Replacement battery for 3G iPods released | iLounge News

Replacement battery for 3G iPods released

LaptopsForLess has released a battery replacement for 3rd generation (docking) iPods. The kit includes battery, installation instructions and a small screw driver. We do not recommend using the metal screw driver, because it can scratch your iPod when trying to open the case. Try using a thin, sturdy peice of plastic instead. The battery kit costs $49 and includes a one year warranty.

« Recommended FireWire and USB 2.0 cards for iPod

iSkinWorld.com UK »

Comments

I don’t get it.  Is this just a replacement battery for when we wear down the old one, or does it have an enormous life and we should swap it with the current one anyway?

Posted by Jeremy on October 23, 2003 at 7:00 AM (PDT)

as far as I’m aware, its just a replacement battery for when you wear down your current one…

Wasn’t one of the reasons apple switched batteries because it didnt wear down at all?

Posted by FnArFy on October 23, 2003 at 7:02 AM (PDT)

The specs for the replacement battery are 1500mAh vs only 630mAh per the apple spec sheet.  The higher mAh rating should, in theory, increase battery life.  I could be wrong.

Posted by cougardew on October 23, 2003 at 7:53 AM (PDT)

My understanding is that the 3G batteries will get an average of 500 recharges.  This is a replacement battery.  I don’t know if its performance is superior to the one provided.

Posted by Mark on October 23, 2003 at 8:06 AM (PDT)

As cougardew stated, the default 3G iPod battery is rated at 630mAh.  This one is 1500mAh.  This quantity represents the amount of charge that the battery holds (Current*time=charge).

Thus, this battery, *in theory*, and *if* the specs are correct, would get more than double the 3G iPod’s current 5-7 hour life.

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 23, 2003 at 8:29 AM (PDT)

OK we need some adventurous souls to get up some reviews of this new battery! thanks in advance grin

Posted by Austen on October 23, 2003 at 8:54 AM (PDT)

Somehow, I don’t feel like pulling my 3 week old 40 GB model apart just yet…..

But I’m sure happy that replacement batteries will be available when/if I need one.

I second the motion for ‘adventurous souls’

Posted by lukechip on October 23, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

Already being done:

Posted by SpideyPod on October 23, 2003 at 8:57 AM (PDT)

I’m also thinking that it will take twice as long to charge the replacement battery.

Posted by cougardew on October 23, 2003 at 9:35 AM (PDT)

Entirely possible.  Worth it, though.  especially if you’re like me, and in the habit of charging each night.

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 23, 2003 at 9:36 AM (PDT)

True.  True.  My only reservation is that I can’t fiqure out how they more than doubled the efficency.  The battery has the same physical size right?  The replacement battery is Li-ion.  Is the oem battery a different technology?

Posted by cougardew on October 23, 2003 at 10:25 AM (PDT)

I swapped out the older NiMH batteries in my mp3 player for new ones, $2, 2200mAh each.

Why can’t Apple go with standard NiMH? Even AAA (around 800 mAh) or AAAA size?!?

More than you ever wanted to know about batteries here:

Lithium Ion Chemistry:

“During recent years, several types of Li-ion batteries have emerged with only one thing in common the catchword ‘lithium’. Although strikingly similar on the outside, lithium-based batteries can vary widely.”

Posted by NiMH on October 23, 2003 at 11:52 AM (PDT)

Hate to break everyone’s bubble, but the website now says 850mAh now.  Still an improvement over 630, but not the giant leap in capacity we had hoped for.

Posted by Nuclear Monk on October 23, 2003 at 12:35 PM (PDT)

Doing some quick math, assuming that the oem battery gives a max of 8 hrs, @ 630mAh would equal 78.75mA used per hour.  Therefore 850mAh at 78.75mA used per hour would equal 10.8hrs playback time. Is a 30% increase worth $50?  The bigger question is if you want to buy something from a vendor that just changed the specs?

Posted by cougardew on October 23, 2003 at 3:13 PM (PDT)

30% increase, lasting up to 10.8 hours????

More like the 8hours that Apple first promised us!

Posted by Tony on October 24, 2003 at 12:49 AM (PDT)

In real world use I would agree with Tony.  My math was done using claimed specs.

Posted by cougardew on October 24, 2003 at 2:36 AM (PDT)

I get the full 8 (even sometimes +1/4 to 1/2!) hours out of my normal ipod 3g….
And I have bitrates MP3CBR 160 - 320… Many As1MP3 ripped albums…
jojo

Posted by jesaja on October 24, 2003 at 3:12 AM (PDT)

Are the battery indicators on the new 40gig iPods accurate??  If so why does mine show approx 1 quarter batt left after 2hours use (from full charge)  is this correct???

Posted by Botty on October 29, 2003 at 1:14 AM (PDT)

Firmware 2.1’s battery indicator is reportedly dropping too fast.  You’re not alone.  :-D

Posted by azdude_15gb on October 29, 2003 at 4:25 AM (PDT)

Thanks azdude_15gb

I finally let the ipod battery run all the way down, it lasted about 6.5 hours. Half of that time the battery indicator was blank.

Posted by Botty on October 29, 2003 at 5:26 AM (PDT)