Report: Apple nabbing flash memory for iPod update | iLounge News

Report: Apple nabbing flash memory for iPod update

Apple is buying up large quantities of flash memory for a possible upcoming iPod nano launch, according to a DigiTimes report. “Following recent signs of recovery for the price of NAND flash, industry sources are confident that the industry should break out of its low point as Apple is booking considerable capacity at chip makers,” the publication reports. “Apple is likely to debut a new version of its iPod with a larger memory capacity, probably with 8GB of NAND flash, according to industry sources. Industry sources hinted that both leading Korea-based chipmakers, including Samsung and Hynix have both landed more orders from Apple.”

« Apple intros new U2 iPod

Apple launches ‘Back to School’ iPod promo »

Comments

Ooooh. I hope this is true. The only thing keeping me from a nano is lack of a 6gig or larger version. 1000 songs just isn’t enough anymore.

Posted by Aceon6 in New England, USA on June 5, 2006 at 2:51 PM (CDT)

I just bought an iPod Video 30 GB, but originally wanted a nano. But now i couldn’t imagine an iPod without video. It is said that the new nano will have video but on that small screen??? Come on.

Posted by Pilot on June 5, 2006 at 3:15 PM (CDT)

I’m hoping eventually news like this will mean a 30/60GB flash iPod. It’ll be a couple of years yet I know, and my combo of a 4GB nano and a 60GB 5G iPod will do.

Posted by Piarco75 on June 5, 2006 at 3:27 PM (CDT)

Well… actually i’m still waiting for the 1TB’er embedded in my earlobe… and that’ll be another 50 years or so isn’t it? Too bad. I’ll just stick with my shuffle then.

Posted by Just me on June 5, 2006 at 3:39 PM (CDT)

God,

If you’re listening, please tell Apple that I’d like an 80 or 100GB iPod, and I’ll buy an 8 or 10GB flash nano just to be a good little consumer if they promise to make the huge one.

Thanks,

Someone who likes his music to sound good, therefore uses a lot of space on his iPod.

Posted by stark23x on June 5, 2006 at 3:40 PM (CDT)

Lucifer,

I know you’re listening, so please command Apple to finally release a 120GB or 160GB iPod. Tell them I’ll even buy 3 or 4 of these new nanos just to be a greedy and devilish consumer if they acquiesce to my desires. I’ll buy TWO (no, make that THREE) of these big mamas if they finally build in AM/FM and a user-replaceable battery compartment.

As always, may we all rot in…well, you know where…

Your pal, flatline

Posted by flatline response on June 5, 2006 at 4:48 PM (CDT)

I’ll take a 120 gigger with a 16:9 screen, Bluetooth 2.0 and optical audio output for $400.

Posted by Galley in Greenville, SC on June 5, 2006 at 5:42 PM (CDT)

I’ll take an 8GB Nano w/ gapless playback, Bluetooth 2.0, WiFi, and video for $300+.  Screw the AM/FM, this isn’t the 90s.

Posted by Sean on June 5, 2006 at 6:51 PM (CDT)

I don’t care about all those extra features, I’d just like the 60GBs to drop below $200. That would be awesome.

Josh

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on June 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM (CDT)

er.. that was supposed to be $250. But $200 would be even better ;)

Posted by Josh Powell in VA on June 5, 2006 at 7:05 PM (CDT)

i would like apple to release a true video version of ipod nano which has a touch screen and a screen which covers the whole front face of ipod nano…......im day dreaming about it right now ;)

Posted by Red Hot on June 5, 2006 at 7:59 PM (CDT)

what?! 8GB nano…how about at least 10GB…

Posted by mike on June 5, 2006 at 8:15 PM (CDT)

I second Galley’s suggestion.

Posted by LukeA on June 5, 2006 at 9:43 PM (CDT)

I hope this is released in June.

Posted by Phil Smith on June 6, 2006 at 10:42 AM (CDT)

it would be best if it was all free

Posted by chicken tenders on June 6, 2006 at 12:04 PM (CDT)

Screw the AM/FM

That explains it. I KNEW there had to be a reason why kids seemed so misinformed these days. Guess they forgot real times news and information was always at their fingertips…except on an iPod without extra-cost add-ons.

Didn’t realize promoting ignorance was such a hip, 21st century thang…(“isn’t the 90s”...yeah, right)

Posted by flatline response on June 6, 2006 at 12:23 PM (CDT)

Posted by some1212 on June 6, 2006 at 5:48 PM (CDT)

“I bet Apple will switch to 5gb and 10gb Nano’s. There will have to be a big feature addition, though. Like, a built in mic or a range of colors. Or better games and an addon controller (Think Nintnedo’s Wii)

Or possibly they’ll add more sport-like features, such as a built in step counter.”

I’m trying to decide if this was all some poorly executed form of sarcasm…

There is nothing in your post that I’d so much as bet a nickel on because they’re so unApple in design and/or impractical to ever consider.

1) 10GB of flash for under $300: not going to happen this year, period. 8GB will be pushing the envelope, and I won’t be surprised to see 6GB be the top of the line.

2) Built in mic: Probably never happen on an iPod, but if it does it will happen on the bigger iPods first, not something they barely could fit in the chasis to begin with.

3) Better games: Maybe, but the new controller idea will never happen. We’re 30 years into Macs and they just the option of ordering one with a 2 button mouse, they’re not going with *anything* that requires them to abandon the scroll/click wheel anytime soon unless it’s a touch screen version of the same (but I’m skeptical of that ever happening either).

4) Sport features: Yes, because the sports market makes up such a large percentage of the nano’s sales that you want to add another piece of hardware to it for everyone else. If Apple wants to figure out what else they can stick in a nano, I’ll take a better battery first and not a feature I can buy at Wal-Mart for $5.

Posted by Code Monkey in Midstate New York on June 7, 2006 at 7:21 PM (CDT)

The Mac isn’t quite 30 years old yet. The company that makes them is. There’s a reason why the TV commercial that launched the Mac is titled “1984.”

Posted by Plan-B on June 9, 2006 at 1:48 AM (CDT)