Report: Apple, HP plan 1 million iPods per month? | iLounge News

Report: Apple, HP plan 1 million iPods per month?

Citing comments from research and investment house Susquehanna Financial Group pertaining to memory maker Lexar Media’s sales of NAND flash memory, CBS Marketwatch reports that “Susquehanna… added that the popular Apple iPod also uses the NAND type of flash memory and that demand is strong, with Apple and Hewlett-Packard planning to ship about 1 million iPods per month starting in October.”

If accurate, the projected volume of shipments would represent an increase of approximately three times known monthly sales of iPods for the preceding quarter, and suggests that Apple and HP anticipate a banner holiday season for iPod sales.

« iPoDonut now available for 4G and iPod mini

Legalize file-sharing with taxes? »

Comments

Those are aggressive sales forecasts, but if they can pull it off more power to the Apple/HP iPod.

Posted by richmds in Los Angeles on September 21, 2004 at 10:36 PM (CDT)

ipods do actually use flash memory as their 20 minuite skip protection, so the disk isnt always on. so this could make sense.

Posted by peterburk in Geneva, Switzerland on September 21, 2004 at 10:51 PM (CDT)

is it flash memory or very small buffer?

Posted by rivlinm on September 21, 2004 at 11:15 PM (CDT)

Note that we removed the question in the article regarding the use of NAND flash memory, which is ancillary to the issue of the projected sales of the iPod.

Posted by Jeremy Horwitz on September 21, 2004 at 11:45 PM (CDT)

Well the i think its a buffer coz i read an article and it has a 35 MB buffer wich gives it 25 min skip protection

Posted by Shashwat on September 22, 2004 at 5:12 AM (CDT)

Those are some awesome sales forecasts…let’s see if they can’t make it!

Posted by Asian_N02 in Delaware on September 22, 2004 at 6:52 AM (CDT)

I saw one of the HP iPods in a Fred Meyer the other day. I guess I was expecting something different, but it’s pretty much the 4G iPod with an HP logo engraved on the back. um… and the price was exactly the same (20 GB @ $299) as what Apple sells it’s version for. So I wonder what the point of the HP version is. Anyone?

Posted by ikelleigh on September 22, 2004 at 9:18 AM (CDT)

“So I wonder what the point of the HP version is. Anyone?”

Distribution

Posted by ipeddler on September 22, 2004 at 9:59 AM (CDT)

the HP version has 1 year phone support and better support for PC users.

Apple only gives 30days of phone support.

other than that they are identical

Posted by hp on September 22, 2004 at 12:52 PM (CDT)

>>So I wonder what the point of the HP version is. Anyone?

The iPod wouldn’t be available at Fred Meyer if it weren’t for HP.

Posted by Neutral on September 22, 2004 at 1:05 PM (CDT)

It is flash Memory so it won’t skip.  I wonder why apple doesn’t say how much memory probably 32mb or something small.  It would not be 20 minutes protection if you use a losless format or high bitrate mp3’s AAC’s etc. what is with this.

Posted by Jonathan on September 22, 2004 at 2:32 PM (CDT)

I am betting that estimate is based off of 128kbps AAC files, like “10,000 songs in your pocket”. If you use lossless, you could not hold that many.

Posted by John on September 22, 2004 at 5:11 PM (CDT)

I can’t believe that Apple would use flash for a streaming buffer. Flash is for non-volatile storage. To use it instead of cheaper RAM for a buffer would be bone-headed.

I think either Susquehanna’s statement about the iPod using flash is either dead wrong, or they know something we don’t, in which case somebody has probably violated Sarbanes-Oxley by revealing these details to Susquehanna and not to the public. Either way, something’s screwy.

To me, the statement seems to predict that Apple (and HP, apparently) will release some new iPod during October, using Lexar-brand NAND flash, and the price will be so low (say $99 or $149) that they really think iPod unit sales will increase by 4x. Sounds fishy to me, but hey, maybe loose Lexar lips let the cat out of the bag (if you’ll excuse the mixed metaphor), and something significant is afoot.

I’ll just go buy some LEXR shares just in case…

Posted by Sum Yung Gai on September 23, 2004 at 12:51 AM (CDT)

The iPod (mini and 4G) doesn’t use NAND or NOR flash for the buffer. This has been shown in disassembly photos. If it did use flash, then we wouldn’t be seeing the current complaints about how quickly the battery drains in sleep-mode.

Posted by Neutral on September 23, 2004 at 2:29 AM (CDT)

The iPod has had a 32MB Flash buffer for who knows how long now.  This is no big secret.  It uses Flash because it requires very little battery power to operate, and cuts down on hard drive access thus giving you longer battery life.

Posted by Joseph on September 24, 2004 at 2:10 PM (CDT)

Did anyone here ever think that the day would come when they would see an Apple product for sale in a Radio Shack?  Well, today was that day (for me).  I went in there to buy some cable ties and saw the Apple+HP ipod (20 gig) boxes sitting right next to the cash register.  I will never see or understand the point of this co-branding of the iPod, especially when iPods for Windows were already available at places other than through Apple directly (like Amazon.com, Best Buy, eCost and other tech resellers).

I also resent the fact that the HP logo has that word “invent” within its logo - and this product came from Apple who DID invent it.  What irony, that HP wants so badly to be a part of this product’s success when they would not even give Steve Wozniak the time of day at the time he presented the very first Apple computer to them….

Posted by bjbear71 on September 25, 2004 at 3:19 PM (CDT)

“I also resent the fact that the HP logo has that word “invent” within its logo - and this product came from Apple who DID invent it. What irony”

The bigger irony is probably that HP (wel, Compaq) did actually invent the portable hard disk jukebox back in the mid-late 1990s in Palo Alto, CA, but basically did nothing with it. Some of the research team were so cheesed off that they left and set up the company that would become PortalPlayer, who designed the the guts of the iPod (and the Samsung and Philips players, by and by).

Interestingly, PortalPlayer just filed for IPO, and as part of their filing they revealed that a little-known Taiwanese company called Inventec actually manufactures the iPods under contract.

Inventec actually manufacturers a lot of hardware that people think is “American”. The TI graphing calculators, for example, are also an Inventec product.

So I guess it makes sense for both Apple and HP to have the same company make their product and then brand it differently.

Posted by irony on September 25, 2004 at 4:20 PM (CDT)

Are the add ons for the apple ipod compatible with the HP version?

Posted by WOLF MAN on September 26, 2004 at 10:25 AM (CDT)

I just so happen to work at a Radio Shack myself, and this is what I know.

I hear from many that HP got into it to help their sales.
I also heard that Apple went to them for better mass manufacturing.

eathier way you want to think…

Now at the latest training session for RS employees we were told somthing along these lines “RS is such a known company that companys come to us. They want us to carry their products becasue if we do it immedatatly goes nationwide with more than 5,000 stores in operation.”

So maby Apple needed a vessile, such a RS’s partner HP, in order to push out more iPods.

Now I know that even with HP building the silly things that only the top 2,500 MP3 selling stores in the US are going to get these. For instance our store got 2 of the 20 gig, and 2 of the 40 gig. This was on the 24th of september. I bought mine that night, next day all the stores got a memo stating that associates were not allowed to purchese the items. (w00t! I slipped thru).

Now, my buddie was telling me that the campus computer store could not keep up with demand for the things at all.

This is just my .02 cents. B.T.W bjbear71 was that the bittersweet RS you saw that at?

Oh, and just so you know the support is really the only difference, aside from the engraving on the case. EXACTLY the same. EVERY iPod accessorie will work, because their allmost EXACTLY the same.

Posted by SherSlick on September 30, 2004 at 12:33 AM (CDT)