of iTunes with their iPod anyway, so they’re fighting a losing battle as it is and they should knock it off with the conspiracy theories.

Posted by Rhyner on November 5, 2003 at 3:24 PM (CST)

I agree with Rhyner. ‘nuff sed

Posted by kainjow on November 5, 2003 at 4:22 PM (CST)

MusicMatch has always been a useless piece of software for interfacing between the iPod and the computer. I tried to used it once and never again. Anapod Explorer is perfect for my needs and I applaud Red Chair Software for always getting their updates out quickly and listening to their customer’s needs. What a shame that Apple doesn’t possess the same philosophy. With the hybrid release of iTunes and OS 2.1 for the 3G iPod, Apple had the third party software vendors up all night, correcting the problems it caused. But - Apple is Apple and they own the iPod, so they can do what they bloody well like with THEIR product. Since when have Intel and Microsoft closely consulted hardware and software vendors, before they decide to release new and “improved” products? It’s always a game of catchup and if MusicMatch hasn’t the cajones to stay in the game without whining and crying foul, it’s time they got out of the software business. As for Red Chair Software… YOU GO GUYZ!!!

P. S. After installing AE 8.3.1 it set every year date back to “0” on the iPod. Well that’s what it displayed, but it was a simple matter to fix it. A simple, little hint that would happen before the installation, would have prevented several minutes of swearing and cursing Red. If Red’s ears were burning at around 10:30 PM PST last night - now you know why.

Posted by Norith on November 5, 2003 at 4:27 PM (CST)

Wow, peep all the Music Match haters in here!  Seriously, Music Match has rocked the house for a long time (we’ve all used it) and it’s been a great piece of software…and deserves a proper funeral.

Posted by mr_bodhisattva on November 5, 2003 at 9:19 PM (CST)

I have never used music match and from what I can tell I should be happy about it.

Mike

Posted by mike on November 5, 2003 at 9:44 PM (CST)

I seem to recall during installation that iTunes warned me that I would only be able to use iTunes with my iPod.

I’ve found this to be untrue (Ephpod still works after iTunes was installed), but Apple certainly wasn’t trying to be clandestine.

Musicmatch was the most buggy piece of software I have ever used.  To think that they want people to pay for their ‘premium’ version is appalling.  Glad to uninstall it.

Posted by themantis on November 6, 2003 at 1:08 AM (CST)

As far as MucicMatch 8-iTunes 4.1-EphPod 2.7 being installed on same Windows XP PC and having issues = bull. I have not had any errors or issues using any or all three. Of course common sense tells me, opening all 3 apps to same Ipod chances are increased, which is why I open 1 at a time and have the setting of “when connected” application to open = none. Same as poping a CD in the drive and have 3 different apps accessing 1 CD = error.

My 2 cents:
I bought 15gb Ipod Windows with Dock Connector when it first came out and with MusicMatch 7.5, it was a pain to transfer music to the Ipod because it would take considerable amount of time. Didn’t know why but then I found out that MusicMatch would also transfer volume leveling settings to the Ipod as well and this was why it would take such a long time. Work around, I got EphPod, sweet speed transfer and volume leveling remain intact. I upgrade MusicMatch to version 8 and still have the same effect of painful transferring so I kept EphPod with MusicMatch 8 because I like the way MusicMatch organizes music. Only thing is I have to create the list with MusicMatch, save and use EphPod to transfer which is no big deal for me.
Opinions:
MusicMatch 8 pros - Music organization by Artist, Album and Genres, Volume Leveling curves and conversion of MP3 to MP3pro(MP3pro can take a regular MP3 file and compress it to MP3pro so that the file has smaller size while keeping the same bitrate and quality. Apple claims Ipod 15gb holds about 3,700 songs, with MP3pro format I can hold about 5,800 surpassing the current 20gb Ipod which is claimed to hold 5,000 songs. Try it, SWEET!).
MusicMatch cons - Super slow music transfer, music store sucks, MusicMatch radio sucks.

EphPod pros - Super fast music transfer, can download news, can edit tags on the Ipod if needed and many other settings.
EphPod cons - Still kinda buggy, needs more work.

iTunes pros - still testing but so far I like the way you can have Playlists displayed, radio so far good.

Posted by Ipod=My Precious on November 6, 2003 at 10:07 AM (CST)

Adding J. River Media Center

Pros - Fast launch, fast sync, low system usage, most powerful playlists, most full-featured library functions

Cons - Some bugs, learning curve, poor documentation, price.

Posted by Albert on November 6, 2003 at 10:43 AM (CST)

i didnt like the way itunes organises your music, but, a simple fix for this is go to ‘edit’, then ‘show browser’. this will replicate the way the ipod oragnises the files, and it does it using id3 tags too, so its easy to see where some files might be wrong and fix it fast

Posted by silver_haze on November 6, 2003 at 10:45 AM (CST)

<< iTunes cons - music organization is terrible(I don’t like to have a list of every single music that’s on my harddrive in 1 directory, I like to have in categories, organized like MusicMatch’s. I like to know where to find the music to what ever mood I’m in, not search in a list and try to find it. With a database of over 5,000 songs=not good.) FYI-for clueless or confused, having organized music and having playlist not the same in my case-I’m a DJ, speed a plus.>>

Huh? Play with the application a bit. You can organize the music however you want. It is true there is one folder that contains all your songs, but you can create smaller playlists with what ever organization you want. I think iTunes has the best organization system out there.

Posted by Terrin on November 6, 2003 at 11:10 PM (CST)

Ipod=My Precious-

maybe i’ve missed something but you can organize itunes by artist-album-genre-bitrate-time-size-bpm, all with a simple mouse click.

how does being a dj matter in reviewing itunes?  for what it’s worth, i’m also a dj and use itunes all the time for browsing my mp3 collection.

Posted by box on November 7, 2003 at 10:13 AM (CST)

Real DJs don’t use iPods and stay well away from iTunes, plain and simple.

The iPod playlists suckls, and until recently it had no cue feature or auto drop in. It still leaves gaps between songs.

Try the Rio Karma. It’s got hardware assisted crossfading and pitch shifting. You’ll be a lot happier.

iTunes messes up careful by-label organisation. The only program I’ve found that does a good job is the Media Centre, because it lets you rename directories and files using any schema you define in the ID3 tags.

Here’s how my label info breaks down in the tags:

Comment - Remix info
Custom 1 - Original artist
Custom 2 - Label
Custom 3 - catalogue #

I get Media Centre to rename the files and dirs the collection organized by label and catalogue number.

My friend Tanya had an elegantly arranged label/catalogue # vinyl rip collection that iTunes completely mangled into some bizarre Artist-Album-Song rubbish. iTunes is brain damaged.

Posted by DJM on November 7, 2003 at 10:51 AM (CST)

To the DJ’s. I think we’re wandered off the original topic, haven’t “we”. This was supposed to be about Red Chair Software’s statement about Musicmatch’s contention that Apple, allegedly tried to use some underhand tactics with the introduction of iTunes. Even a discussion on Anapod Explorer might be “on topic” as well, considering it doesn’t rate its own iPodLounge Forum yet. If you need to voice your opinions about the pros and cons of iTunes, then do it in the appropriate forum. This is getting boring.

Posted by Norith on November 7, 2003 at 12:27 PM (CST)

let the truth be known…

real djs use vinyl, not ipods or rios or whatever.  show up at one of my gigs with portable mp3 players and i’ll show you the door.

if i saw a “dj” using portable mp3 players in the booth, i’d show myself the door and demand my cover back.

funk that!

nuff said.

nuff said.

Posted by box on November 7, 2003 at 12:46 PM (CST)

Hah….Buncha Moroons.

My first paragraph was about the topic.
My 2 cents were just that “MY 2 CENTS”.

*real djs use vinyl, not ipods or rios or whatever.*
Can’t carry a vinyl in my pocket or play it on my car!

ITunes:  organization sux, period! They need more work!

Sabotaging(original topic): NOT TRUE!!

This topic has been closed by moderator!

Posted by IPod=My Precious on November 8, 2003 at 6:37 PM (CST)

Sounds like sour grapes on MM’s part,because for a time I was using both without a problem,and may have to re-install MM to retrieve some songs to put into I-Tunes.
I’m still trying to figure why I-Tunes mysteriously dropped over 200 files.Can’t locate them,either,and I know they weren’t erased or in the wrong format.They still show up on MM though,which is weird.I’m also not thrilled about the drag and drop thing,and will have to re-order some stuff,but I’ll adjust. Other than that,I can’t complain. It was a clean transition otherwise. The transfer rates are great,rips are much shorter,and I don’t have to create or wipe out playlists whenever I want to add songs. I had to do that with MM,which sucked.
What is the big deal about using Ipods to DJ? It’s not that serious,but whatever blows your skirt up,I guess. The SoHo store featured a world famous DJ using one (either Oakenfold or VanDyk,I forget). I’m trying to figure out how to successfully integrate one into my sets.Otherwise,who the f@*! cares? Please.

Posted by Christianicononev.2 on November 8, 2003 at 7:29 PM (CST)