‘RED’ iPod nano being announced tomorrow [updated, confirmed] | iLounge News

‘RED’ iPod nano being announced tomorrow [updated, confirmed]

image

U2’s Bono will reportedly announce a special edition red iPod during tomorrow’s Oprah Winfrey Show as part of the Product RED initiative aimed at battling AIDS. According to two separate reports by Apple enthusiast sites, the show was taped earlier today in Chicago and featured Bono and a 4GB “iPod nano RED.” The special nano will reportedly be priced at the same $199, with $10 of each sale going to the Global Fund to support AIDS programs in Africa.

Oprah’s website currently has the following teaser posted: “Get ‘red’-y! It’s something so huge, it took Oprah, Bono and a convertible to make it happen! Plus, Penelope Cruz and Kanye West are in on it! An extraordinary launch! Chicago goes ‘red’ today and this is just the beginning!” Rumors of a Product RED iPod first surfaced in February. Companies including American Express, Converse, Gap and Armani have all released specially-designed red products as part of the project.

Update: The Chicago Tribune is now reporting that it has confirmed with both Apple and The Global Fund to Fight AIDS that a Product RED iPod will be introduced tomorrow.

Update #2: The Chicago Tribune is now hosting a photo of Bono and Oprah listening to the Product RED iPods at the Chicago Apple Store.

image

« DLO debuts Care Kit for iPods

Marware intros Sportsuit Sprinter for 2G iPod nano »

Comments

BJ Nemeth,

That being the case then why doesn’t Apple simply donate 5% of every iPod and not just the special release “red” one? Skip the celebrities and the “color association” and just get on with it? After all, then you could skip the “embarrassment.”

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 12, 2006 at 8:04 PM (PDT)

mcnut,

Awareness, Boner? Give me a break, I guess the less or uninitiated might not know about said matters, but c’mon now. Boner needs to find a real job.

Posted by FahrenheiPod 451 on October 12, 2006 at 8:07 PM (PDT)

BJ - read this article about the pink phenomenon.

Posted by dustin on October 12, 2006 at 8:18 PM (PDT)

The words Big and Deal spring to mind.

Posted by jeffha on October 12, 2006 at 8:42 PM (PDT)

Anyone remember one year Oprah pimped Dell DJs for Xmas?

Posted by wco81 in West Coast on October 12, 2006 at 9:19 PM (PDT)

if they expanded the amount of products they had, they could get more money and raise more awareness. If they released a new (red) ipod shuffle then i would go out and buy it right now. I think the whole red thing is a good idea, but using all those celebrities is cheating. People will only buy the products because their favorite musician uses it. well anyways, i just hope they eventually release a red shuffle.

Posted by judy on October 12, 2006 at 9:54 PM (PDT)

Dustin—I read the article at ABC News, but it reads like an “expose” that isn’t exposing anything. Are they really that shocked that corporations benefit from their charitable donations?

As a capitalist, I have no problem with that. If a company can increase profits AND donate additional money to charity, I think that’s fantastic. I consider it a win-win situation.

There are a few companies out there that donate 100% of their profits to charity, and that’s great. (Paul Newman’s line of “Newman’s Own” products come to mind.) But anyone who expects that from EVERY corporation is just deluding themselves.

Farenheipod—Why doesn’t Apple do what you suggest? Because like most businesses, their goal is to make money. 5% of a special-edition iPod gives a good mix of publicity-to-donation. If they gave 5% of ALL their iPods, it would dramatically affect their bottom line. (That’s 5% of GROSS, not NET.) If they didn’t do any promotion with special colors or celebrities, they wouldn’t get any publicity out of it.

Farenheipod, you also need to get over the idea that Apple is donating “your” money. Since the cost of the Nano is unchanged, no extra money is coming out of your pocket. Apple is taking $10 out of THEIR profit and giving it to charity rather than adding it to their own bottom line. In exchange, Apple will get good publicity and a charitable write-off.

If you don’t like the idea of corporate tax write-offs for charitable donations, then your beef is with the United States Congress.

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 12, 2006 at 10:17 PM (PDT)

I would buy that if they offered it in the 80gb version. I wouldn’t buy it because Oprah and Bono are involved or because it raises money for aids research, but because I think it would look real cool.

Posted by eddie on October 12, 2006 at 10:42 PM (PDT)

BJ -you’re right. It’s moronic for me to think that my fellow Americans would donate money with no incentive. It’s not like if we took all of the grain that we feed to the cows in the slaughterhouses that give us cheap beef every year and devoted it to the problem of world hunger that it would be enough food to feed the population of the earth. It’s not like even as a college student who makes $100 a week (which is nothing compared to what most people make) that I can take 1% of my weekly income and go get a burger and feed myself. You’re right. It’s moronic of me to think that we would be selfless for one second.

Posted by John Meche on October 13, 2006 at 12:04 AM (PDT)

John Meche—It’s not moronic to think Americans would donate money without an incentive. Individual Americans donate billions of dollars each year to a wide variety of causes without the incentive of red iPods or pink soup cans.

However, your initial post implied that somebody planning to buy a $200 iPod should donate that $200 to AIDS research instead. It would certainly be admirable if somebody chose to do that, but to suggest that on an iPod-focused website is what I consider moronic.

(I don’t know how you transitioned to the topic of feeding the world with the grain going to cattle, or your ability to buy yourself a burger for a dollar. I think you’re losing sight of the topic.)

My final question is this—would you be happier if Apple donated nothing to anybody? If tomorrow they just issued a press release stating they’ve made a new color (red) available for the iPod Nano? (Keeping the profits, of course.)

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 13, 2006 at 1:31 AM (PDT)

John Meche—I just discovered your second comment in this thread (Comment #13 back on page 1). When I read it the first time I didn’t connect it with the first comment, but rereading it now has clarified some things for me.

In Comment #13, you said, “Look, I’m not saying that it’s a bad thing. It’s quite a good thing in fact. ... I just don’t think that someone’s going to look at this and say ‘Wow, they’re giving 5% of the ipod’s cost to AIDS…I need to go buy an iPod now!’ “

That clarifies your position for me, and invalidates most of my snarky comment directly above this one. I apologize for the negativity I directed toward you, and as far as I’m concerned, everything’s cool now.  smile

Posted by BJ Nemeth on October 13, 2006 at 1:43 AM (PDT)

it’s interesting how it’s become cool to diss celebrities trying to do something good with their fame and fortune. Bono is so far beyond what anyone; famous, rich, or otherwise, has done, it’s incredible. this guy is out there trying to raise awareness about the reality of the world’s poorest and most vulnerable, and it’s cool to diss him because he’s over 40… even though he’s been championing human rights since he was in his early 20s, longer than some people posting here have probably been alive.

The RED campaign is a way for corporations to make money while at the same time making a difference. it’s an attempt to create a win/win situation for everyone involved. the idea is that charity doesn’t have to be a financial liability. it’s a cool idea, and one that we should hope will catch on.

these things have the potential to do a lot of good, although the more we throw at various problems (AIDS, malaria, education) the more we realize the shortcomings of the poorest nation’s infrastructure (not enough nurses, supplies, clinics), and the more difficult it becomes to reach people with help. but regardless, this kind of thing is a step in the right direction. we all live in and benefit from our capitalist society, and no it’s not perfect or even largely ethical, it’s the best we’ve got. finding a way to funnel more corporate money (which is often earned at the the expense of the working poor) into public service is a Good Thing. i don’t understand the hate.

Posted by mrfett in Washington, D.C. on October 13, 2006 at 4:03 AM (PDT)

heres an idea… spend less time complaining about this stuff…work a little harder… and then buy an ipod AND donate 200 bucks to the cause of your choice…. geeez…

Posted by jazz on October 13, 2006 at 5:05 AM (PDT)

The Red iPod is now on Apple’s site, by the way.

Posted by Nick on October 13, 2006 at 5:09 AM (PDT)

Will the Red ipod be available in UK?

Posted by Russ on October 13, 2006 at 5:45 AM (PDT)

There was an earlier article, I forget which, where someone replied “come on folks, Apple IS the establishment”.
Oprah is now involved, what more proof of that statement do you need?
It is admirable that a company is donating a share to a good cause.  As the “establishment” this is expected.  You make your wealth and you share a bit.
You can be certain though that the amount donated is carefully calculated to not interfere with profits.  That would be bad business for a profit maker.
I would like to see companies give more but that is unrealistic thinking.  Each does what it feels like it can.  Let us support them in giving what they do because without that there would be a noticable drop in support.
What is unfortunate is that a company has to do this in order to(in a way) get the mass public to make a donation to charitable causes.  That says nothing positive about the “good will” of the people.

Posted by SouthernGothic on October 13, 2006 at 5:49 AM (PDT)

Posted by Claude on October 13, 2006 at 5:53 AM (PDT)

For a site that refers to itself as “all things iPod, iTunes and beyond”, iLounge seems to have missed the other (PRODUCT)RED iTunes-related announcement…that being the Motorola SLVR (RED) in the UK and RAZR (RED) in the US.

Both are iTunes-equipped.

Posted by PushButtonAction in Atlanta, GA on October 13, 2006 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Christ.  They donate X, and what does everyone do?  Demand that they donate X*Y.  Why not just say “Wow, that’s nice of Apple” instead of demand that they donate MORE?  I didn’t hear many complaints about Apple’s charitable giving (Jobs, maybe, but not Apple) before this release, but now that they are giving some away, everyone whines that they aren’t giving more.  It would make me want to stop altogether.

Posted by Chris on October 13, 2006 at 6:52 AM (PDT)

Bono is a great guy and a great musician and Oprah is sincere too. Yes, Apple gets a tax write off and and Apple, Oprah Inc and Bono Inc get good publicity but that’s how it goes in this game. I wouldn’t buy this (or anything) just to give $10 to charity, but if I was in the market for a Nano I’d buy this one. I don’t think $10/5% is a figure to be scoffed at. Apple is a huge global corporation who will sell thousands or millions of these and it will add up to a tremendous amount of money. The good thing about Bono is that he is beyond “awareness” to getting real world results. I feel confident that when Bono is behind something good things will happen.

Posted by morebinky on October 13, 2006 at 7:07 AM (PDT)

Page 2 of 3 pages  <  1 2 3 >