Report: Apple discussing Verizon iPhone for 2010 | iLounge News

Report: Apple discussing Verizon iPhone for 2010

Verizon and Apple are formally discussing the possibility of introducing a Verizon-compatible iPhone next year, according to a new report. Citing “people familiar with the situation,” USA Today reports that the two companies entered into “high-level” discussions months ago while Steve Jobs was still overseeing day-to-day business at Apple. While the article states that the phone would be built to run on Verizon’s current CDMA wireless network, Verizon plans to begin commercial use of its next-generation Long Term Evolution (LTE) 4G network in 2010, suggesting that the negotiations may instead be targeting this more advanced network platform. AT&T is expected to launch a commercial LTE network in mid-2011, leaving Verizon a brief window of 4G exclusivity in which it could take advantage of a 4G iPhone. In addition, Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg recently commented that Apple would be more likely to offer the iPhone to Verizon once it had transitioned to a LTE network. USA Today claims that AT&T has exclusive U.S. iPhone distribution rights into 2010—though it is said to be seeking an extension through 2011—and would likely continue to offer the iPhone even if Verizon were to offer it as well.

« Skyhook CEO: iPhone driving demand for location-based services

DomeSkin launches line of iPhone, iPod skins »

Comments

Although I haven’t had any major problems with my iPhone/AT&T;combination, I would love to see Verizon offer this phone, as I would definitely switch (back).  All of my family, and most of my wife’s business colleagues are on Verizon and it would be nice to make those free in-carrier calls.  Also, AT&T;has no coverage where my mother lives, which is very annoying when I visit (more bars in more places…I don’t know about that).  I was planning to buy the next iPhone (June maybe?), and renew with AT&T;, but may have to keep tabs on these developments and wait.  Either way, this is great news.

Posted by franticnomad on April 27, 2009 at 9:45 AM (CDT)

This is what I’ve been waiting to hear since the iPhone came out.

Posted by Peterphan on April 27, 2009 at 9:51 AM (CDT)

I will drop ATT right away. I can set in one spot, in my home office and watch my cell phone go from full bars to non and never move from my office seat. I can’t tell you how many times that has happen. I have tried 3 different Iphone and that didn’t help so it has to be ATT and they don’t seem to give a crap, tech support sucks and i drop calls like crazy from home.

Posted by Shameless1 on April 27, 2009 at 10:14 AM (CDT)

I’ve had good luck with AT&T;but would still probably switch to Verizon because my wifes phone gets much better service through them.

Posted by Ryan on April 27, 2009 at 10:46 AM (CDT)

I wonder if they will force you to buy a certain “iPhone"plan, like at&t;did/does. Or if you can add it to your current plan

Posted by Brennan on April 27, 2009 at 11:06 AM (CDT)

That’s interesting. Everything I had read prior to this news is that Verizon would probably get iPhone after LTE was launched, since Verizon and AT&T;‘s LTE networks would be fairly similar and wouldn’t require completely new hardware for each carrier.

Conventional wisdom seemed to indicate a CDMA iPhone wasn’t going to happen, though I never really understood why it wasn’t possible (contractual obligations aside, of course).

As a Verizon customer, I’d love to see it happen, though my stance is I’ll believe it when I see Steve Jobs or Tim Cook whip out a Verizon iPhone on stage.

Posted by cxc273 on April 27, 2009 at 11:17 AM (CDT)

“I never really understood why it wasn’t possible”

It’s always been possible. However, a lot of engineering and testing goes into the development of a phone on a per-radio-standard basis and Apple would not likely find it “worth it” to do so for such a small relative market (compared with GSM).

Posted by NameIsDavid on April 27, 2009 at 12:39 PM (CDT)

Can’t wait until 2010! I’ve been waiting to hear news like this since the iPhone’s launch.
I despise AT&T;, but I LOVE my iPhone.

Posted by ~ruindpzzle in san diego, CA on April 27, 2009 at 1:47 PM (CDT)

This is AWESOME news!!!!  I can only hope that it is true.  I completely enjoy having Verizon and I have always wanted an iPhone, but have never bought one because there is no service in the my state.  I did not want to buy a Blackberry Touch just to “feel” like I have an iphone so I am REALLY happy about this news!!!!!

Posted by Tak Engle on April 27, 2009 at 2:38 PM (CDT)

if this is true, it’ll come out in the middle of my two year contract… if i were to buy an iphone at full price would i have to sign up for another 2 years, or because i bought it by itself be able to continue my prior contract?

Posted by Jamal on April 27, 2009 at 3:06 PM (CDT)

I hope this is true, I have had nothing but problems with AT&T;since day one.  I live in a MAJOR metropolitan area(Midtown Atlanta), but am in the middle of a six block DEAD zone!  I’ve placed trouble calls every few months and AT&T;has done nothing.  It is UNREAL.  My iPhone is fine everywhere else and my friends with AT&T;have the same issue and they don’t have iPhones.  I have 5 bars, then NO SERVICE, 90% of the calls at home drop.  Don’t even get me started with the “Fastest 3G Network” or “More Bars in More places”!!!  Not to mention “Fewest dropped calls”.. I have 4-10 dropped calls A DAY! Friends stopped calling me on my cell phone, that’s how bad it is.

Posted by markie66 on April 28, 2009 at 10:45 AM (CDT)